Race Radio

Volcom1095

Reaction
i have the icom moble radio and it works great its got 30 channel memmory and is all fully programable
has good range and only cost $250. the model is IC-2100 FM transreciever

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Get a Kenwood. You can dial in all the channels yourself...no need to have it programmed. It has never let us down for chasing....would not recommend for racing.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

schafer

Reaction
thats what im gonna get, im also going for the tech (nocode) lisc, and doing the mod after that.

I want to tank JC and Many others who posted in the Shop area about it, i did search for race radio and nothing good came up, but he bumped it and i got quite a bit of info that i have been searching for, for some time.

Thanks Guys!

Corey Schafer

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I'm not sure what you found out in the shop forum but just in case here is what you need.

I have one right in front of me. It costs about $180 I think. You have to cut a wire inside to make it get the correct frequency range. It is a Kenwood TM-261

E-mail me and I can get you in touch with the person that hooked me up with where to get it and how to do the mod.

This is the best radio you could possibly get for the price. If it is the Kenwood that Kritter was refering to, he is right about not using it for racing.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Corey,

FYI getting the Tech License does not make modifying the Kenwood legal.

Might make ya feel better though.

Reese

schafer

Reaction
no i realize that, the BB is ment for people who pay for the bandwith, im going to actually try to install a small switch so that if i have my friends or something iwth me, they wont try talking to cops or anything else.. it still would be nice to have the tech lisc.. atleast i feel im somewhat ok.

Corey Schafer

Jack

Reaction
Switching back and forth wont work, the radio has to be reset and reprogramed after cutting wire, and would have to be done each time you go back and forth.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I have a Kenwood TMV7a and have had no problems with it. It is a dual band transciever with dual recieve. You can monitor your race freq as well as the weatherman or scan race channels or whatever. It is modified (I had it done for $50). The work is warrantied. PM me if you have any questions on that.

It is ILLEGAL for any amatuer (ham) radio to be modified in any way. It is also against FCC regs to use an amatuer band radio for business or professional use (like racing). However, many people do including myself.

About the license - if you are planning on using the amatuer radio for amatuer use, you have get a license. I have a no code license and use repeaters (autopatch) all around the sountern cali area (free). There are "open" repeaters all over the country. There are some in mex also. Also, if you are planning on taking a course for your license, I would not recommed it. They are expensive and you can just purchase the books and study yourself. I paid $6.25 for taking my test and about $12 on books. Good luck.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I have a cheap Kenwood in my F-350 and a nice Vertex in the prerunner. Both have the same RF power. The F-350 has a better ground plane with a "center of roof" mount in the steel. The prerunner's antenna is on the back corner of the roof section of the cage. Both rigs have perfectly matched antenna and coax. The Vertex in the prerunner outperforms the Kenwood in a very significant way.

You get what you pay for.

PJCinLV

Jack

Reaction
And that significant way would be audio from the speaker. The little speakers in the ham radios suck for high noise areas, so you need to buy an add on speaker. Other then that, there will be no difference in the transmit distance if all other parameters are equal. Coax length is also important to keep it in multiples of the operating freq. and good connections. Avoid magmounts, they do not provide adequate ground.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

And that significant way would be audio from the speaker

<hr></blockquote>

Not so.. I have a fairly decent path of RF experience from operating a few large cellular telephone networks.

The "significant difference" is simply better reception and what appears to be a lot more power when on our frequency. People can hear the Vertex more often and with better clearity over the Kenwoods.

Thanks

PJCinLV

TimHayosh

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The "significant difference" is simply better reception and what appears to be a lot more power when on our frequency

<hr></blockquote>

I may be able to shed some actual scientific light on that scenario. While tuning an antenna for a brand new Kenwood 261A with a wattmeter (not SWR), the Kenwood put out about 47 watts (powered through cig socket). This was an unaltered radio on an actual HAM band; a band the radio was built for.

When I tuned to a 15X.XXX freq, the output wattage dropped significantly. The antenna was shortened to optimize it's use at this higher freq. The output wattage remained at this lower figure (about 35 watts). I suspect this is due to the radio operating outside of design parameters. Perhaps tweeking the VCO would get this back where we'd like it. I don't have a service manual, so I haven't messed with it.

This would explain why the radio performs perfectly in the HAM bands, while possibly putting out less power in the higher business bands.

Something to consider.

Happy motoring, Tim

Jack

Reaction
This I can see, and would be different for all radios operating out of their original range. This may not be enough of an issue with some radios. Especially when you are talking about a radio that is used a few times a year, may need to be reprogrammed for new freq. (not free on a business band radio) and cost about twice as much.
I hate to see people pay for more then they need but I guess that goes along the lines of people building a trophy truck to use as a grocery getter.