Race Radio's

Sean

Reaction
Race Radio\'s

I was wondering which is the most popular radio the you guys use to communicate while racing/prerunner or what ever? Is it a CB or something better? More info the better.

Sean

Reaction
Re: Race Radio\'s

I read that before i posted my question. I was almost 8 pages about which wire to cut to get the radio to tx and information on old freq'z. All i'm trying to find out is what type of radio's are used for racing and the application for which is best for, From say a TT team like Terable Hearbt's and all the way down to the weekend warriours. I hope this clears up my question.

SuperDave

Reaction

Maybe look for something that has 40 to 50 watts of power (CB radios have 4 watts) and operates in the 150-160 frequency range. Some people refer this this as a FM radio. I seem to get roughly a 35-50 mile range with my PCI Roadmaster radio and I think it has 50 watts.

Also the solder joint was offering a "show special" last year at the off-road expo. Try calling them and see what they have to say or recommend.

http://www.thesolderjoint.com/

jimpat

Reaction

call Scott at PCI....you may find radios for a little less money but when you need help, Scott will always be there to solve your radio problems and as a racer I can say that it's worth a bunch of $ to have Scott taking the time at contingency to fix your problem
jim

racer951

Reaction

Yeam FM radio's with 150-170 range are great...and quality depends on cash as usual. Standard radios are 50 watts (or close to). Icom makes a 75 watter for less than most 50 watts, but if you want terrible herbst like radio's as you mentioned above go for a 110-watt radio. I know Kenwood makes em' and they're around a grand a piece. Otherwikse icom is about 250 and roadmaster's 400? if my memory serves me right.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction

Sean.

Perhaps if all you want is listen into the action look into a scanner.
Radio Shack sells lots of models.

Listening into the main channel "weatherman" is a lot of fun as he announces leaders though the checkpoints. You will be able to listen into any incidents.
During the long Baja races Bob Steinberger (Weatherman) gets a little cranky at times when people abuse the dedicated channel.

It has been a big part of my desert racing spectating carreer.