Race Resume

KitRacer

Reaction
I have been asked to make a race resume for a potential sponsor. Usually i just hand over a little excel document with a list of all my wins and what not. This time they want the full on resume and i cant figure out what is important to have on this kind of resume. Should it be similar to a job resume? I'm sure some of you on this board are familiar with these and have done one before. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kbach66

Reaction
I looked over a friends racing resume a few months back, so I have some ideas....but the best would be for me to just send it to you (as long as he doesn't care).

It's not offroad related, it's for open wheel Formula Mazda and American LeMans Series stuff...but it should give you an idea.

I'll try and get a hold of the revised copy and send it to you.
PM me with your email.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Eric,

I used to sent them out to all my potential sponsors when I raced DH...
Contact info similar to a job resume, and make it a word document, all of your races from the past year you've ran, and how you placed. You may want to put major wins and other awards on there as well.

Print it out on nice bond paper with a cover sheet to your contact, send it by mail, and throw in a nice picture of the racecar in action. That will work wonders. A "hero card" with the car, driver and co-driver pics would work good for this...

Just think of what you'd like to see if you were a sponsor.

Hope this helps

-Gabe

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Eric-

Custom race resume's and driver/team profiles are just one of the creative services we offer. A sample can be seen at the following link:
http://www.dmsrace.com/resume.htm

Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help get you taken care of.
tony@tbdesignworks.com

slimjim

Reaction
i gotta say, that is a kick-ass racing resume! if you are really serious about getting some sponsors, and some $ - Tony's resume looks like it will work for sure. I think this is one project where it is a good idea to spend a couple bucks, because you might get a big return on that investment.

erikh

Reaction
I couldn't agree more. The similarities between running a race team on sponsorship money and any business start-up venture seem pretty comparible. Just as any business seeking funding from a VC, angel or friends and family, a "professional" race team should put together some sort of marketing strategy. The old saying, you gotta spend money to make money seems appropriate. It doesn't need to be that much but more than just entry fees and prep fees on your race car/truck if you're looking for someone else to give you money to support your racing/business. Even writing a business plan would make sense to me.

I think all race teams need some sort of print campaign (whether that's hero cards, race resume, posters, stickers, etc) coupled with a web site to promote themselves, their sponsors and the sport in general. This would help build a measurable ROI for the sponsors money and allow you to seek more funding/sponsorship later.

erik

KitRacer

Reaction
Did you say make money racing? Hah, thats the last thing i want to do. Just breaking even is way more than i ever expect. I think that if i were to persue racing as a job to make money at, that it would lose all the fun that it has. Maybe if i pick up a few more sponsors, i wont have to dig into dads pockets so deep anymore. Thanx for all the great suggestions, i think i am going to go with what Tony Barraza offered, that is if its within my budget

erikh

Reaction
No. I realize making money in off-road racing is next to impossible. But there are lots of businesses out there that don't make money but "break even" doing what they love. So, my point was to get sponsors to pay for most of a team's expenses (making money) you need to spend some money (building a web site, printing hero cards etc.)

erik

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Due to several inquiries via e-mail, I thought I'd share a few sample covers from previous driver/team profiles-

<font color="yellow">Jim - Thanks for the compliment!</font color>