Race rules in baja? What are they for???

CHEEZEBERGER

MY QUESTION WOULD BE, WHY HAVE RULES IN OFF ROAD RACING? NO ONE IS GOING TO FOLLOW THEM. DO THE BIGGER TEAMS HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET AWAY WITH MORE? VILDOSOLA GOT CAUGHT. ROBBY WAS FILMED THIS LAST BAJA 1000. BJ HIT SOMEONE. STILL CROWNED CHAMP. CASELLI PASSED AWAY. NOTHING DONE BY THE HIGHER POWERS AND SHOULD THERE BE??? JUST WONDERING. WHAT DO THE FANS AND RACERS THINK???:confused:

Dezert00Taco

Kinda beating a dead horse with this thread. If you payed attention to any other threads Robby wasn't near the race course in the "cheating" video posted. That was already cleared up. Vildasola's were caught and obviously punished for breaking the rules. That's what happens when any one doesn't follow the rules and gets caught. The BJ accident was just that an accident he was close to Mac coming into pit he wasn't driving crazy or out of control in the videos I saw of the accident. So should he be punished for that? I don't think so.

mexgamer

MY QUESTION WOULD BE, WHY HAVE RULES IN OFF ROAD RACING? NO ONE IS GOING TO FOLLOW THEM. DO THE BIGGER TEAMS HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET AWAY WITH MORE? VILDOSOLA GOT CAUGHT. ROBBY WAS FILMED THIS LAST BAJA 1000. BJ HIT SOMEONE. STILL CROWNED CHAMP. CASELLI PASSED AWAY. NOTHING DONE BY THE HIGHER POWERS AND SHOULD THERE BE??? JUST WONDERING. WHAT DO THE FANS AND RACERS THINK???:confused:
Most rules in place are to keep everyone safe: speed limits on highway sections and checkpoints, not pitting on the highway or extremely close to it (highways in Baja are tight, imagine having your pit crew working near the highway while semis pass by; if you think getting hit by a TT is bad imagine getting hit by a semi). Even short-cutting is mostly a safety rule, why? Baja in the 60s was mostly deserted, nowadays the population has grown exponentially and if you have racers all over the place even more accidents will happen. Also, the land belongs to someone, you can't have racers driving around someone's ranch who didn't get paid for land use! Another reason is that most roads are ranch accesses: if a road is not part of course, ranchers will use them without thinking they could encounter a race car head on. Racers still get in accidents with locals driving backwards on the course but the chances of that happening would increase if you let everybody pick a different line. Still, you can pick your line in some places like Summit-San Felipe.

What Vildosola did was plain stupid and it was extremely dangerous for everybody involved, a lot of things that could have gone wrong and someone could have died.
It has been extensively discussed on another thread that Robby wasn't pitting, there's no compelling evidence per the video.
It was the pit crew member's fault that he got hit by BJ; he shouldn't have ran across the road while there was no visibility (dust).
I would expect everyone to follow the rules for their own safety; we don't want Baja to turn into what off-road racing has turned in the US, if we don't follow the rules someone will come and MAKE US follow the rules (like the BLM), so if we want to keep Baja racing we need start following the rules!
Also, a lot is being done by the "high powers". I was working at Checkpoint 6 and SCORE made it very clear that they wanted the rules to be enforced; this is what we did at our checkpoint:
- Got a bike penalized for pitting on the highway.
- Gladly, every racer entered the checkpoint area at the speed limit of 25mph.
- Everybody came to a complete stop at the stop sign.
- Warned every pit within 300 ft before and 100 ft after the checkpoint ONCE that they couldn't pit there; nobody did.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
We didn't allow ANYBODY going backwards on the course. Checkpoint 6 was located at the entrance of the Mike's road which has a lot of traffic during races. A lot of people wanted to go through for many reasons: Getting to Mike's because they had reservations, because they owned a ranch or just to chase.
SCORE instructed us not to let anybody in unless it was an emergency, and that happened only three times: one rider was injured with broken ribs so we let a chaser go through (obviously told them to be really careful) to retrieve him. One car had gone off a cliff and I think everybody was fine in the end. There was also a fire about 3 miles in so we sent somebody to check it out, but it turned out to be just a dump fire. In all three cases we informed Weatherman about the situation and those allowed in were reminded to be extremely careful.
Many locals, chase crews and people coming from the US who were going to stay at Mikes, wanted to go through but we didn't let them; we even got threatened by some guys but we didn't listen. Sometimes we had to stand in front of trucks to stop them from going in. Even after we explained to them the dangers on going backwards on a live race course they wouldn't understand. People get drunk and stupid, and that's why next time I might bring pepper spray with me jajaja, because I feared people were going to get violent with us.
A lot of people claimed to be "owners" of ranches, but SCORE gave every ranch owner a letter that allowed them through. There was only one person who we knew was an owner and he never even asked to be allowed in going backwards on the course. Here's the thing, if you own a ranch you know there other roads that will take you to it without going backwards on the course; I know a few roads leading to Mike's myself without needing to go backwards on the course (Kiliwas being one of them).

So don't say nothing is being done because that's not true at all.

P.S.: If you did find somebody going backwards on the course on that section the reason why is that people might know other roads and can bypass the checkpoint and there's nothing we can do about it.

TreyP

"F" you Bill

Why are you yelling?

DoitforBMoore

Why would Bj get penalized for someone running infront of his truck on coarse ??
Score as reviewed all footage including a overhead shot that clearly shows what happend.

mattb

Why are you yelling?
I'm pretty sure he's screaming. If it's bold and caps, he's gotta be screaming.

Nonetheless.... I had fun at the race. Got a cooler and all my food stolen. And guess what??? I don't care. No complainng allowed. Kinda how I feel about this thread!!!

Pacololo

They're for people to piss a moan about. Duuuuuuuuuuh...

Ed The Red

It's desert racing, in baja no less, let's enjoy it as it is. You can't control everything, and that's not a bad thing.

motoman29

MOST IMPORTANTLY
We didn't allow ANYBODY going backwards on the course. Checkpoint 6 was located at the entrance of the Mike's road which has a lot of traffic during races. A lot of people wanted to go through for many reasons: Getting to Mike's because they had reservations, because they owned a ranch or just to chase.
SCORE instructed us not to let anybody in unless it was an emergency, and that happened only three times: one rider was injured with broken ribs so we let a chaser go through (obviously told them to be really careful) to retrieve him. One car had gone off a cliff and I think everybody was fine in the end. There was also a fire about 3 miles in so we sent somebody to check it out, but it turned out to be just a dump fire. In all three cases we informed Weatherman about the situation and those allowed in were reminded to be extremely careful.
Many locals, chase crews and people coming from the US who were going to stay at Mikes, wanted to go through but we didn't let them; we even got threatened by some guys but we didn't listen. Sometimes we had to stand in front of trucks to stop them from going in. Even after we explained to them the dangers on going backwards on a live race course they wouldn't understand. People get drunk and stupid, and that's why next time I might bring pepper spray with me jajaja, because I feared people were going to get violent with us.
A lot of people claimed to be "owners" of ranches, but SCORE gave every ranch owner a letter that allowed them through. There was only one person who we knew was an owner and he never even asked to be allowed in going backwards on the course. Here's the thing, if you own a ranch you know there other roads that will take you to it without going backwards on the course; I know a few roads leading to Mike's myself without needing to go backwards on the course (Kiliwas being one of them).

So don't say nothing is being done because that's not true at all.

P.S.: If you did find somebody going backwards on the course on that section the reason why is that people might know other roads and can bypass the checkpoint and there's nothing we can do about it.
I personally had to deal with 6 cars coming up the Mikes road during the race

mexgamer

I personally had to deal with 6 cars coming up the Mikes road during the race
Yeah, like I said, there are plenty of roads that bypass the entrance at San Matias and I guess SCORE would need thousands of workers to cover every possible entrance to the race course... But not a lot of people know the other roads so if the San Matias entrance hadn't been closed you would have encountered even more cars. Also, by closing that entrance,even if they find a way around, they will be going backwards on the course less miles than if they entered at San Matias, which means less chances of accidents. One more thing, if you ever find a chase going backwards on the course, try to remember the number so you can report it! If they were allowed due to an emergency, fine, if they weren't then they can be DQed. As Course Workers we do everything we can (or at least we did) to keep everyone safe! We were even offered money to let 4 trucks in, we said NO! And I'm very proud of that, because guess what, we don't do it for the money, we do it because we love it.

Word of advice, if you have reservations at Mike's during a race don't take the road exactly on race day! Get there a day before so you stay safe and you don't find the road closed! People think it won't happen to them but it can happen to anybody!

JDDurfey

Since rules are being discussed... I did not think transporting riders and drivers was legal with a chopper. In Robby Bell's race report he said that Steve was in the chopper when it landed to assist him when he crashed and Steve then continued in with the bike. Is this legal?

Baja_Seve

Since rules are being discussed... I did not think transporting riders and drivers was legal with a chopper. In Robby Bell's race report he said that Steve was in the chopper when it landed to assist him when he crashed and Steve then continued in with the bike. Is this legal?
It's perfectly legal, as long as that rider/driver has not yet ridden/driven any part of the course. Score rule GL8.

JDDurfey

It's perfectly legal, as long as that rider/driver has not yet ridden/driven any part of the course. Score rule GL8.
Gotcha, I was not accusing them of cheating. I was just confused in what roll the choppers can have since the incident back at the Parker race.

A Vance

rdc has been on fire lately
What do you think the percentage of people who post on rdc has never raced in an off road race car? so they don't actually get what goes on in the car and during a race? I feel that is where a lot of these threads get started.

CHEEZEBERGER

lol! sorry about the caps lock. didnt think that would make a difference.