Race Suit / Pit Suit Cleaning service

lvzfyr

Reaction
Hey Guys
Kicking around the idea of setting up at the Contingency and offer Race suit and Pit suit cleaning services. I have an ISP that we Clean, Inspect, and repair Firefighting turnouts and nomex clothing according to NFPA standards. We already take care of a few local teams but wanted to gauge interest in us setting up at races. Heres tentative plan:

PRE RACE
At Contingency have a booth to answer any questions and provide our shipping address and all info required for you to ship your suits to us after race. Once back at our San Diego location We clean, inspect and get back to you if any repairs are needed that you didn't already identify as needed (Velcro is what we see most)

POST RACE
After race we would be set up somewhere to collect suits so you do not have to ship it saving you shipping charges. Same process as above once we get back to the shop

Normal turnaround will be 7 days at most once we get gear into shop

We use the latest techniques and processes to clean gear. We use CITROSQUEEZE Turnout Gear & PPE Cleaner, the leading technical detergent available in North America for the safe cleaning of oil, soot, grease, and other hydrocarbon contaminants from all types of PPE apparel, FR clothing and Unimac Extractors specifically programmed to safely clean Nomex. CITROSQUEEZE is the only cleaning product extensively tested by 3M, Dupont for its effectiveness and safety in cleaning Nomex and FR products

Cost would be $25 per suit plus shipping for cleaning only. Any repairs would be additional.

Sound like something beneficial?
IMG_4186.JPGIMG_3779.JPG

tapeworm

Reaction
At all large scale Wildland incidents they have these same exact services with a 24 hour turnaround. Is there a possibility of offering this at the race site? I know it can be done, I’ve used the services many times, I’m just not sure of the cost feasibility as those services are billed back to the incident at outlandish rates so I’m wondering if it’s too expensive to charge for on site cleaning in the off road world?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

lvzfyr

Reaction
At all large scale Wildland incidents they have these same exact services with a 24 hour turnaround. Is there a possibility of offering this at the race site? I know it can be done, I’ve used the services many times, I’m just not sure of the cost feasibility as those services are billed back to the incident at outlandish rates so I’m wondering if it’s too expensive to charge for on site cleaning in the off road world?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Yes sir. Sometimes those services are a private company and sometimes the inmates are the ones doing the washing, If you've used them then I'm sure we've eaten some of the same smoke over the years, Thank you for your service. I dont think the on site service is an option for a few reasons. Without knowing the buy in by folks it would be an expensive venture to maybe get the 10-15 suits to have a mobile set up. We dont use a dryer, instead we have a special drying room that is heated and de-humidified to gently dry all the items. We would be doing these in between the hundreds of turnouts we process a week but if someone needed it back in a few days that wouldn't be a problem. I think the biggest reason to not have a 24 hr turnaround would be most racers are driving out of pits faster than they drive in the race to get home so who's gonna be around 24 hrs later to give the suits to. Pretty sure the suits would be shipped out in 2 days after we got back to San Diego but we always give ourselves a few days extra in case the turnout biz is cranking. We do have contracts that require 24 return from time of pickup within San Diego county.

Last edited:

kdneo

Reaction
Just curious, are you doing anything other than running them through an extractor and "line" drying them (noted above the drying room). I work at an FD and we have an extractor in the station, so I'm just curious if there is something else that needs to be done or done different with a driving suit vs bunkers.

lvzfyr

Reaction
Just curious, are you doing anything other than running them through an extractor and "line" drying them (noted above the drying room). I work at an FD and we have an extractor in the station, so I'm just curious if there is something else that needs to be done or done different with a driving suit vs bunkers.
Nope that's about it other than using the correct Cleaning agent for Nomex. Other benefit of using us is we can do any repairs to velcro, repair any holes or tears, fix broken snaps or buckles. One stop shop. These are actually way easier to deal with vs turnouts because they do not have liners that need to be separated out prior to washing. Little less labor intensive for sure. If you have access to an extractor thats got a proper NFPA programming and uses citro squeeze then your set. Just make sure to prepare them similar to your turnouts and have all zippers zipped, velcro connected and snaps snapped. keeps them from getting all tangled up and causing damage

Our "Drying room" just speeds up the line dry concept so we can rapidly turn gear around getting it back to the field as soon as possible.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Good to know about you guys I work close by so will bring my suits down for next servicing

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert