Race suit poll Please get involved

What do you look for in a driving suit

• Total voters

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
Dry cleaning is the way to go, but if you wash it in the machine on a gentle cycle it works fine.
We're working with a company that has a specific cleaner for Nomex, as well as a wash in repellent to keep crud from soaking in and protects it from UV damage. Hopefully it will be available by the end of the year.

tsm1mt

Reaction
Website
www.tmcom.com
Jerry / Camburg said:
The reason for this poll is to see why it is so hard to sell a $400 race suit. Just about every suit I sell people want the cheap suit, not the safe one. do. I feel that Sparco makes a great suit for $399 and is a 2 layer nomex suit. I have seen a

Where can I find the details outlining what a "safe" suit is versus a "not so safe" suit?

The Camburg site lists two suits, and NO details about why one is more or less expensive than another.

What's the level of protection for a $100 suit from Crow or RCS/RJS or elsewhere vs a higher-end unit, and what's the right spot for a Sportsman?

$100 suit + D-cell/Hutchins/Hans type unit, or $500 suit and a neck collar?

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
tsm1mt said:
Where can I find the details outlining what a "safe" suit is versus a "not so safe" suit?

Start , by reading everything we have posted here so far... Then decide how much YOUR life is worth........Like i'm one to talk.......

tsm1mt

Reaction
Website
www.tmcom.com
OldStroppeTeam said:
tsm1mt said:

Start , by reading everything we have posted here so far... Then decide how much YOUR life is worth........Like i'm one to talk.......

Yeah, about page 3 I found the SFI specs. ;)

To sum things up a little, I guess it's not so much the "price" of the suit that makes it better or worse, but on the surface it's the SFI rating, with SFI-1 being minimum, and some people are suggesting that SFI-1 is below their personal opinion of a minimum.. that I should seriously consider stepping up to SFI-5. Brand and style and price being secondary to meeting the Spec.

I've given the "what's your head worth" speech before as well, but unfortunately, my life is worth more to me than *I* can afford, so like everyone else, there are calculated risks.

You guys wanna have a panic attack?

The sanctioning organization I regularly race under has some minimum safety rules..

Rollcage must be built from 1 5/8" OD Sch40 pipe or better (yes, pipe, but at least no threaded elbows..).

DOT Helmet required (not Snell). Long-sleeves, long-pants, fire extinguisher within reach.

That's the majority of it.

Getting the rules updated to even ALLOW DOM for cages took some doing (.120 DOM isn't "minimum Sch 40 wall thickness".. it's thinner).

My safety upgrades have been evolutionary.. starting with a hand-me-down pipe cage and used decommissioned helicopter belts and an old DOT motorcycle helmet.. and a very cautious driving style.

As I've gotten more aggressive, I've stepped up my safety program. In Feb, after my first roll (pipe held up fine, BTW), I bought a new SHOEI and pumper from PCI.. much nicer.. still haven't made replacing the rollcage a priority, but it's getting closer. Even borrowed suspension seat, instead of the old plastic buckets I was running.

This week I thought it was a banner year for safety on my team.. I bought 1-piece driver's suit.. huge step up, considering my current safety situation outclasses the majority of my competition.

Of course, it was only an SF-1 spec'd suit so maybe I need to upgrade again..

On the plus side, it's all short-course races, and I run an open cockpit with little flammable materials around, aside from the fuel in the stock fuel tank (fuel cells not required here..)

One point on the Snell Motorcycle vs. SA automotive helmets.. the auto helmets are Nomex, but the motorcycle helmets have a wider field of vision.

The argument is on a m/c you need to see traffic around you, but in a car, your field of vision is limited by the car wrapped around you.

An open-style cockpit in a desert-style race truck sort of defies that "you don't have as much visibility as a bike" thing, and the side-by-side style of racing means you need to be MORE aware of your surroundings than, say, a straight-line drag racer would.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
Moto helmets designed for the street market do have a wider field of vision, but as far as I know it’s not part of the Snell testing process. They test for impact on the shell for both, and fire for auto. There are several auto helmets that have wide fields of view for around $300.00 if that’s what you more prefer but the bigger the opening, the less protection. Moto helmets have only a 2mm thick shield, auto helmets have 3mm shields which will take a rock hit better. The Shoei is a great helmet, it would be a little better if it was Nomex and SA rated though.

The funny thing is, PCI, Parker, UPRacing all sell inexpensive SA rated Nomex helmets, but everyone still buys the Shoei.