Race tire evaluation

McCredie A

Reaction
Hey RDC,

I have been thinking about how people claim a certain tire to be the "Best". I am wondering how people determine their tire, wheel, and air pressure choice.

1) I am wondering what makes the tire the best option for you(price, longevity, weight, traction, track support, etc).?

2) Besides personal preference what are some objective methods to evaluate tires? Such as durability, traction, deflection, and many others.

3) I know air pressure would have an affect as well. What are some ways to determine the best air pressure besides feel and experience?

4) Have you tried different wheel widths on the same tires?

5) If time and money were no worries how would you set up the ultimate tire, wheel, and air pressure evaluation?

6) Please state what kind of car, tire, and air pressure you run. And the methods you have used to figure out your best set up.

In particular I am inquiring about 10 car tires. Tensor, BFG, and Triace

I probably missed other key factors. If I did please add them in!

This is for all any any classes so feel free to chime in.

Keep RDC Great!!

Last edited:

Fourstroker

Reaction
We always took into account. Relative weight, tire shape and how it corners. For instance for the 3 tires you listed Tensor is the lightest, then BFG, then Triace(pretty sure they arent made anymore). But 10/5 racers will tell you that the Tensor is the softest/gripiest and wears out the quickest. The wider tire patch of the Tensor is also harder on steering/front end components. All factors in what tire is right for you.

green787

Reaction
10 car has no weight to speak of.... I always paid $40.00 at the Llantas shops for my BFG 33 x 12 x 15....Baja All Terrains...... After a while you get lucky tires that don't go flat and you don't want to change them until they do.... Or you could buy about 10 brand new tires....

scottm

Reaction
I ask myself 'is it 40" diameter, like a KR3?' - 'Is it narrower and lighter than a 39" project or Toyo, like a KR3?' - 'is it commonly available used, like a KR3?' If not, I just go with the KR3.

Josh 8

Reaction
God what happened to the thumbs down button.
It’s back. I asked klaus for it in the form of a donkey. If you hold the like button down it will expand the menu. Then you see the donkey and it’s mins 5 points. And on the other hand the love icon is plus 5 likes.

go back and try it out.
E75D63F0-4BE4-431B-914E-96A5D97D57B1.jpeg

jon coleman

Reaction
Poor racer here, I run what ever who gives me the best price lol. for our 5/1600 bug thats currently arisun UTV tires.
first driver school on junk used street tires, a well to do ITA class guy gave me a nice set of yokohamas on nice panasports racing wheels to run rest of the weekend, he said i dont want to see you crash, especially in the school final races , ill be on the track with you racing !race tires are easy to get if your desperate enough to get the green flag

Dezertpilot

Reaction
It’s back. I asked klaus for it in the form of a donkey. If you hold the like button down it will expand the menu. Then you see the donkey and it’s mins 5 points. And on the other hand the love icon is plus 5 likes.

go back and try it out.
View attachment 219309
The best thing to happen to RDZ haha

turbodon

Reaction
In the 5uflavor I honestly don’t think it makes a bit of difference. Guys win on tri-ace, tensor, and BFG. Once in a while the Grabowski car even wins on the monster truck tires.

I wish the price point was better on Tensors. They’re stupid expensive.

ive heard that if you race in Mexico it’s worth it to run bfg so you can capitalize on the “Bfg pits“ support.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Come to think of it, I think the hot ticket is going to be to transition to the tensor 37”

recently saw it up close and personal on the jakes fabworks 10 car and instantly wanted a set

Unless you beef up the front ends, I don't think a 37 is going to do any favors for Class 5U. Anybody disagree?

Tube ride

Reaction
Im resurrecting a set f Walker Evans beadlocks from 2003 $pending the same amount of money fixing stripped aluminum and rusty inserts as a new set of wheels , all for that beautiful stamp on the back “ made in the USA” . I’m also looking at the new Mickey Thompson Baja pro sticky for the same reason. Where are bfg kr3’s made?

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Jackson Motorsports confirms all bfg kr3 race tires are made in the USA !! Winner winner!

Nice, I'm down to spend extra money for made in USA for sure, but not at the cost of competitiveness. Whatever is the best tire is the one I want. I don't have enough knowledge to know how to evaluate tires, I'm stuck monkey see monkey do with the winners, interested to see if anybody has some insight rather then opinions on evaluating tires.