Race tire evaluation

MTPyle

Reaction
Our Toyo race tires are made in the USA

I am a huge fan of Toyo. They have crazy good grip and last long. I think BFG is over rated. I get BFG has great support, the best. But the tire is not the best.

but give me a choice on what to race with and I will take the Toyo any day.

Mike

Tube ride

Reaction
I’m eagerly waiting to see what TOYO is working on ! That’s great they are made here. I’ve got a month before purchase.

McCredie A

Reaction
Thanks for all the replies! Can anyone say how they have evaluated tires in an objective manner? I know some TT teams work with their tire sponsor on different compounds, etc. Besides feel is anything else taken into consideration?

jon coleman

Reaction
gotta be round& hold air, for me its brand loyalties, im a bfg fan, so, even if toyo is superior in every dept., ill still run bfg after i win lotto& need fresh sneakers for my new 6100 truck

MTPyle

Reaction
I’m eagerly waiting to see what TOYO is working on ! That’s great they are made here. I’ve got a month before purchase.

I don't think they will have the new race tire until next year.

I have never been around BFG or know anything about their process but from what I know about Toyo they take it pretty serious and try many new things. I think they are at final design or close for the new tire.

We are excited for the new tire for sure, but the current race tire is still pretty damn good.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
LOL good point Jon :cool:

I am already working on getting the truck fixed and on our 2021 plans. We are getting some great support from some vendors to help us get back together.

Also working on some Sponsor stuff for 2021. Hopefully we can pull off a good program that works for us.

Mike

jon coleman

Reaction
yes, i was told EARLY on by Dave Turner that if you wanna race, getting the other guy to pay for it is the key, its Very hard to get it right, its politics , used car salesmanship, , lottsa bs, and remembering Motorsports has no social redeeming value at all

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks Tube. Hopefully we will be racing where we need help. Haha

Mike

FourLow

Reaction
Are any trophy truck teams running the 42” BFG ?

I feel like that V10 TT that Jonny Angle ran for a race was on 42's, but I could be mistaken.

Fourstroker

Reaction
I only remember a few teams trying the 42. COPS, Vanderway, TAVO and the converted 8 truck from AZ. Name escapes me

Tube ride

Reaction
057A6556-F7F3-443F-A1F1-58A38F56D397.jpeg
I remember Todd Wylie ran them way back at the last mint 400 up north 2011? maybe...roster/ Norman won

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Reaction
9D5E173D-86AE-444D-A237-173B7BE277F8.jpeg
Car 1255 runs BFG’s and will continue to be loyal. BFG Tires have treated me right as well as the Incredible pit support. Im a blue collar probably like many others on here. My passion is racing SCORE series down in Baja. Man its expensive! For a privateer I could never thank BFG pit support crews enough. Yeah i pay for the tires. last Baja 1000 we were behind to a BFG Pit way down by SanFelipe they were all loaded up. My front end was all cracked due to some “loss of tallent“ The BFG guys unloaded the semi and fired up grinders, welders, fuel, gatorade and food while care was being welded on for over an hour! Not for money. Only because these guys are passionate about racing and they want their loyal racers to finish and win.
This is such a great Necessity and service to a little team as well as the big boys.
Im not saying other tires aren’t good. Some may be lighter.....some may be wider.
But BFG isn’t new to designing a tire to take on Baja.
Thank you BFG!

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Awesome responses, enjoy reading them all. conclusion I'm drawing from this thread, its an feeling decision not a scientific one. I'm sure there are scientist types out there, but they're not spilling their beans here.

mxben

Reaction
Awesome responses, enjoy reading them all. conclusion I'm drawing from this thread, its an feeling decision not a scientific one. I'm sure there are scientist types out there, but they're not spilling their beans here.

Do you want to buy four rears to finish the baja 500 or two ?

Do you mind a little decrease in acceleration for flat protection?

BFG may steer slightly less precise than a tensor. I will take the longevity and flat protection of the BFG over the Tnsr.

Do you want to be able to use their pit service if need be? Sort of a no brainer.