Race tire evaluation

BlueCoyote

Reaction
For those that have run the KR2 and the Tensor DS - which is the tougher tire when it comes to sidewalls and rocks? Looking at 32s for a UTV.

FourLow

Reaction
For those that have run the KR2 and the Tensor DS - which is the tougher tire when it comes to sidewalls and rocks? Looking at 32s for a UTV.

The KR2's have a more aggressive sidewall tread pattern compared to the DS'. I'm a BFG guy through and through though.

MTPyle

Reaction
Toyo guys running Baja are running the new Toyo race tire. It's big and light, should be a good improvement. Cant wait to see how it does.

Mike

McCredie A

Reaction
Toyo guys running Baja are running the new Toyo race tire. It's big and light, should be a good improvement. Cant wait to see how it does.

Mike

Do you have a pic or link to some info on it?

Tube ride

Reaction
That’s them in the drag race video with Bryce and Andy !! Much more narrow more tall look like shallower tighter tread blocks and a diffrent wrap around side wall. At first glance it sure looks like Toyo has made the same changes BFG made years ago , skinnier taller smaller blocks result in a lighter carcass. Should be a winner !

Last edited:

ekozy39

Reaction
We ran Mint, V2R and the Baja 500 with zero flats on the 33" Tensor. It's also lighter than the BFG 32". I have run both brands, and have been very happy with the Tensors FWIW.

MTPyle

Reaction
RG did a IG post with the new Toyo tire next to the current one.

Mike

Fourstroker

Reaction
Here you go
1605279882930.png

MTPyle

Reaction
One of the new changes I am excited about with the new Toyo is less side wall tread. I feel like the current one climbs the berm a little bit. They grip great in the sand though. The new one looks way larger than 1” more.

Mike

McCredie A

Reaction
One of the new changes I am excited about with the new Toyo is less side wall tread. I feel like the current one climbs the berm a little bit. They grip great in the sand though. The new one looks way larger than 1” more.

Mike

Ya.... That is what she said!

MTPyle

Reaction
There is no official anything. Not sure they were even supposed to be on IG. Haha but RG does what he wants. Not sure they have made them a available SKU yet, we have not tried to order any as we are months away from our next race. Hopefully soon so we can get some and make sure they fit. We set our body and truck up for BFG 40” so we should be good. But they look really big and bigger than the bfg’s looked.

Mike

jcorsico

Reaction
That new tire does not look any lighter than the old one... But it's certainly larger. I'm guessing it's a 42" x 13.50", but who knows (those official specs are only loosely related to the actual size of the tire). The old Toyo was a 39.50" x 13.50".

If they somehow made it bigger, but kept the same weight, that would be a big achievement. The old BFG 42" tires were not popular because they were heavy and required a 20" wheel. If the Toyo takes a standard 17" wheel, but still turns okay, that would also be a big deal. The problem with making the tire taller and keeping the small wheel size is that the tire sidewall becomes too flexible while turning.

Tube ride

Reaction
Anyone got the inside info on the unicorns new wheels ? Inner headlocks ? All the way back spaced because brakes are at the diff ? 5 lug ?

MTPyle

Reaction
I was told the new tire was going to be lighter than the old. The current 39” is pretty heavy. The new one was also supposed to be a 40”. But I agree that photo makes it look really big. Haha

Mike

jcorsico

Reaction
I was told the new tire was going to be lighter than the old. The current 39” is pretty heavy. The new one was also supposed to be a 40”. But I agree that photo makes it look really big. Haha

Mike
Interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old one was like 38.5" and the new one is 40.5". Actual dimensions are usually different from official dimensions. That would explain the size difference in the photo. In the photo, there is also probably some tread wear on the old tire too.