Race tire evaluation

bigjeep13

Reaction
The New Toyos look a lot like the Original BFG MT tread pattern.
1605665411435.jpeg

mig29

Reaction
Interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old one was like 38.5" and the new one is 40.5". Actual dimensions are usually different from official dimensions. That would explain the size difference in the photo. In the photo, there is also probably some tread wear on the old tire too.

I've been shopping for 33" - 35" tires for my rock-crawler/Pre-run Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ (4.88 gears on Currie modded Ford 9"..flipped for High Pinion).

I can attest to paper-spec VS actual tire dimensions, that Falken Wildpeak AT 33" 12.5/R15 is really a 32.5" outside-diameter, not a true 33". Someone pointed that out in a comment section (Walmart Review). The other bang/buck tires is Taiwan-made Milestar tires (33" & 35"):

BFG, Goodyear, Yokohama, Bridgetsone are pricey.. I'm a Craigslist used-tire junkie, there are some smokin' hot deals that pop up occassionally. E.g., new BFG All-Terrain tires off a Ford Raptor (315/70/17 .. 34.5") for $600

I scored 5x Yokohama 32.5" Geolandar w/17" rims (5x5 bolt pattern) for $75..only 3 yrs old, 90% tread!!

I ended up getting used 5x BFG KR2 315/70/17 tires for $160, 40% tread (2 yrs old). Squeezed FIVE 34.5" tires into my '93 BMW 325i (e36)..!! I've done some crazy crazy I failed spelling squeezing/hauling stuff in that e36..

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_103700843_HDR.jpg 1.jpg
    IMG_20200913_103700843_HDR.jpg 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200913_103617298_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20200913_103617298_HDR (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200913_102925606_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20200913_102925606_HDR (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

EL ROMAN

Reaction
whats Everyone’s methods and tricks to mounting up race tires on Beadlocks ?
Windex and a solid toss to get the tire on, and a full body condom to prevent the anti-seize from getting everywhere. Last week I made to completely mounting and torqueing down the beadlocks without getting any on me. I went to put the anti-seize away, dropped the cap, bounced onto my shirt. Once again, anti-seize won, I lost.

RanchoPacific Motorsports

Reaction
I've been shopping for 33" - 35" tires for my rock-crawler/Pre-run Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ (4.88 gears on Currie modded Ford 9"..flipped for High Pinion).

I can attest to paper-spec VS actual tire dimensions, that Falken Wildpeak AT 33" 12.5/R15 is really a 32.5" outside-diameter, not a true 33". Someone pointed that out in a comment section (Walmart Review). The other bang/buck tires is Taiwan-made Milestar tires (33" & 35"):

BFG, Goodyear, Yokohama, Bridgetsone are pricey.. I'm a Craigslist used-tire junkie, there are some smokin' hot deals that pop up occassionally. E.g., new BFG All-Terrain tires off a Ford Raptor (315/70/17 .. 34.5") for $600

I scored 5x Yokohama 32.5" Geolandar w/17" rims (5x5 bolt pattern) for $75..only 3 yrs old, 90% tread!!

I ended up getting used 5x BFG KR2 315/70/17 tires for $160, 40% tread (2 yrs old). Squeezed FIVE 34.5" tires into my '93 BMW 325i (e36)..!! I've done some crazy crazy I failed spelling squeezing/hauling stuff in that e36..
Look for short course tires for a rock crawler, they are about 36 X 14 and have a softer tread.

Reno Off-Road

Reaction
That is a lot of specs to check off the list, but good.

I really primarily on my customers, the racers and teams that I sponsor. When I am at a race set-up as a vendor or helping our racers out, I have the conversations about our tires they are running, shocks, seats, etc... and I compare that info. I always have to take into consideration the class, their rig, their driving skills, and each of the courses and races as an example but it really helps since I am one-on-one with my customers and they are explaining what went well, what went wrong.

I sell all brands of race tires, and DOT approved tires some use racing for specific classes, and so far it has always been the BFGs that are running less flats and lasting longer than our other brands. I used to co-drive, and chase with Scudders Performance, and the Baja T/A KRs were epic on the class 1 unlimited.

We sell Tri-Ace Dakar and Baja Rally too, but I have not been able to take in enough race miles info on those from my customers yet to really weigh in. But, I have received 3rd party info from teams running them over the years and they are they happy with them.

The wheels however, are harder to determine. Raceline, Walker Evans and Dirty Life have been the ones that my customers claim to abuse the hel* out of and keep going. But I know there are a other great manufactures.

Jason Baden

Reno Off-Road (Parts & Accessories)
www.renooffroad.com
info@renooffroad.com
775 553 8333

Dustinose

Reaction
what size wheels are the buggy guys using on the BFG 35x10.5?

I see method has a 5.5 wide wheel designed for the 35x10.5 but would that tire work on a 15x4"?

Fourstroker

Reaction
Mostly 5.5 and 6's is what I am seeing

Tube ride

Reaction
Now Toyo needs to make the new tire in the “ k-spec” or sticky compound in time for the hammers . Looked like a very successful test of the new tires in Baja.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Coming from a guy who just finished the Baja 1000 after hitting 500 rocks that should have blown a tire, I vote BFG. The tensors are faster but you’re more likely to be changing tires at pits because they’re bald or you blew them on a big pokey boy.

With BFG pit support we ran the entire 1000 on a crew of 7 people not including drivers. Changed rears at the driver change at 422 because we had time and it made me feel the odds of getting up death mountain were more on my side.

Our class 10 car is snappier with Tensors and has a more positive precise feel at the wheel, but not enough to negate their downsides. If I were rally racing a UTV that’s what I would run. If I’m going to V2R or Baja, I’m going with a tire born in Baja.

tapeworm

Reaction
Coming from a guy who just finished the Baja 1000 after hitting 500 rocks that should have blown a tire, I vote BFG. The tensors are faster but you’re more likely to be changing tires at pits because they’re bald or you blew them on a big pokey boy.

With BFG pit support we ran the entire 1000 on a crew of 7 people not including drivers. Changed rears at the driver change at 422 because we had time and it made me feel the odds of getting up death mountain were more on my side.

Our class 10 car is snappier with Tensors and has a more positive precise feel at the wheel, but not enough to negate their downsides. If I were rally racing a UTV that’s what I would run. If I’m going to V2R or Baja, I’m going with a tire born in Baja.
The winning class 10 at the 1000 used Tensor’s and was a single seat car so tire changes are done by the driver. Maybe it’s not necessarily the tire brand that’s causing you all the flats....

Zambo

Reaction
I've been running the 32" Tensors in the few UTV races I've done and they are freaking awesome. Never gotten a flat but they do wear out pretty quick. By far the lightest tire in the class, which I think is important in such a lightweight car. Not only for acceleration and braking and steering but just keeping the car in shape going through the rough.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
The winning class 10 at the 1000 used Tensor’s and was a single seat car so tire changes are done by the driver. Maybe it’s not necessarily the tire brand that’s causing you all the flats....
I can gaurantee the pit crew was changing tires at the pit not the driver lol. I wonder how many tires they ended up swapping? I'd guess 6 rears and 2 or 4 fronts, just to be safe and WIN.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Just out of curiosity...Can a 10 car run the whole 1000 on a set of tires if they don't get a flat? Or do they get worn out and changed at some point, flat or not.

swiftracing5

Reaction
We just finished the 1000 on a 5U car on the same set of BFGs. We ran them at 22PSI which I had my doubts about, but they were flawless. Didn't have to change driving style at all.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Would you make the switch back on your car after this experience?
Absolutely in Baja. Still TBD on races in the states where the pace is a lot faster in 5.