Race Training Workout

Northridge

RDC Crypto
Hey guys, I plan on racing in the MRANN series this upcoming spring season and need a good workout routine. I was hoping some of you guys would be able to help me figure out what I need to do.

I am a 16-year-old junior in high school and have been riding motorcycles for the past 8 years. I mainly ride a 1972 Honda XL250, but I also ride a 2001 Honda XR650R, and my dad and I are building a 2001 KTM SX for race season. With the KTM we don't know if we are going to keep it a 400 or big bore it to 430/450 or replace the top end and build it into a 520. with the KTM I am going to put an 18 in rear wheel on it and do some little mods to it including DIY Steg Pegz (i am on an extreme budget so I plan on making a lot of the add ons for the bike). I am 6' tall and weigh 170 lbs.

This is my current workout but it is designed more for mass than endurance. the videos are just youtube links to workout videos.
DayGroupWorkoutWorkoutWorkoutWorkoutWorkout
1 MonChestVideo1.5 MI Run300 Abs
2 TueArmsVideo1.5 MI Run
3 WedCoreVideo 1.5 MI Run300 Abs
4 ThursLegsVideo1.5 MI Run
5 FriChestVideo1.5 MI Run300 Abs
6 SatArmsVideo1.5 MI Run
7 SunRESTRESTRESTRESTRESTREST

I also have warm ups for these workouts too
Exercise:Modified Activity:
sprints 3 100 ft sprints
Wall sits Wall sits 2 min
lunges Lunges 100 ft
55ives 55ives
stretches stretches

55ives is what I call a workout where you do 10 pushups and then 10 ¾ air squats, then you do 9 pushups and 9 squats, then 8, then 7, then 6, then 5, then 4, then 3, then 2, then 1. it is kind of like a pyramid workout but not as difficult.

I hear that rowing machines are great for moto racing but I don't have access to one because I don't have a way to get to a gym and am going to be doing all of these workouts at home. I counted the weeks until my first race and from the time this is posted I am going to have about 17 weeks. I am not going to have the KTM at my house in the next 7 weeks so I am going to be riding the XL250 for the time being. I also have a couple of trails and a pit bike track that I built in my backyard that I have been riding on but the trails are all pretty short and so I usually resort to putting around and hitting some rock gardens and slabs that I have as a little challenge. a couple of days ago I was looking through threads on workouts and @Bert is my name gave me an idea. he said this

"There was a speed world episode way back when that interviewed Spencer Lowe and showed a bucket seat and steering wheel with four shocks mounted to the steering shaft. He would sit in that thing and crank the wheel back and forth with the shocks providing resistance. I thought that contraption was pretty slick."

so I was thinking of fabbing something up like that for dirt bikes complete with levers and everything. you would find on a cockpit. I would also make a stool using a seat probably a KTM seat. you would be able to remove the seat from the seat base and put other seats on it. same with the cockpit.

Anyway, any input would be helpful and thank you in advance.

Northridge

RDC Crypto
I forgot to add I also have access to a pool. I heard some people saying that swimming is a good endurance exercise. so I figured I would add that.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
dont over do it, i started riding in late 70s, & started racing in92, RJ , Brock, O - show were my heros, trainging and conditioning Animals, RJ had Rodger DeCoster puking at the palm ave/ otay valley test track one summers day, RD said he couldnt keep up at all, i mainly road and played raquet ball for a few hours, JM Bayle did rock climbing and raquet ball, not a lot of weights, main thing in mx is your cardio& breathing control/ how you ' ride' the bike, watch the fast guys and look at how they are looking like there gonna fall asleep, then watch a jr/ beginer race & look at all the tense , slow death grip they have, its all about seat time, another good traing tip is ride a fast technical single track( Mcaines)& Never sit down, not even in the corners, it'll get you in shape👍

Rocket 450

RDC Crypto
Buy a heart rate monitor they are pretty inexpensive. And train to heartrate, there are tons of info on the web and hours of Youtube videos on exactly how and what to do. Cycling and swimming are both great for getting your H.R. up and keeping a steady pace. Ideally you want to train for 10%-15%+ . So if your doing a hour long G.P. you would train for 70 minutes with your H.R. zone 3 or 4 . If your doing a Hare and Hound 2-4 hours depending on your pace. I personally ride with my H.R. monitor on and set my pace to stay in zone 3-4 .

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Your split seems to completely leave out your back muscle group which will be your primary muscle group for moto.

I would definitely add a back day or 2 into your split. Bent over barbell rows would be a decent replacement for a rowing machine. Pullups are always simple and effective also.

Northridge

RDC Crypto
Buy a heart rate monitor they are pretty inexpensive. And train to heartrate, there are tons of info on the web and hours of Youtube videos on exactly how and what to do. Cycling and swimming are both great for getting your H.R. up and keeping a steady pace. Ideally you want to train for 10%-15%+ . So if your doing a hour long G.P. you would train for 70 minutes with your H.R. zone 3 or 4 . If your doing a Hare and Hound 2-4 hours depending on your pace. I personally ride with my H.R. monitor on and set my pace to stay in zone 3-4 .
thanks, @Rocket 450 I'll have to get one.

Northridge

RDC Crypto
Your split seems to completely leave out your back muscle group which will be your primary muscle group for moto.

I would definitely add a back day or 2 into your split. Bent over barbell rows would be a decent replacement for a rowing machine. Pullups are always simple and effective also.
Thanks, @michael.gonzalez I didn't even realize I had left out my back when designing my schedule. thanks for the tip about the rows and pullups too.

Northridge

RDC Crypto
dont over do it, i started riding in late 70s, & started racing in92, RJ , Brock, O - show were my heros, trainging and conditioning Animals, RJ had Rodger DeCoster puking at the palm ave/ otay valley test track one summers day, RD said he couldnt keep up at all, i mainly road and played raquet ball for a few hours, JM Bayle did rock climbing and raquet ball, not a lot of weights, main thing in mx is your cardio& breathing control/ how you ' ride' the bike, watch the fast guys and look at how they are looking like there gonna fall asleep, then watch a jr/ beginer race & look at all the tense , slow death grip they have, its all about seat time, another good traing tip is ride a fast technical single track( Mcaines)& Never sit down, not even in the corners, it'll get you in shape👍
Thanks, @jon coleman I have been trying to ride as much as I can in between school and all my other activities. I have been wanting to ride the Hennis Pass trail for a couple of months now. I just have to find a day that works.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
Thanks, @jon coleman I have been trying to ride as much as I can in between school and all my other activities. I have been wanting to ride the Hennis Pass trail for a couple of months now. I just have to find a day that works.
forgot bike riding, mountain bikes are good, keeps your coordination / line selection sharp

Northridge

RDC Crypto
forgot bike riding, mountain bikes are good, keeps your coordination / line selection sharp
Thanks, @jon coleman I thought about that earlier today and added it to my schedule

my new schedule looks like this

DayGroupWorkoutWorkoutWorkoutWorkoutAdditional Workouts
MonChest/enduranceVideoMTB300 AbsSwim 5 laps
TueArms/enduranceVideo1.5 MI RunRideSwim 5 laps
WedCore/enduranceVideo MTB300 AbsSwim 5 laps
ThursLegs/enduranceVideo1.5 MI RunRideSwim 5 laps
FriChest/enduranceVideoMTB300 AbsSwim 5 laps
SatArms/enduranceVideo1.5 MI RunRideSwim 5 laps
SunRESTRESTRESTRESTREST

I am going to start phasing out the video workouts with custom workouts as I get more advice.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
DayGroup
MonChest/Triceps (Push)
TueBack/Biceps (Pull)
WedArms/Legs/Core (Accessories)
ThursChest/Triceps (Push)
FriBack/Biceps (Pull)
SatArms/Legs/Core (Accessories)
SunREST

This would be my recommendation. Arms don't need to be trained specifically if you are working your back and chest enough. A dedicated arms day would not hurt also.

And be sure to do all your heavy lifting before your cardio/endurance stuff. Cardio before lifting makes for a insightful lift session.

Don't forget:
-Healthy food
-Proper amount of food
-Good quality sleep
-Stay hydrated. Constantly.