calstyl2

Reaction
Disagree all you want, the Washington office calls the shots at this point, the Field Offices can wish all they want, we have a ways to go and the rural communities are at a very high risk, I will hold to my statement. Baja even more so.

J Burleson

Reaction
I hope Im wrong, but with forecasts by the CDC and WHO of a second wave of covid in the fall, I think this rescheduling will ultimately result in cancellations for 2020. Especially with Baja races. Even if things "get back to normal" in the next few months it does not mean that travel restrictions will change with the same timeline. China is slowly returning to "normal" but has a strict travel ban on foreigners and quarantining of returning Chinese. We can only assume that the majority of countries will follow this model. I really do hope Im wrong, but the promoters at this point are only working on hopes and dreams as well.

Anger Issues

Reaction
Makes the decision easier for me, no Baja 1000 for us.
As a team owner I have no interest in a Peninsula run. The extra cost, time, and Liability is huge.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the south end of Baja but do not need to take my race truck there. Haha.

Mike

Also as a team owner/racer Idaho (from Idaho), I was REALLY looking forward to the peninsula run. I have ZERO interest in another loop race... running the same tore up crap roads then back to a town where my team-mates suffered major theft previously. I have also been waiting since 2017 for another shot at it, but this time the motor is solid (it was the only thing we didn't replace before the '17 Baja Mil). We blew it up due mostly to a faulty temp gauge that went to zero before San Felipe. Then the pin-hole radiator leak did its damage with no warning signs. I was also stoked that Wilson and Raffo had plans to run it (Class 3 4x4 SWB), and presumably Moss and maybe the Jeep from TX who did the 400 last year and was already registered for San Felipe. It could have been the biggest race for Class 3 in quite a while. I guess the only good news is financially I don't have to stress about how to pay for it... the credit cards were burning hot after the '17 race. Ouch. (see the reference to "bum" below). Ya reap what ya sow.

As for NORRA Chris, I will skip it. Been there, done that, and I can go drive those roads any time for free. I know it's a fun event, and rubbing elbows with the big boys and all that... but not what I consider a race. The cost and the lodging challenges I would take on for the SCORE race aren't justified for a 5 day "fun run".

As for the distance, drive home, and liability Mike (Pyle), I guess we are in a different "class" so-to-speak... ha ha. My whole truck is probably worth less than your motor with all the goodies I read about in your posts. Side-note: I really enjoy your honesty and willingness to share the trials and tribulations of being a competitive TT Spec team. You aren't afraid to admit mistakes or lessons learned. For a while I considered whether yours would be a feasible class for me someday, but am now convinced I'm stuck in my Bronco 'till the end :eek:)

We also have family that lives in Baja Sur and the race goes right through there when it's not a loop. It's a good stop-over on the way home, to rest and catch up on Tuna cravings. Further, being a bum, I don't need to rush home for work. I was even considering staying in Baja for a long while after the race.

Lastly, and VERY importantly: September (San Felipe) and October (Norra) are both SMACK in the middle of something I wait all damn year for... elk and deer hunting. I did not push myself hard enough last year and have no meat in the freezer because of it. Racing and fishing can occur the other 10 months of the year... Lara will be a hunting widow this year (for a couple months, anyways).

I hope SCORE considers the long run for 2021.

MTPyle

Reaction
Anger,

Thanks for your perspective. it kind of cool how different everyone is and what they care about. Thanks for the side note, its nice to know people enjoy our story but also a bummer that we discourage anyone from stepping up into Spec Truck. Haha.

I really believe we have paid our price to build a competitive truck and we are poised to see the benefits. This is the reason the new Score changes are so exciting for us, it gives us a chance to run a series and have the success we think we are ready for. For me the B1K is level 10, and maybe you are right the Peninsula run of the B1K would be level 11 or 12. We just want a decent finish at any race LOL

Mike

vinnie909

Reaction
Our team was looking forward to running down south, but I totally understand SCORE's decision on making it a loop race. We'll still be there at the 1000 either way.