Racer Licensing

43mod

RDC Crypto
I left stock car racing due to a major amount of whining . In that world it is entirely possible for any car to wad your car into junk during practice laps . Or visa versa . People got over a totaled car faster than you guys over a bent bumper .

Big Whitey

RDC Crypto
I left stock car racing due to a major amount of whining . In that world it is entirely possible for any car to wad your car into junk during practice laps . Or visa versa . People got over a totaled car faster than you guys over a bent bumper .
We’re those cars in the same class or did they let the big boys play with the little cars. There is a few thousand pound difference. A bump is one thing. A hit is another

Advertising supports this site

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Although I don’t agree with every bit of what my brother says there’s no need to be rude and make cuts. If your grandpa wanted to send you racing in your late 20s and early 30s anyone in their right mind would do the same thing.

And just so you know Ben is one of the hardest working people I know. He works 7:30-4:30 selling lumber and then comes out to the Christmas tree farm and does manual labor until the sun goes down. Then goes home to his family to deal with that. Barely getting by on the paychecks.

I’m sure you think it’s all sunshine and rainbows but we’re normal people that struggle paycheck to paycheck, we’re just lucky enough to have a ride in a paid for off-road car. Ben would never say these things about himself but I figured I would give you a little insight.

It’s easy to cast judgement when you’re oblivious to someone’s reality and you’re on the other end of the keyboard. Don’t be a dick.

Thanks homie.

But if there wasn’t dreamers out there who thought they could buy a (insert race vehicle of your choice here) and show up and compete to win or have fun just trying to do well or maybe even just to finish then 90% of these builders and this industry would suffer. So no there is no need for some qualification to show up and race. Any class.

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
This thread has a lot of upsides and downfalls. IMO it starts with the promoters needing to uphold they’re own rules and being willing to punish those that do wrong. Money doesn’t buy the right to wreck someone else’s car. Money shouldn’t allow your chase team to act dangerously. Pyle is right, 98 percent of us do this as a hobby, a write off, etc. as mentioned, the big blue family even started out in smaller cars and I think when the boys first came out of the apple pie their first breath included some Baja dust (Compliment).
Now we start on the drivers, as mentioned, the money guy wants to start where it is cool and not at the bottom. What is the first thing that people hear? “I nerfed this guy” and they think, I’m going to do that, he’ll yea that makes you super cool when the truck you are driving smokes a lower class car that the truck should never be behind in the first place. Maybe rule number one SHOULD BE, NO NERFING A CLASS YOU STARTED IN FRONT OF. NORRA has a no nerfing rule. Seemed to work pretty well. Most moved fairly easily when Stella was used.
Isn’t this what drivers meetings are for ? To inform the masses of proper race etiquette.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Skeptical.

I have slammed some hard hits driving along all alone with know one near me in clear air. I have slammed holes so hard it has switched switches off and things start getting hot. Ever hook up so hard hard at 90+ mph that your positive some one nerfed the poop out of you? Glance in the mirror to see nothing in the dust behind you? Then it happens again! Leaving you wondering …. How in the hell could some one drive up on you in your dust to nerf you realizing your hauling ass!?!?!?

If not your going slow.

I call bs. I think I would set a air bag off at my normal race pace. No way some wazoo clap trap sensor would work in my truck.

Put some money on that and I’ll have somthibg to tell James at the office to get him to blow out a unit for us to test. Hint (it’s very easy to tell the difference).

—john

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Like leaving the unlimited classes without minimum weights? Let men race like men. (And let women race like women too)

That accomplishment means nothing with regards to racer etiquette. (Which is a large part of this licensing discussion) But it does mean you are fast and reliable! Being a fast driver with a reliable vehicle is certainly an accomplishment, just doesn’t tell the whole story is all.
Yeah I’m just addressing one side of the many sided issue. Etiquette is important. Sometimes that comes with experience…. And experience takes time. Always going to be one bad apple out there. Just as long as it’s not a UTV entering class one I’m cool with whatever 😅. I know that there are a lot of very experienced UTV racers …. Good racer etiquette would be not signing up your UTV in the open class. That goes for the vast majority of that class as well as class 10.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
random name draws at the driver meeting for cool free stuff from race sponsors would work better, carrots are funner than sticks😍

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
random name draws at the driver meeting for cool free stuff from race sponsors would work better, carrots are funner than sticks😍

Nothing like spending 20K$ or 200K$ to get your army / team to the start line in Ensenada and having a looming DQ because you are too busy/too cool to attend the drivers meeting.

A free t shirt or hat isn't going to get people to attend and listen. Its the principal that it is required for the good of everyone and no one is exempt. Consequences. For anyone.

TJ_Gambino

RDC Crypto
I remember many years ago studying for a test, paying a fee, testing and eventually I got my drivers license. Do I speed? Yep! Always use my turn signal? Nope! Etc, etc . . .

You can make people take a test and pay a fee, but what happens out on course is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Who makes sure everyone follows the rules? My word against yours! Got it on video? That is evidence. Other than that . . .

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
I remember many years ago studying for a test, paying a fee, testing and eventually I got my drivers license. Do I speed? Yep! Always use my turn signal? Nope! Etc, etc . . .

You can make people take a test and pay a fee, but what happens out on course is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Who makes sure everyone follows the rules? My word against yours! Got it on video? That is evidence. Other than that . . .

But to get that license you needed to learn some basic things that may have already saved your life.

And the most important part of a License is the ability for the issuing party to take it away if you f up too bad.

Mike

bajafox

Barely Accepted
RDC Crypto
Would it only apply to the drivers or co-pilots as well? Many teams rely on selling the co-pilot seat, even in the "elite" classes. Those teams would be SOL with licensing for co-pilots

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
They can do this part already.

True but it’s harder without a pre determined process and easy license to pull. And if it’s up to the org there are politics involved. That’s why it needs to be a separate entity.

Fact is education can solve a lot of problems. Majority of bad things happen to people that didn’t know any better.

Mike

ltr450rider

RDC Crypto
The thought that some people would walk away from this "hobby" if required to obtain a license to keep participating, says everything about their level of commitment, specifically to the betterment of the sport/hobby.

It would be naive to think/say that requiring a license to compete would eliminate any and all accidents on course. But, I feel that it could certainly help reduce unnecessary accidents through education and experience before stepping into high powered, high speed racing vehicles, which in my opinion would certainly have good implications for the future of this sport/hobby.

I fully understand the push back from those who have already invested their time, money, and effort to participate at a higher level, which is the reason for an initial grace period to earn the privilege of obtaining a higher level license without coming up through the lower levels before the licensing would be fully implemented.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Fact is education can solve a lot of problems. Majority of bad things happen to people that didn’t know any better.

Mike
I don't know man. The world is full of people with useless master's degrees, buried up to their eyeballs in student debt that they'll never live long enough to pay back, stocking shelves at the supermarket on the graveyard shift for minimum wage.

Wisdom, maturity, judgment, and skill, have nothing to do with education.

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
I contacted USAC (You need their license to race KOH).

Here is the conversation-

Hello,
A small series my team races in (open desert off road) will be requiring the drivers to get a "license" next year or the year after. This is a totally new thing for our little part of the motorsports world and I am curious what having a license does for the driver and how it benefits the race organizer. I'm not bothered by the fact it will cost a few bucks. I just wanna learn what it all means for everyone. I look forward to your reply.
Dan

Hi Dan-
Our licenses come with excess medical insurance that allows you to file an insurance claim if you are injured at a USAC sanctioned event. Please note this excess coverage would kick in after your primary pays in full.

Thanks

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
USAC is liability and insurance only. They don’t ask any questions or do any education.

Mike