Racing in Baja

OscarD29

Hey guys, Im getting pretty close to finishing up my class 9 build. I plan on racing with MORE and SNORE but also doing a few races with RECORD and CODE just south of the border in Mexicali and Ensenada. Has anyone on here raced or considered racing in baja? I know theres only a few 9 cars racing down there but the courses they set up are pretty badass so Im thinking bringing some of the competition down there would make for a fun time!

Josh 8

I am not a 9 guy. So I am not in the loop with all the goings on in that class.

But I can say record and code are the way to go. Been to a few of the races and there is usually a decent show for all the old/classic classes like 9 and 7s. But so is snore and more on the north side. But I like the Freedom in Mexico (sad to say).

Last edited:

OscarD29

I Agree, I think all 4 associations are cool to race with. Ive done the Ensenada to San Felipe race with RECORD in 7s and thought it was tons of fun going from coast to coast with all the different terrains in between. The Code races are a blast as well. I know theres tons of class 11’s that race in the 2 series down south but I usually see 1 to 3 9 cars, So I thought maybe we could get a group of guys to head south and do some of those races.

ACME

Ensenada to SF is a bad a$$ race as you stated. Sadly the swingers on here seem to be afraid of Baja; maybe it's the water??? Jimmy T had Record ready to do a big $ US v s Mexico Class 9 Shootout but couldn't get the racer support...

Don't let them hold you back, go for it! You can basically chase it with 1 good 4x4 truck and crew that's on the ball, and the other competitors and spectators are always willing to lend a hand. Advice: Just make sure you have solid PCI comms and I suggest renting SAT Phones especially if your running a small crew.

Baja race reports & memories are the best! You can tell all the race stories about Primm, Lucerne, Barstow you want and no one cares, but when you start one with: "We went to Baja..." and everyone perks up!

OscarD29

I agree. The nice thing about the ensenada-san felipe race is most of it is pretty close to the road with tons of chase access the whole way down so a single chase truck with a proper working radio is enough like you said. I plan on doing a few races down there next season forsure. Ill be sure to report back after every race and hopefully we can get a few 9 teams to head down and spice up the competition!

3 Amigos Racing

I built a SCORE tagged Class 9 a few years ago with dreams of Baja, sadly I didn't follow through when others didn't seem into it, I lost interest and sold the car. Later I went to the 1000 in another class, spent thousands only to realize too late that you dont need SCORE and the costs involved. The RECORD Ensenada to San Felipe and CODE events would have been just as good and affordable.
Lesson learned too late. Go for it, send some race reports back. I think less people focus on running a series now so might get some Class 9 interest with an easy to chase race.