Racing or joy riding

A Vance

Reaction
I see people celebrating after just finishing a race. Not anywhere near competitive for the class. And they are super excited with just a finish. How does everyone feel about that? I feel if I am not competitive I don't care that I just finished. I feel that I am in the minority in this issues. How does everyone feel about this topic?

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Every car and driver has their right to celebrate. You never know their situation. If it were your first ever Baja 1000 race in a vehicle you built with your own hands and had to overcome some major issues during the race just to get to the finish, a celebration is well deserved. You can argue any finish in desert racing deserves a celebration of some sorts. Now if it were a finish near the bottom at a shorter loop course like Laughlin or BAP, then I would tend to agree a celebration would not be necessary (although a finishing beer is always necessary). But then again, I've raced those courses many times. Maybe it's a person's first race ever? Either way, think positive, don't hate on celebrations, you never know what circumstances they were/are in.

JerryB

Reaction
Beating your competitors is big for us, but recognizing the desert itself is your biggest competitor. I've been on both ends, not finishing sucks. Especially for all the people who come out to help you. So if i can't catch or beat the car ahead of us, we don't go all out checkers or wreckers, we do our best to see the flag.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction
Everyone celebrates for their own reasons.

Myself I can relate to both groups in my very limited racing experience. A few races just finishing and not getting stuck was the victory while in others #1 podium is all that mattered. To me competitive racing gives a lot more joy and satisfaction.

At the end going just one mile and slow still beats spectating any day of the week.

E motorsports

Reaction
in our teams goal setting
goal #1 beat the dezert ( i take pride in our finishing percentage)
goal #2 finish in top half ( we like to think we are better than 1/2 the teams out there)
goal # 3 podium
goal #4 win

I... like you am not there to participate i am there to win
I don't have to win to be happy but i do have to be competitive

A Vance

Reaction
I see people celebrate finishing like a win. I just feel if you are not there to race for the win are you really racing. I know there are bucket list racers. Thanks for everyones input

jon coleman

Reaction
I see people celebrate finishing like a win. I just feel if you are not there to race for the win are you really racing. I know there are bucket list racers. Thanks for everyones input
wheel to wheel is ' racing', you can use 'pics,' 'set ups', your personl 'race craft' skills, to beat the guy in front of you, road racing is mostly that, desert is a lot less of using that^ , finishing a desert race within a certain mph% average of the winner is ' racing',& driving the car onto the trailer with a finisher pin is a GREAT feeling, not getting lapped on a road course is a ' race', finishing first is Not just for the only guy who ' raced'

mxben

Solutions
Reaction

We ran out of fuel at the 250 around 10 miles from our fuel stop. I said a lot of four letter words, wanted to quit, spent four hours in the desert waiting for fuel and basically decided that we were done and finishing didn't matter. My brother was in his race suit ready to go when they showed up and said " we didn't pre run for a week and risk our asses for this many miles to not finish the race" I was impressed with his attitude and now I feel dumb about mine. We finished 10th and will not start last at the 500 because of it. I felt like we should have been in the top 3 with the speed we had through the first half of the race.

Our first baja 1000 was tough. It was our first car race in mexico. We got stuck twice, fully out of the car both driver and co rider. We pushed on. Ethan got in and learned how tough it is to drive SF at night and basically that whole section solo. I had roached the clutch, pissed all over the seat, the car looked like a silt bomb had gone off in it. He came into one pit and said he was so jacked from the rough and worried about the car making it up molina incline that he was considering stopping the race. We bled the clutch, got him some food, looked him in the eye and said haul ass and make it up that hill or die trying. We hit every VCP, no speed penalties, and we ended up on the PODIUM with a 3rd in class 10. That was a win for us.

Each race the goal post is moved. Go to win, adjust expectations with the scenario you are dealt.

Biggest take away. Be grateful you are there in the first place. Don't bitch ( I am still learning this ).

We celebrated at the podium in San Felipe, briefly, and left there knowing we left a better finish on the table with a stupid mistake. I learned a lot that day from my little bro.

NIKAL

Reaction
Some race because winning is the goal and only matters. Some race just for the adventure of it.

In each class their are consistent front runners. It can be due to talent, equipment or just financial. Some know they can’t beat those guys, but it’s not the point being there for them. So celebrations can be different for everyone.

I used to be all about winning. Wins and Championships was the only goal. But really it does not really mean anything anymore. Does anyone remember or really cared who one what race? This is all for fun and the win in the big picture was not as important or meaning full looking back at it. It was the adventure and competition that really drove the spirit. If I decided to race again, sure I’d have that fire to win, but just competing is a win too.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Even though I am, just a pit guy I have been fortunate to crew for some fast dudes. Going over the last ten years or however long that I have had the job of "carrying tires around in the desert for rich people" I have been fortunate to be part of teams that have won (and even overalled) all the bigger races in limited and unlimited classes. That shiz is cool AF.

Winning rules. Winning big races rules. Winning big races against some of the best drivers rules. Overall wins rule. Winning your class rules.

Again, WINNING RULES!

Winning also sucks.

Once it happens its all ya wanna do. Second place, while still respectable as hell, can become something that loses it's value almost entirely. It certainly has with me.

If were having a good day and then some stupid crap happens that knocks us out of contention to win I am bummed. Finishing isn't what we came to do. We came to win this thing. We failed.

There have been times where we had some bad luck and while we are stuck (in a bottleneck or with a part failure or whatever) we've had to sit there watching someone slower than us on the tracker run away with the lead. A couple times we were able to still pull off first on those days but still. My attitude was soured until we got out front again.

Finishing used to be the big deal but after some wins, your attitude kinda evolves. It did with me anyway. Now I am just "chasing the dragon".

In closing. Never win. It puts a needle in your arm with some good good good stuff in it.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Have you ever walked around at Mikes bar and noticed all the teams on the ceiling and walls. I’ve only seriously been around desert racing since 2005, before that as a casual fan. A lot of those teams I’ve never heard of or I say to myself “huh I wonder what happened to them?”
Some pretty heavy hitters on the walls and ceiling too but time marches on and back when we were the schnizzle means nothing today.
In the end no one really cares but you and your close friends so go ahead and celebrate.

J Prich

Reaction
I appreciate just about every single person/team that puts their time and money in to showing up to race. I often see people complain about racers that race and "win" in classes with little to no competition. I understand that from the angle that some people may have the means to race in others classes but purposely raced in a class with no competition to brag about it. But in my personal opinion that is the exception, not the rule. What I see far more often are hard working, limited budget folks that bust their asses and pinch pennies just to show up to a race and are at zero fault that no one else showed up to race with them. We raced in a low turnout class for 5 or 6 years. We tried our best to get other people involved but sometimes you strike out. So what should we do? Not race at all because everyone else backed out? Sell our stuff and spend even more money we don't have to join another class just so we can make internet people happy?

The very first time we raced our garage built, former daily driver truck, we had some issues and ended up being the last vehicle running on course. We had only one other truck in our class show up and they were out after the first lap. We fought all day and ended up timing out by about 7 minutes. In spite of that, every single person involved was stoked to get there and happy about a great day at the races. I encourage everyone to show up to your favorite race and hang out at the finish line an hour before closing. I guarantee you'll see some of the biggest smiles and hardest high fives. Everyone has a different motivation for showing up to race and it's silly for anyone else to negatively judge those who invested their time and money to actually show up. For the vast majority, it's not their fault their classes don't have a lot of turn out and instead of knocking them we should be applauding them for busting their asses to show up and be a part of it all.

az_amsoil

Reaction
Couple years back I was chasing for a team in Mexico. The car broke in a very remote area that took several hours to get out to them. We had all the parts/piece to fix the car and push it forward. They didn't want to continue because they wouldn't make the podium with all the down time. All us chase guys were bummed! As we are preping the car to tow out (more time than the fix), a competitor (in same class) pulls up with an issue. We provided parts/labor (since we were not racing) and pushed them forward. They finished 3rd!!

If we'd got that podium spot we would have celebrated it as a win, no doubt...BUT they gave up and we didn't get the chance. You have no clue what teams go through during a race (or even getting to the race).

NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!

BajaTriumph

Reaction
Winning a Desert Race is the ultimate goal! But just participating in a Baja race with a motorcycle or car/truck you built yourself, with your own hard earned money is what I live for!! I have many finishes with podiums, with equipment I built, but the real goal is for my driver/wife, Tonya to enjoy Baja as I have my whole life!! She got her first 1st in the Norra Mex1k with no competitors making it a race, but the real challenger was Baja itself, starting & finishing each day was the goal!! She finished 62, but beat a lot of great cars!!! DNF and no finish, trophy, but great memories! If I had a Mil$$$ budget, winning would be the goal, but great memories with Familia & Friends is the best!

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
2019 Baja 1000, rain delay, race starts Sat instead of Friday, up all night, took a nap in a parking lot of a gas station in San Felipe overnight, waiting to hear anything about our truck. Finally get word the truck is heading to me, head South to finally chase my leg of the race, Puertecitos to Laguna Salada. No chance of a podium, pushing it just to finish on time and I had to work the next day at 7am.

It was by far the least amount of fun I've ever had at a Baja 1000, but we got it there.

I think it depends on the race, I wouldn't spend too many resources to finish a CODE Grand Prix race but for the Baja 1000, you have to be all in.

1621284485581.png