Racing or joy riding

J Prich

Reaction
I remember when Josh Daniel won the Silverstate 292 but lost the Silverstate 300. That SUCKED.
Josh has had more than his fair share of heartbreak type races like that. He's a guy I would love to see behind the wheel of a competitive TT all season. I think he could easily consistently be at the front of the pack.

A Vance

Reaction
My question to the O.P. is, why does it matter to you?
It doesn't matter to me what others do, I am just curious what others racing experience is. Our finishing rate is super high. So I have gotten to the point where if we are not doing good I am bummed. My outlook has changed. Early on we were excited to finish. Now a finish is expected to a certain extent. I can see excitement about finishing in the longer races being higher. I just see people who finish races that were almost double the time of the leader in their class treating it like a win. If that was their goal then good for them. Since I don't know I figured I would ask what others expectations are. It seems to be a good question because lots of opinions are being expressed. Like most have said each racers objective is different.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
It doesn't matter to me what others do, I am just curious what others racing experience is. Our finishing rate is super high. So I have gotten to the point where if we are not doing good I am bummed. My outlook has changed. Early on we were excited to finish. Now a finish is expected to a certain extent. I can see excitement about finishing in the longer races being higher. I just see people who finish races that were almost double the time of the leader in their class treating it like a win. If that was their goal then good for them. Since I don't know I figured I would ask what others expectations are. It seems to be a good question because lots of opinions are being expressed. Like most have said each racers objective is different.
I get what you're saying. I kinda got an ear-full (by an RDC lurker) at the last legacy race about me commenting in this thread that winning is what matters.

"you don't understand what its like from a little guys perspective. Blah Blah Blah"

I explained that I had evolved to that opinion and only because after years and years and reckless spending the peeps I have run with have collected a lot of wins.

But the dude made it seem like my thoughts on this were "snobbish". It actually bugged me for at least 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

ltr450rider

Reaction
I get what you're saying. I kinda got an ear-full (by an RDC lurker) at the last legacy race about me commenting in this thread that winning is what matters.

"you don't understand what its like from a little guys perspective. Blah Blah Blah"

I explained that I had evolved to that opinion and only because after years and years and reckless spending the peeps I have run with have collected a lot of wins.

But the dude made it seem like my thoughts on this were "snobbish". It actually bugged me for at least 5 minutes. :rolleyes:
You should have given him the finge... never mind.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
not bad andre braugher GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

jon coleman

Reaction
If winning was easy.... loser's would do it!
losers win every single time they get up out of the dirt & give it another try,& are at peace with there lot in life,true losers are the ones who win all the time and are still miserable&not happy

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 23

bobylax

Reaction
My “racing” career started in go-karts. No budget, family team with very low expectations of making a podium. My paper route paid for gas and entry fees. I just loved racing but had no delusions of grandeur. One weekend I was having a great race and was in 2nd place going into the final sweeper against the hot shoe “rich kid”. He made a mistake and went wide and I ducked inside him. He chopped down, our wheels touched and he ended up on his lid. I took the checkers! It was an amazing feeling, but to be totally honest, pales in comparison to how I felt with my 385th overall finish at my first Barstow to Vegas. I’ve raced go-karts and MX, banging wheels and handlebars on closed courses, but nothing ever gave me the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment of me and my ‘73 Yamaha MX 250 trying to compete against Mother Nature. I finished most of my desert races, and with the stories that accompanied them, finish or DNF, feel every desert race I competed in was a “win”!!!

cjohnson

Reaction
I'm not sure what the mix is amongst the commenters but I've raced bikes and UTVs. I've found it much more difficult to get a car to finish a race due to mechanical breakdown than a bike. That might be influencing the different points of view.

jon coleman

Reaction
I'm not sure what the mix is amongst the commenters but I've raced bikes and UTVs. I've found it much more difficult to get a car to finish a race due to mechanical breakdown than a bike. That might be influencing the different points of view.
imagine riding drum brakes, 6-8" travel, horrible shocks/ forks for 250 -1000 miles, how did Malcolm do it??

rustyb

Reaction
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

fastfelix

Reaction
My son and I prepped our 11 car by ourselves (we had never done) last year and raced primm. We started dead last (23rd)and ended up 8th place. Sure felt like a win to us. Day 2 we were running 4th on time and had electric problems. . Just to finish is awesome but pushing to get better

Rcamp99

Reaction
For me. It’s both. I’d love to podium or win, but just being at the race and rolling off the starting line is such an achievement.
There’s a lot of back story to this. I am paraplegic, ran out of talent riding dirt bikes one day. Just being able to race is a win in my book.

The amount of work my family, friends, and everyone on my team puts into it makes me fight for every mile. They want to see the car cross the finish line. Regardless if we are in first, or last. And we’ve done both. At the Snore night race, we were the last car to finish. At Snore battle at primm we took the overall win in class and fastest of all the NA SXS class. Legacy Pahrump somewhere in the middle. But we’ve finished every single race we’ve entered so far and I plan on keeping that going as best we can. We put our all into it every time we go out there and I could give a poop less if we have a bad day and aren’t competing for the win. It’s all about having fun with my friends and family. And if we are racing, we are having fun.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Several years ago I had the opportunity to drive the old cow 8 truck for RPM with Rudy and Newhan. We crushed it. No big issues, blew everybody else in the class away by several hours. It was probably the most boring race I've ever done. The adventure happens when stuff gets pear-shaped and you have to adapt and overcome.

Ahem, we were 45min ahead of you till rm1030ish. Then axle decided it no longer wanted to be an axle. I told Rudy as he went by, welcome to first place.