racing requirements

Erik Irvine

Reaction
I am interested in racing my baja bug in an MDR race. I have mostly everything that is required by the 2002-2003 SCORE book. I was wondering if anybody new of anyone who is a referee, that I could stop by there house or work and have them look at my car before I load up the whole family/friends and drive to a race only to find out I have to go home and fix something. Thanks in advance.

Jim_Dizney

Reaction
Since you're located in the San Diego area I suggest you contact Bill Savage, the Score tech inspector, at (760) 599-1013. He should be willing to set up an appointment for you and passing his inspection will guarantee legality in any promoters race.

Good luck!

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
MDR also has 2 prerunner classes.
Basicaly if its "street legal" or currently registered you can run it.

Erik Irvine

Reaction
Klaus,

Our baja bug is registered in California and has a plate, but it has some issues about actually being legal. It doesn't have turn signals, mud flaps, speedometer stuff like that. Would I still be able to run it in the prerunner class? What number is that class and is it considered sportsman or pro? I would rather race a class like sportsman because of the caliber of race teams and cars. Currently I was looking at rules and I would be competing in the class 5 unlimited because how our car is set up. Because of limited funds and being a beginner I feel I would have better luck in a class that is for fun instead of cut throat racing.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
1400 is the pro prerunner class, a higher entry fee, more laps and a cash payback. But often have few entrys.

1450 is the street legal/sportsman class. lower entry fee, less laps. Usually larger number of entrys.

Both classes must meet all saftey requirements. Have current valid registration, and a windsheild.
Vehicle sizes and motors are basicly unlimited, turbos's, superchargers, full size, mini ect...Not all vehicles have speedos, ect. Brake lights are a must.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
67, Get a hold of Fud. He runs some great races down your way which are favorites for people that reside in San Diego.

Fud is all about the little guy and helping the beginner. Fud's site is at http://www.fudrace.com

Do a year of those successfully then step up to SCORE.

See you in the dez and in Baja!

kurt

Reaction
Also class 1300 at MDR races is a sportsman buggy class, they don't need to be street legal, pretty much a "run what ya brung" class. Everything from baja bugs to four seat play cars and older outdated off-road race cars race this class. FUD also has a class that would fit your car.

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
if your in san diego, you may try fud races first like somebody stated before me, also you may consider running the code circuit in Mexicali, weve still got 3 races left this year, 15th of august by Jacume,Mexico, the mexican side of Jacumba, one in october in the Salada dry lake bed and december from Ensenada to Mexicali and to San Felipe. Entry fees are 200 buck and you could race class 14 whhich includes all 5 open and 1-2 1600 sporstsman class. It runs around 10 cars per race, 100+ cars per race.

good luck, but remember once you race, your hooked for good !!, Forget you retirement fund, the new house, that trip your always making. Instead its credit card payments, pay the shiop,new shocks, pit money, fuel money, and getting stranded in the dezert for hours, got really drunk,and those twiiiiiiins !!!!.... (Tecate twins, actually cousins..

good luck

el tiburon

p.s. the only hassle is border crossing, but if you got papers for your car, no problem at all.....no fees..