Racing seat inserts for different sized drivers???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Question for you guys. . .anyone have experience with foam inserts (whether bought or made it yourself) for racing seats so that different sized drivers can use the same seat?

We have 4 guys. . .between the 4 of us it's basically two pairs (two skinny guys and two bigger guys). I was thinking of getting the seat that would fit the two bigger guys and then putting 2-part expanding foam in a GIANT heavy duty trash bag, setting that in the seat, and then the two of us that are slimmer sitting in the seat until the foam stops expanding and is stable enough to get out of the seat. . .waiting for the foam to cure, cutting the excess foam off, and then vacuum sealing the "insert" so that we all use the same seat and we all have a nice snug fit in the seat. . .

. . .anyone ever do that before? This is low-buck racing (relatively speaking) so we don't have thousands of dollars to spend on professionally, custom, day-long fitting sessions.

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I've never done what you are thinking about... but a word of caution; there are MANY two-part foams and while some will likely be fine for your application I would GUESS that the majority would not be able to handle the stress and forces of impacts common in off road racing. I would suggest contacting a seat builder to talk about the possibility... If the foam breaks down while a skinny guy is in the seat the belts would loosen and movement would cause discomfort and chaffing even if there is no wreck that could really get someone hurt...

What about seat sliders?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Good point. . .I should have mentioned that this isn't for an off-road vehicle. . .

. . .it's a road race truck ('65 Ford F100 body on an '03 Ford Crown Victoria frame and running gear), but this forum generally has the most knowledgeable people on it and usually has the best answers for questions.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Good point. . .I should have mentioned that this isn't for an off-road vehicle. . .

. . .it's a road race truck ('65 Ford F100 body on an '03 Ford Crown Victoria frame and running gear), but this forum generally has the most knowledgeable people on it and usually has the best answers for questions.
Oh, sounds cool, but I would still be concerned about impact safety in a wreck...

isdtbower

Reaction
I know it is pretty common in long races where there are multiple drivers. On the asphalt side, some pour foam into a plastic bag to form fit the driver. This is quickly changed out. On the offroad side, suspension seats add to the complexity and keeping belts tight.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I found some fire rated expanding foam that is specifically for automotive/motorcycle seat cushions from Smooth-On (Flex FoamIT 7 FR); I talked with a tech rep and they are going to send me some cured samples in different densities so that I can select the correct support density. . .once I get that I will order a sample pack to see how hot this stuff gets (it exotherms during curing) so I know what type of flexible containment to put it in and whether we will need some protective clothing/material to keep from getting burned while this stuff expands. . .

_

Reaction
TravisD is spot-on. Not only is this kit available from Pegasus, there are several other options out there for making motorsports seat inserts. If you view the youtube link from Pegasus website, other youtube video suggestions will popup to the right with other product options.

Most road racing teams stopped pouring two-part expanding foam seats in the early-mid 90's. This is when the foam bead options became readily available. The foam bead concept was developed for not only greater seat integrity and endurance, also because to many persons were destroying driving suits. There is nothing worse than to have a bag leak which you are sitting on (which was not uncommon), and have the expanding foam leak onto the driver's suit. It was a necessity to where the driver's suit to prevent burns from the heat generated by the two-part foam as it starts to set and continues to cure. And, it is impossible to get the foam out of the driver's suit.