Racing Trax Not Tracking the Mint?

dtcevo

Anyone know why we're using yellow brick instead of RacingTraX at the Mint? I just looked into yellow brick and it doesn't look like they have any of the safety features that we have with Racing Trax. No pass alert button, no stopped vehicle alert, and now I guess we have to get out and walk to the back of our car where the yellow brick is strapped on if we need to send a medical alert? Serious!?
Seems like we're going backwards. Why the change BITD? Seems we have less safety features now? Are we running this new system for the rest of the season?

MTPyle

Has to be politics or money. Haha really those are two in the same.

Obviously the YB is not nearly as good a system or as safe as the RacingTrax. The people that made the decision to use YB must know that. So there is more to the decision and I bet money or buddy deal has something to do with it.

In My opinion BITD should dictate all that goes on with safety and vehicles. Trackers included.

RacingTrax was not perfect but one thing it did well was alert of someone broke down on course. That in itself is huge and can save lives.

We are for sure going backwards with YB. But I think its just for the Mint.

Mike

Desert Son

Great question! Why So Vague ??? Bottom line. Your SAFETY and my SAFETY have been sold out! I text Killian directly asking about tracking and push to pass and downed vehicle/rider alerts, he stated " We would never comprise our racers safety " but that's exactly what has happened. All new to this years Mint 400 spectators can purchase (of course) a grid walk pass. Great idea. lets put spectators right next to race vehicles "Moments before the start of the great American Off road Race" as racers are focused on Helmets, HNR, fans, GPS, etc........ If my memory services me correctly there was a Monster energy girl badly injured at the Baja 1000 this past year in a similar " Grid " experience. I guess it's nice to know that it's not just our safety being put up for sale !?!?!?!?! Maybe a ___2019 Mint 400 safety/push to pass ___(standard in every other series) Pass, could be made for purchase. I get it, the Martelli's aren't racers, they have never climbed out of a vechile that is on it's lid, It's scarier then Hell. I know for a fact that the Stella/Racing trax units have prevented racing accidents like the one Jordan Poole was injured in several years ago at the Mint 400 . I pray to GOD that it doesn't happen again.

swiftracing5

I’m sure RT will chime in as he is active on here which is awesome.

Might have something to do with not having enough units to cover all the racers? Wasn’t last years Mint where they were swapping units to cars in the next heat at staging?

dirtslinger

I’m sure RT will chime in as he is active on here which is awesome.

Might have something to do with not having enough units to cover all the racers? Wasn’t last years Mint where they were swapping units to cars in the next heat at staging?
Yes, AND Class 11 never got any of the pass alert units...….Just about the slowest class out there!

RacingTraX

Yes, AND Class 11 never got any of the pass alert units...….Just about the slowest class out there!
Last year we had enough pass alert units until they allowed 50 more racers to get in at the last minute. This year knowing it was going to be a multi-day race we dropped a few hundred thousand dollars to build up our inventory to make sure that everyone would have an AlertTraX safety unit. It was rough getting the news that Mint was going in a different direction this year. This was not a BITD decision and we will be back tracking the Silver State 300 and V2R.

fishd00d

What A Joke
As someone who follows all of the different tracking at races for years now I can say that the RT stuff was some of the best. Their time splits at various points of the race was awesome. It’s going to be a HUGE bummer not having this this race. We won’t know who’s really leading at any point of the race until it’s over while not being there.

Also not having a push to pass or emergency button in the car seems so 2000s to me and not 2019 at all. YB seem to work well consistently as very few times have I seen a YB unit fail but I don’t think that out weighs the safety aspect.

Zambo

As someone who follows all of the different tracking at races for years now I can say that the RT stuff was some of the best. Their time splits at various points of the race was awesome. It’s going to be a HUGE bummer not having this this race. We won’t know who’s really leading at any point of the race until it’s over while not being there.

Also not having a push to pass or emergency button in the car seems so 2000s to me and not 2019 at all. YB seem to work well consistently as very few times have I seen a YB unit fail but I don’t think that out weighs the safety aspect.
Suggestion for you fish since you seem to have lots of volunteers helping you report on the races for your page.....have them download the racesplitter app and then send out a good starting grid to everybody. That way they can easily keep track of corrected times at various spots around the course and report in. I've used it a bunch when helping teams and it works well. The hardest part is setting up the starting grid, but once that is done its a piece of cake. And you're not handcuffed by tracker or internet issues during the race, just need some comms with whoever is out in the field.
RaceSplitter - Race and split timer for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad

fishd00d

What A Joke
Suggestion for you fish since you seem to have lots of volunteers helping you report on the races for your page.....have them download the racesplitter app and then send out a good starting grid to everybody. That way they can easily keep track of corrected times at various spots around the course and report in. I've used it a bunch when helping teams and it works well. The hardest part is setting up the starting grid, but once that is done its a piece of cake. And you're not handcuffed by tracker or internet issues during the race, just need some comms with whoever is out in the field.
RaceSplitter - Race and split timer for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
Ya that’s a pretty cool app I have used it a couple times. I’m also working on something else that may or may not happen for this race. Stay tuned :)

dirtslinger

Last year we had enough pass alert units until they allowed 50 more racers to get in at the last minute. This year knowing it was going to be a multi-day race we dropped a few hundred thousand dollars to build up our inventory to make sure that everyone would have an AlertTraX safety unit. It was rough getting the news that Mint was going in a different direction this year. This was not a BITD decision and we will be back tracking the Silver State 300 and V2R.
Don't take my comment the wrong way, I like how the racing trax performs and we've rented from you for Pre-running and racing in Baja. Was just a shame someone decided that Class 11 would be the ones that didn't get the pass alerts.

Wish we were using you guys again this year at the Mint.

dtcevo

Has to be politics or money. Haha really those are two in the same.

Obviously the YB is not nearly as good a system or as safe as the RacingTrax. The people that made the decision to use YB must know that. So there is more to the decision and I bet money or buddy deal has something to do with it.

In My opinion BITD should dictate all that goes on with safety and vehicles. Trackers included.

RacingTrax was not perfect but one thing it did well was alert of someone broke down on course. That in itself is huge and can save lives.

We are for sure going backwards with YB. But I think its just for the Mint.

Mike
Sad. Our safety is up for bid. I'm glad its just for the Mint. So if BITD didnt make this decision. Is it safe to say the Martelli's? This was a money decision they made? Why?

Robin Hood

Push to pass shouldn’t be part of desert racing. Flame away all you want, but part of desert racing is knowing when you can and can’t drive thru dust and being able to control your vehicle when approaching other racers. For years we raced without this.

havahockey

Flipper
From yb trackers at KOH seemed to take longer to update then the racing trax units do at bitd. Also a few times i'd be tracking the race at koh and a racer would jump around the course randomly. Racing Trax always seem to be pretty accurate and the leaderboards that they have are awesome

Dave Cole 4454

Another thread I should stay out of....but here it goes.

I have nothing against RT and I am impressed with how much theyve invested intellectually and financially to make a better product.

As a promoter, I choose to use YB because they are the most stable and consistent tracker I have used. I have used them all as both a racer and a promoter back to Rally Logger and of course IRC.

From a sheer standpoint of operationally running a race, you are not losing an inch to the competition by using YB.

I have chosen not to use Stella or RT because as a racer I have not seen the additional performance (push to pass and chase tracker/comms) work consistently enough to warrant either the cost or the hassle of having racers complaining that their race was compromised because of technology.

If you can pass...pass.

Do not miscontrue any of this as a knock on RT...just personal experience of 7 years using YB, you are in very good hands.

RacingTraX

Push to pass shouldn’t be part of desert racing. Flame away all you want, but part of desert racing is knowing when you can and can’t drive thru dust and being able to control your vehicle when approaching other racers. For years we raced without this.
I disagree, and this isn’t coming from a business stand point either because we didn’t raise the price of our tracking service one dime as we developed and introduced our push to pass system. We didn’t do it because it’s a money maker (which is usually what drives everything these days), we did it because it was the right thing to do AND IT DOES SAVE LIVES. If you remember a few years back at the Baja 500 there was a fatality on the Mango Racing team where the navigator was hit by another truck driving through the dust at speed. The next Baja 1000 they introduced the Anube Stella unit, I raced that race and appriciated what it was trying to accomplish. We took that idea of the push-to-pass and stop alert and “in our opinion” improved on it by building in a high end spread spectrum radio system so that instead of a general warning of a stopped vehicle you now get an arrow and count down. And Dave Cole is right, our system wasn’t perfect right out of the box, it’s taken a bit for us to perfect the programming and technology. If you talk to anyone that raced the Parker 250 or 425 this year I think they’ll tell you that the AlertTraX is pretty much spot on now, at least that was the feed back we got at the finish as we removed trackers and talked to each racer. Oh, and if you want to hear cool story after cool story of this technology saving people butts during a race, come hang out with us at the finish line... open invitation :)

ErikIrvine

I have been racing local series since 2005 with no technology for tracking or passing. Last year's Baja 1000 and this years Parker 425 made me a believer in Push-to-Pass. I knew desert racing was risky, but never really spent any time dissecting the riskiest parts versus others, but the push-to-pass is the single best feature in my opinion in all of these trackers (coupled with racers willing to use it and allow for passing). I was impressed with Racing Trax; as a company, at Parker, and thought to myself "I wonder if SNORE & MORE will ever adopt use of these?" I will gladly pay the fees associated with them, which I thought was fair pricing. THANKS GUYS!!

ErikIrvine

Push to pass shouldn’t be part of desert racing
This sounds good, but the reality is I have two kids, a wife, and a bunch of other people that are waiting for me to get to the FinishLine, and being hit by unknowing racers behind me because we got to the hazard 10 seconds before them happens all too often. Same story for the guy who's in front of me stopped in the middle of the dust with a mechanical issue.

Robin Hood

I agree a stop alert is an excellent feature! What does a “stopped alert” have to do with “push to pass”?