Racingtrax for V2R Bikes

AngryShawn

Tri406

Mounting brackets are being sent out today! Would have been Monday but I had a few family things come up.View attachment 203095
In message #20 you said

Talking about 2017, unfortunately there was a manufacturing defect in the mounting bracket and so a crucial piece broke causing units to literally fall off
Mounting brackets are being sent out today! Would have been Monday but I had a few family things come up.View attachment 203095
Talking about 2017, unfortunately there was a manufacturing defect in the mounting bracket and so a crucial piece broke causing units to literally fall off, had they not fallen off the fail rate would not have even come close to those numbers. .
When you said that, I thought I'd like to see that bracket, I bet it would take a few seconds to see what's wrong with it.

If this is the new and improved version it's a joke, the picture of the bracket mounted to the vendor is probably the most amarturish thing I've ever seen. Who designed this monstrosity? Evidently nobody with an real engineering background. The reliefs at the end of the tab where it blends into the plate are almost laughable, what the **** were you thinking. That bracket wouldn't last a gentle ride up in the mountains.

Dhigbee

Make your own mount. I’ve posted several pics of what we have used for both score and Bitd. The time everyone has spent bitching about it could be used in the shop to make something. It literally takes 30 minutes. Two upright bars off your handlebars with a piece of horizontal strapping / metal. A set up like we built should work on any quad/ bike.

Tri406

Make your own mount. I’ve posted several pics of what we have used for both score and Bitd. The time everyone has spent bitching about it could be used in the shop to make something. It literally takes 30 minutes. Two upright bars off your handlebars with a piece of horizontal strapping / metal. A set up like we built should work on any quad/ bike.
But you shouldn't have to.
Not many people have material lying around to make a mount
Not many people have a mill/bandsaw/drills/files availible
Not many people have have the ability to design and build what would be adequate.

navynuke

That makes your defect ratio 97.8%. What's your testing protocol to ensure this is any different?

What happened during that race? Wasn't an ATV racer just about killed because he was hit by a TT in the dust? By your comments it doesn't sound like this scenario is covered by your "new" system that you want the handlebars to buy into. Lessons should be learned and adopted.

Whose responsibility is it to pass safely? Isn't that the person doing the passing? Why should the handlebars have to pay for a system that is there to help the cages make safe passes? It isn't needed if it is just handlebars, only needed when the cages are present. Then to top it off, the system doesn't even warn the cages that there is a handlebar in front of them. A lot of things don't add up here. A lot of detail is not being looked at and lives are at stake.

What is the most critical situation? Is it bike on bike? Cage on cage? When conditions are clear?
The most critical situation is when visibility is bad and it is a cage on a handlebar, that's when death happens. Does your system address this situation? Are you confident enough of that that you will ride a handlebar into said situation with a cage behind you at race speeds?

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of an electronic solution is great...once it has been vetted. Race day is not the time to be checking your quality control or its attributes. You are not ready to go to market with this.

Great concept, very poor execution, scrap it and start over.
I was the first bike on the scene of Alex's incident with a TT on my XR650R. In context of the situation the transponder probably added no safety/value due to being hit by second of 2 trucks close enough together that the track system was probably unable to display the situation.

Probablem #2 was when I activated the included emergency button i got no feedback if it transmitted or not. Ended up activating my personal SPOT unit that i test every 6 months or so,(this called my whole family and created unintended panic but that's another story.)

After this problem the unit broke off prior to my mechanical failure dropping me out at pit 10.

Also had issues with mixed results on vehicles passing me activating the pass alert. I know handlebars were struggling to push the damn button while passing/bouncing and assume similar issues for other vehicles, or failures, or training/practice, or ??? all leading to no faith by anyone i talked to who had them.

cynicwanderer

OK, let's see all your creative racingtrax mountings...or are you all going to wait until tech. and then just tie-wrap it to something. I'll start (current concept):

IMG_20190803_183659574_HDR.jpg

misterktm

I just viewed this thread as there isn't much other action here. My oh my...bit of cluster for the bike guys (I used to be a bike guy...before any tracking at all was required). I will say Racing trax has been great for us truck/buggy/car guys.

So, the reason for my addition to this thread...I still recreationally ride bikes and a couple years ago made what I call 'Buddy bars'...I made them for my son so he had something to hold onto when I took him for a ride. I have a CNC machine shop and just ran off like 50 sets of the things and was planning on throwing them on the e-bay. I never did and still have them sitting in the shop. Not sure if any of you guys could make use of them for mounting the racing trax unit, or perhaps moving something else (GPS etc.) to this device freeing up more handlebar room for the racingtrax maybe. Just a thought - email me if anyone is interested in a set.

WP_20160211_003.jpg
WP_20160208_003.jpg

misterktm

$20 for single, $30 for a pair + shipping...or I can bring to V2R (Texas station). Doesn't include grips.

Not sure I can put pricing in here ??? I'm not an 'advertiser'..not looking to sell these to make a bunch of money though...just trying to offer a potential solution.

Anyhow - moderator may nix this posting with pricing....

cynicwanderer

$20 for single, $30 for a pair + shipping...or I can bring to V2R (Texas station). Doesn't include grips.

Not sure I can put pricing in here ??? I'm not an 'advertiser'..not looking to sell these to make a bunch of money though...just trying to offer a potential solution.

Anyhow - moderator may nix this posting with pricing....
nice, I like the "buddy bars"....

cynicwanderer

its real? the company of the SAFETY DEVICE gave this idea of mounting? OMG, what about you lights and number plate?
I can get my number plate over it, assuming the real unit doesn't stick out further than the bracket. I'm just kind of curious what others have come up with. This took me most of sunday morning trying to find a location and moving around bunch other stuff. I'm kind of dreading tech inspection; I bet it's going to be a clusterf*ck getting all the unit installed on all the bikes at the RT booth, including the GPS antenna and handlebar switch, etc...

BTW, this thing is huge compared to the spot asset tracker (little black box on top of fender).

IMG_20190803_183929319.jpg

cynicwanderer

how'd it go... my racingtrax stayed on the bike. I noticed a couple of phantoms out there, most likely units that fell off and tumbled to the side of the course ? I couldn't really discern the two different alarms, i.e. stopped vehicle vs. push to pass.

AngryShawn

Mounted ours on the rear fender, neither my teammate or I ever heard the alarm, it it worked at all.

MatttheHatt

Mounted ours on the rear fender, neither my teammate or I ever heard the alarm, it it worked at all.
I mounted mine to the front fender. It stayed on OK, but when racing I could only just *BARELY* hear the chirp over the wind, motor and earplugs. I heard it only once around mile-175 where 707 had stopped to assist 522?, who had crashed. Between there and pit-6 the strain relief failed and the cable to the buzzer broke.

Overall it worked fine, but it would be nice to have a tone entering and exiting speed zones. It also needs to be smaller and louder.

cynicwanderer

I got caught, which not a big deal since I just pulled off course and waited out most of the fast TTs/Class 1s. however, later most of the buggies/UTV just use their horn/siren instead of using the racingtrax anyway, which makes the device pretty useless. I think a better idea would be just to have a proximity alarm that alarms on the bikes when we are about to overtake a slow/stopped vehicle or a faster vehicle overtakes us. i.e. just automatic, and take the driver/co-driver out of the loop. the device is even more useless for the faster moto/quad classes that don't get overtaken by the trucks. this is just my observation/opinion. I suppose the crashed/bike down notification and the speed zone alarms make it useful for that feature. I don't know how reliable it was for tracking purposes, since all my team/followers were following my spot over the racintrax website. I didn't use the Wifi/texting feature. hopefully, the emergency response crews were able to get to the injured riders more quickly because of it.

Rlovell

I got caught, which not a big deal since I just pulled off course and waited out most of the fast TTs/Class 1s. however, later most of the buggies/UTV just use their horn/siren instead of using the racingtrax anyway, which makes the device pretty useless. I think a better idea would be just to have a proximity alarm that alarms on the bikes when we are about to overtake a slow/stopped vehicle or a faster vehicle overtakes us. i.e. just automatic, and take the driver/co-driver out of the loop. the device is even more useless for the faster moto/quad classes that don't get overtaken by the trucks. this is just my observation/opinion. I suppose the crashed/bike down notification and the speed zone alarms make it useful for that feature. I don't know how reliable it was for tracking purposes, since all my team/followers were following my spot over the racintrax website. I didn't use the Wifi/texting feature. hopefully, the emergency response crews were able to get to the injured riders more quickly because of it.
We caught a few bikes in the 6100 truck. For each bike, I tried the push to pass but our unit was not functioning and I don't believe the bike ever got the alert. We did our very best to make sure we didn't scare the rider and make a clean pass. We may have passed you, and if we did with no alert I apologize, I was mashing the push to pass.. I assume other 4 wheel vehicles may have been in the same situation. I have shared our concerns and experience with Racingtrax.

cynicwanderer

We caught a few bikes in the 6100 truck. For each bike, I tried the push to pass but our unit was not functioning and I don't believe the bike ever got the alert. We did our very best to make sure we didn't scare the rider and make a clean pass. We may have passed you, and if we did with no alert I apologize, I was mashing the push to pass.. I assume other 4 wheel vehicles may have been in the same situation. I have shared our concerns and experience with Racingtrax.
yeah, I totally understand. There were only a few times I was surprised. most of the times I scan behind me for dust clouds during corners to make sure I have some situational awareness, but sometimes in the tighter stuff it's hard to see back far enough. I suspect that most vehicles that used the horn probably tried push to pass, first. I think for the most part we (bikes and trucks) get along really well and I appreciate you guys patience !