RacingTraX RS1 Ironman Challenge! Who's in?

RacingTraX

Reaction
Originally I was going to post this on January 1st as if it were a New Year’s resolution, but then I remembered I’m not good at keeping New Year’s resolutions so instead I’m posting this today as a thing I’m going to do in 2021 along with an invite for anyone who’d like to join me.

As a quick introduction, my name is David Clay, most people in the Off-Road community know me as the RacingTraX guy.

When I was 17 I lived in Aurora Colorado where I talked my high school auto-shop teacher into letting me build a Ford Bronco II into a “real desert race truck” which I entered into the mini stock SUV class in BITD back in the year 2000. After one race my life savings were pretty much gone, and due to my employment at Taco Bell I realized those savings weren’t going to be replenished anytime soon. At that point I decided to ask the guy that won our class if I could just race on his team, to which he agreed. After that I ended up driving or taking a gray hound bus from Denver to Las Vegas and rarely would I miss a race.

Over the next 20 years I raced with a bunch of different teams, dumping gas, navigating, pre-running and every once in a while getting the opportunity to drive a section. Regardless of what I was doing I was always just grateful to be at a desert race.

In 2014 I started Baja Tracking after racing in Mexico and seeing how bad tracking and communications could ruin a race. In 2016 BITD asked if we would become their official tracker, so with that RacingTraX was born and I got what I like to call my accidental second full time job, which I love.

For a couple of months now I’ve been thinking a lot about the last 20 years and how quickly it has gone, I also think back to that old Bronco II and how I have not since had a race program of my own.

This past November my brother and I pre-ran the Baja 1000 in my RZR, after each long day of running I would comment about how I was never ready for the day to be over. I’m sure many of you have felt this same way. This feeling got me thinking, what would it be like to go until you were absolutely hating life, what would it be like to hit that wall and then have no choice but to push though it and make what might feel like an impossible task possible. I’m sure some of you have experience this, but up until this point I have not.

Over the last month the wheels have been turning and now after passing this idea by a few race buddies and getting the thumbs up from the wife, here’s what I’ve come up with....

The “2021 Baja 1000 RacingTraX Polaris RS1 Ironman Challenge!” It has a long name because it’s going to be a LONG race!!

Here’s the jest of it, I want to Ironman the Baja 1000 in a Polaris RS1. Why? Because it’s going to be incredibly difficult, plus no one has ever ironman’d the Baja 1000 peninsula run in a single seat UTV before. They say if you have a goal you are supposed to make it public to have some level of accountability, so over the next 11 months I’ll be posting about how I’m training and preparing for this challenge. Anyone that races knows that there are a lot of things that need to happen before you get to that start line, so I’m going to be documenting these things, it should be fun.

Even though finishing this race is now a personal goal of mine, this challenge is not meant to be all about me. In fact, I cannot do it alone which is why I am inviting those who want to do something really hard to do this challenge with me. The idea is to build a group of guys (or girls) who want to work together over the next 11 months and share how each is preparing for the event, kind of like a Baja 1000 RS1 support group. These can be short course guys who are already racing the RS1, or wanna-be-racers like me who love the sport but might not know how to get started. I want to extend invitations to people like health guru Steve Cook who sometimes posts pics of himself in is XP1000 Turbo, or how about Heavy D Sparks who just set a world record for the longest 2-wheel bicycle in a Polaris XP Pro (14 miles I believe), or even Diesel Dave who once did an endurance ride from the bottom of Brazil to Utah on a motorcycle. Speaking of motorcycles, Gregg Godfrey currently has the record for iron-manning the Baja 1000 peninsula run on a dirt bike back in 2007... It’s time to get into a Polaris RS1 Gregg, there are new records that need setting!

It’s okay if there are a lot of guys in the class because for this particular race it shouldn’t be about winning, it should be about preparing yourself to be able to race for 40+ hours straight all while keeping your car together for 1300+ miles. It’ll be a huge accomplishment for anyone that can just finish within the allotted time.

Though there are still a lot of details to iron out, I’m going to have RacingTraX sponsor trackers for all the race and chase vehicles in the group so we can plan group pit strategies and know where everyone is. I also want to rent a compound I know of south of Ensenada where everyone in the group can go, like an RacingTraX RS1 base camp. This way teams without a lot of Baja experience don’t have to try and figure out lodging and security on their own.

Follow me at davidrclay on Instagram and be sure to tag those you think would be up for this challenge of a life time!

Bring on 2021!!!

2021ChallengeLogo-01.png

MTPyle

Reaction
So cool, Great story and amazing challenge. Cant wait to follow along.

Thanks for stepping up and challenging yourself.

Mike

RacingTraX

Reaction
Yes! That’s exactly right. Like an Ironman throwback, but in RS1’s. It was hard then, it’ll be hard now.

kris_r

Reaction
@RacingTraX super cool! Your stoke has me stoked!

I’m *gently* planning to Ironman on a motorcycle in 2021, depending on the financials and sponsors. It’s a lot to think about, no doubt!

FYI after the 2020 Baja 1000, there was chatter about it starting in Mexicali for the 2021 peninsula run. All unconfirmed speculation.

I’ll be following you for sure! Nice work.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Greg Godfrey does not hold any sort of Ironman record. There is no such record since the race course changes every year. I don't actually think there was an "Ironman" class in 07. And most peninsula runs are around 1000-1100 miles. The 50th anniversary race was around 1200, the 40th, 2007, was 1400 and finished in Cabo, and the Baja 2000 was 1800 miles and finished in Cabo.

But otherwise, I think it sounds like a great goal. Good Luck

RacingTraX

Reaction
Greg Godfrey does not hold any sort of Ironman record. There is no such record since the race course changes every year. I don't actually think there was an "Ironman" class in 07. And most peninsula runs are around 1000-1100 miles. The 50th anniversary race was around 1200, the 40th, 2007, was 1400 and finished in Cabo, and the Baja 2000 was 1800 miles and finished in Cabo.

But otherwise, I think it sounds like a great goal. Good Luck
I’m not so sure you’re right, Wikipedia NEVER lies 🤣

E6277184-815D-4F45-8537-6E95C88F8AF0.jpeg

RacingTraX

Reaction
@RacingTraX super cool! Your stoke has me stoked!

I’m *gently* planning to Ironman on a motorcycle in 2021, depending on the financials and sponsors. It’s a lot to think about, no doubt!

FYI after the 2020 Baja 1000, there was chatter about it starting in Mexicali for the 2021 peninsula run. All unconfirmed speculation.

I’ll be following you for sure! Nice work.
Oh man, doing it on a bike would be gnarly. It might take longer in an RS1 but at least I’ll have a comfortable seat, roll cage and cup holder. Here’s an idea, ditch the bike and get an RS1 and join the group 😁👍🏻

JDDurfey

Reaction
I’m not so sure you’re right, Wikipedia NEVER lies 🤣

View attachment 220983
How can there be a record when the course is a different length every year. I don't know how Greg managed to get Wikipedia to write that, but it isn't exactly the truth. He may have been the fastest "ironman" of that race, but he didn't win the race. And, he didn't win his class because there wasn't an Ironman class at that race. I believe he rode the sportsman class.

And if you want to talk about an Ironman for Baja, I was standing at the finish of the Baja 2000 waiting on my teammate when I watched a guy finish that Ironmaned the 1800 mile race. He did it in less than 44 hours!

What you want to do is cool, but the facts are the facts. As a former bike racer that wanted to ironman the 1000 and never did I paid attention back in those days. I moved from a bike to a Class 1 car in 07.

RacingTraX

Reaction
How can there be a record when the course is a different length every year. I don't know how Greg managed to get Wikipedia to write that, but it isn't exactly the truth. He may have been the fastest "ironman" of that race, but he didn't win the race. And, he didn't win his class because there wasn't an Ironman class at that race. I believe he rode the sportsman class.

And if you want to talk about an Ironman for Baja, I was standing at the finish of the Baja 2000 waiting on my teammate when I watched a guy finish that Ironmaned the 1800 mile race. He did it in less than 44 hours!

What you want to do is cool, but the facts are the facts. As a former bike racer that wanted to ironman the 1000 and never did I paid attention back in those days. I moved from a bike to a Class 1 car in 07.
Yeah that guy needs to come forward and claim the point to point distance record. Ironmanning 1800 miles on a bike is unreal!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Wiki is not facts, it is definition by submission, so lots of untruths get published. Most likely he submitted that himself and no one has refuted it, so it stay there until someone proves it incorrect. That's how Wiki works.

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
the best luck !

MTPyle

Reaction
Dhigbee

that’s amazing. The 1000 on a quad is a huge accomplishment. Super stud.

Mike

kris_r

Reaction
Oh man, doing it on a bike would be gnarly. It might take longer in an RS1 but at least I’ll have a comfortable seat, roll cage and cup holder. Here’s an idea, ditch the bike and get an RS1 and join the group 😁👍🏻
With age comes a cage, buddy. One day I’m sure I’ll be in that class or a similar! In the mean time, doing it on bikes gives me a good reason to stay fit.

Also it gets expensive when you add wheels! I can manage to do the thing on a bike and keep it reasonably priced. Doing it in a 4-wheeled rig sounds out of my price range at the moment.

Anyone wanna sponsor my RS1 effort? 😬

RacingTraX

Reaction
I did a lot of the longer ones solo and ironmanned the 1000 in 2013. Now we mainly do teams ( getting old lol )
That’s incredible. Get on a quad and drive it off road from St George to Salt Lake, get there and turn around back to St George... oh, but once you get back to St George you’re only 2/3rds of the way done... turn around and go back to Salt Lake. That’s how far you went! All without a cage and a cup holder... absolutely inspiring!