RacingTraX RS1 Ironman Challenge! Who's in?

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
Totally
If it was me, I’d try and get my filler neck to one side or the other to make it easier to fuel. Otherwise looks great!
Totally, I just have it that way temporarily so I can go put some miles on the car. I still need to route the vent line up and around the cage and do a neck on the filler line.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Ive been slacking on updates on this.

Travis Zollinger at ZRP is building the chassis. We will be running identical +12" wheelbase with HCR long arm kits.

I have been focusing on getting in shape, other than round. As of today Im down 50 pounds since the start of KOH. Another 30 more or so will get me to my target of 250.

I have been talking to Polaris about supporting the entire group with race spares.

Last thing for planning. If anyone wants to do a race pace shake down/durability test, I am looking to do 500 miles out in JV in early October.

Sincerely stoked to be going on this adventure.

Dave

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
That is some great insight, thank you! Any chance you’ll be joining the challenge in your RS1? 😃
Because you are already familiar with the RS1 let me ask a question.... Is it possible for it hold up to an endurance challenge like the one I’m proposing as is, meaning no upgrades to the suspension or drivetrain. Not saying I’m apposed to upgrading, but just saying if someone wanted to do this on the cheap could they.
In 2018 I got a new RZR XP4 1000, I put urethane arm guard on the front and rear, an aftermarket skid plate, bolted on 32’s, revalved the shocks and did the springs. Other than that it was 100% stock. In one year I put 7,000 miles on it which included pre-running the NORRA course, a Baja 500 and 1000 and countless trips from St George to Mesquite and Sand Hollow runs. In that time I never bent or broke anything and only replaced the clutches once. So technically, shouldn’t the RS1 be stronger than the xp4? I get needed to do all the upgrades if I was planning on “racing” the thing to beat out other competitors, but for this particular challenge all I’m looking to do it click along at a solid pace to try to finish in the allotted time. So in your opinion what NEEDS to be done?
I wrote this before reading the entire thread, so excuse the redundancy, cause I know it will be repeated by the racers here;

Aftermarket arms and shocks are MANDATORY if you want to command 1000+ miles solo. Beadlock wheels and many other considerable reinforcements would be instrumental in you either finishing within the allotted time, or DNF-ing.
You'll become so fatigued that you will undoubtedly make mistakes. Shock bending, a-arm & cv joint breaking mistakes. Failures that you would be most likely the only guy on hand to repair with what tools and parts you may keep in car . Full underbody skidplates protecting shocks, exhaust, cv joints/boots, plumbing and the like are also great to minimize you losing time to track side repairs. Frame and tab gusseting will also minimize time consuming repairs. Remember that Ivan was in a different category, as his team support and total vehicle redesign by Toyota racing's top minds are the main things that allowed him success while driving solo.
By the time you get out to change 4 or 5 flat tires, demolished trailing arms, broken axle and cv joints, shattered wheel hubs and sheared pivot hdwre, clogged fuel and air filters, steering racks and ball joints.... all items that a stock UTE would surely consume in an effort to finish in the allotted time, you will be so spent that a search and rescue effort would be gladly received. Never think you can drive a car smarter than the desert is hard.
I'm sure people in the racing community will come forward and offer help to get you to the starting line more prepared. I'll be following this thread for sure. Best wishes.
Thanks by the way for Racingtrax. It is what keeps me interested in following the races which I cannot attend.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Echoing the post above, Ive got a slightly different logistics plan.

My gut says 1200 miles in an RS1 will take 32 hours. I have gone 16 hours at a stretch numerous times. Im also pretty comfortable with driving through the night, but when the sun comes up my body clock gives me the big F U.

I would assume we will be off the line around 1230 and the half way point will be near Vizcaino.

I plan to race the first half, rent some rooms at my buddies hotel in Viz...get there, pull the car into his shop, sleep for 4 hours while my guys rebuild the car...transmission, brakes, shocks, steering rack, axles/cvs, diffa
s...full tear down.

Get up, get an IV...race another 16 hours.

My goal is to finish. But my gut says I will be faster in the long run this way than dealing with me mechanical and personal fatigue that will certainly ensue if I try to go straight through.

D

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
Echoing the post above, Ive got a slightly different logistics plan.

My gut says 1200 miles in an RS1 will take 32 hours. I have gone 16 hours at a stretch numerous times. Im also pretty comfortable with driving through the night, but when the sun comes up my body clock gives me the big F U.

I would assume we will be off the line around 1230 and the half way point will be near Vizcaino.

I plan to race the first half, rent some rooms at my buddies hotel in Viz...get there, pull the car into his shop, sleep for 4 hours while my guys rebuild the car...transmission, brakes, shocks, steering rack, axles/cvs, diffa
s...full tear down.

Get up, get an IV...race another 16 hours.

My goal is to finish. But my gut says I will be faster in the long run this way than dealing with me mechanical and personal fatigue that will certainly ensue if I try to go straight through.

D
Do me a favor... get a room with a double bed, lol. I like your strategy. BTW, Major congrats on being down 50lbs. That is no easy feat. I need to get my butt into gear. Travis Zollinger was telling me about his workout routine... it was IMPRESSIVE!!

43mod

Reaction
I got an hour in san ignacio during a planned long stop . The only reason i got the hour was our 1 hr turned to two when a broken tie rod bolt was found . I could not sleep the first hour . Then another 45 min at constitution during an axle change . At that point sleep was immediate . 6-7 am clearly the toughest part . Going 15 mph in giant whoops down south was impossible to stay awake in . Getting to 55 was terrifying but necessary to make it in time . Initial goal was to drive to rm 1020 and get out . 2 am at 1020 and it was like being on the moon . Nobody . Radio dead of all traffic . No bfg . No weatherman and no crew or fuel . At that point you drive to town for fuel and get back to racing . This was no ironman but a damn long day w 7 co dogs only two of them had been in a race before . Tl truck . Beforehand i worked out for a year and no alcohol for weeks prior to .
Single biggest issue ? Chase crew exhaustion . We dodged bullets and some things could have been deadly . Never should have been that way . If ever again i will hire some help since voluntolds are rare especially in northern cal .
You guys are gonna have a blast

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
Keep an eye on fuel cell heat. With the radiator blowing all the heat on the fuel cell it could cause some vapor lock issues.
I agree 100%. Packaging the critical cooling, hydraulic, fuel, and electrical systems in such a small UTE will be the biggest challenge for any UTV builder. In our first year racing UTV's, we lost 1/2 a season chasing vapor lock issues because I thought the fuel pumps were best mounted externally for access/servicing purposes. Finally learned through advice and hard knocks that in tank plumbing/pumping is the best solution for reliably pumping fuel to the intake within such confined spaces (based on stock UTV fuel flow requirements, of course). After all, they ARE fuel pumps, not vacuum pumps! They are designed to "push", not "pull" fuel throughout the lines.
External micron filters are also a must. The "coolest" zone in your small Ute is inside the fuel cell. 2 fuel pumps and a fuel pressure gauge is also mandatory so you have a back up at the flip of a switch, and real time data regarding fuel flow. I dont care how anyone tries to keep silt from the fuel source, but silt always finds its way into the fuel system somewhere along the way. Careful there
Get a heat or fire-wrap sponsor. Every bit of fuel line that is NOT located exposed to open/cool airflow should be wrapped to protect against heat and consequently, vapor lock.
Holy crap, could write a book about fuel system dynamics and design! Sorry if it's TMI....

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
I got an hour in san ignacio during a planned long stop . The only reason i got the hour was our 1 hr turned to two when a broken tie rod bolt was found . I could not sleep the first hour . Then another 45 min at constitution during an axle change . At that point sleep was immediate . 6-7 am clearly the toughest part . Going 15 mph in giant whoops down south was impossible to stay awake in . Getting to 55 was terrifying but necessary to make it in time . Initial goal was to drive to rm 1020 and get out . 2 am at 1020 and it was like being on the moon . Nobody . Radio dead of all traffic . No bfg . No weatherman and no crew or fuel . At that point you drive to town for fuel and get back to racing . This was no ironman but a damn long day w 7 co dogs only two of them had been in a race before . Tl truck . Beforehand i worked out for a year and no alcohol for weeks prior to .
Single biggest issue ? Chase crew exhaustion . We dodged bullets and some things could have been deadly . Never should have been that way . If ever again i will hire some help since voluntolds are rare especially in northern cal .
You guys are gonna have a blast
Wow! That’ll make a memory!

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
I agree 100%. Packaging the critical cooling, hydraulic, fuel, and electrical systems in such a small UTE will be the biggest challenge for any UTV builder. In our first year racing UTV's, we lost 1/2 a season chasing vapor lock issues because I thought the fuel pumps were best mounted externally for access/servicing purposes. Finally learned through advice and hard knocks that in tank plumbing/pumping is the best solution for reliably pumping fuel to the intake within such confined spaces (based on stock UTV fuel flow requirements, of course). After all, they ARE fuel pumps, not vacuum pumps! They are designed to "push", not "pull" fuel throughout the lines.
External micron filters are also a must. The "coolest" zone in your small Ute is inside the fuel cell. 2 fuel pumps and a fuel pressure gauge is also mandatory so you have a back up at the flip of a switch, and real time data regarding fuel flow. I dont care how anyone tries to keep silt from the fuel source, but silt always finds its way into the fuel system somewhere along the way. Careful there
Get a heat or fire-wrap sponsor. Every bit of fuel line that is NOT located exposed to open/cool airflow should be wrapped to protect against heat and consequently, vapor lock.
Holy crap, could write a book about fuel system dynamics and design! Sorry if it's TMI....
Great information!! This whole process has been a major eye opener for me. For years I have raised in Mexico where I show up on a team and the car is ready to go. Now that I am doing everything myself it’s crazy how much goes into one of these cars. I read comments like yours and think... ooh yeaahh, that’s something I need to look into more. So the advise is great, thank you.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Here ya go.

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
Here ya go.
That thing is ready to roll! What a great opportunity for somebody to be able to get an inexpensive car and go race the Baja 1000... I know a group of guys who are already doing it 😉

Rocket 450

Reaction
I saw these on Facebook and figured I would Share , no idea how how much extra work would need to done to get them Baja Ready but the prices seemed fair for the current market
rs1s for sale.png

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
I had a great time going on The Dirt Life Show to talk about the RS1 challenge. George puts on a great show. Check it out! The first couple minutes has no volume but we get it fixed pretty quick.

51rcr

Reaction
I had a great time going on The Dirt Life Show to talk about the RS1 challenge. George puts on a great show. Check it out! The first couple minutes has no volume but we get it fixed pretty quick.

haven't got to watch that yet but curious, how did the legacy race go?

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
haven't got to watch that yet but curious, how did the legacy race go?
The Baja Nevada was an awesome race, everyone really liked it. For me though the car just wasn’t ready, so instead I went and pre-ran the entire Baja 500 in one shot. At the end of that I learned a lot and will be making quite a few changes to my RS1.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
This is awesome!! I know we race with the big red H company, but this is exciting to see.

You guys have all of my support!

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
It’s pretty cool, a kid named Jared was sitting in a Seattle airport scrolling through YouTube when he came across the Dirt Life Show with guest “yours truly” David Clay talking about the RS1 challenge.

After watching the entire episode Jared put the phone back into his pocket, leaned back into his seat and said “I’m going to race the Baja 1000”.

The next day Jared called me and he officially joined the group. With the help of RISQ Racing Jared got an RS1 put together and decided to cut his teeth by racing the longest race in America- The Vegas To Reno! Which he did. And finished!

Pretty cool kid to have in the group! Congratulations buddy!

Attachments

• 6632F582-63DC-4C61-9D46-4D868EBCF2E3.jpeg
    6632F582-63DC-4C61-9D46-4D868EBCF2E3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DDB24956-6896-4E9E-8310-FC7D0BC0C303.jpeg
    DDB24956-6896-4E9E-8310-FC7D0BC0C303.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0