• Forum membership has its advantages....

radiator for toyota II

TRDshaunTRD

well, I spoke to Griffin for them to build me a basic radiator and they quoted me $800. I was thinking that it would come out to around $300, and I can't affor $800. Does anyone know of a reason it came out that high, and can anyone recomend another place where I can get an aluminum radiator for my Tacoma?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Ryno

Summit racing. 1-800-230-3030. Also BeCool, they make nice aluminum pieces, I don't know if they have a website or not. If you called and talked directly to Griffin, they are probably making a custom unit. That's the reason for the high price. I'm sure your radiator also has a transmission and oil cooler in it, which also adds. While your at it, if you don't have electric fans, get them. They shouldn't be much more than $150, and they help alot with HP and mileage.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Jkrell

are you having cooling problems?
On my 90 toyota pickup I used a griffin radiator I bought from summit racing for $180. But I had to make a custom mount for it. I'll post a pick of it tomorrow when i'm at work.
Jon.

vwguy

just buy a universal aluminum from some company and make new mounts for it no big deal
and if your transmission is also plumbed on the same radiator get a seperate cooler for that
and yes electric fans should be budget'd in

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

TRDshaunTRD

i have a stick shift so i don't need the transmission cooler, and I have budgeted in for an electric fan. The reason I'm getting a radiator is not because of cooling problems but because I busted my stock one durring a race. I looked to get a universal from Be Cool, but there are many different universals to choose from for all other makes besides Toyota, so I am not sure what to get.

Jkrell

Here's a pic of the radiator. I believe it was the 'ford style' (meaning the outlets were set up passenger top, driver bottom) 19" wide radiator from griffin. I'll be racing out at the next MDR race. Feel free to come by and get a closer look.
Jon.

Attachments

Jkrell

the mount on the truck is a clamp style mount off of a tubular core support. It could probably be mounted off of the stock core support but it would take some creativity, the skies the limit, you could probably weld a bracket on the the aluminum radiator that would mount in the stock location. Don't quote me though I'm not sure how its configured. Also, on my truck I had to change the position a little of the inlet/outlet tubes to work properly. Its pretty easy but you need to find somebody with the capability to weld aluminum. I know duffco enterprises can in San Dimas. Come by at the race and I will pull the hood off for you so you can take a look.

Are you the guy that crashed the front of his truck and the airbag blew out at the sand blast? If so I can understand why you broke your radiator.

Good Luck.
Jon.

TRDshaunTRD

Yup, thats me. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the race to see your truck for myself. Did you have to move the inlet and outlet on the radiator, or just adjust the tubes to the new positions?

Jkrell

I had to move the inlet and outles on the radiator. I would imagine the tacoma setup is much different then the older trucks though...who knows maybe it would work out.

Jon

TRDshaunTRD

wouldn't longer hoses to go across to the opposite side work?

Jkrell

no I didn't move them from side to side...I just changed the angle on them to make them work.....but no I don't think I would run a hose across to the other side. thats just asking for trouble, i.e. fan, shroud, pulleys, etc. You can buy the radiator with whatever outlett/inlet configuration you want though.
good luck.
jon.