radiator???

singlehanded

Reaction
Last week my heatercore went out on my 94 ranger. I bypassed it for the mean time, but it seems that my radiator is going bad also. I am going to change to a 180 thermostat, heavy duty clutch fan and a high flow water pump and change all hoses. I was also going to upgrade to a alumimum radiator and electric fan, but I called a shop today and he was telling me to just buy a stock radiator because its hard to mount it and he would only put it in a tube chassiss truck. I was wondering if an aluminum is overkill or not?

truck is 8 wider front,j-arm beams coilovers and bumpstops,back deaver ,and soon king bypasses, rear end 4.56 w/ lim. slip ,engine 4.0 intake and exhaust and stock 5 speed. I plan on racing mdr street legal class in the future.

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have the bigger radiator from an explorer, a HD fan clutch and had the 180 thermostat. The truck ran like crap and was rich as hell. I have an autometer temp gage and it was never reading over 180..NEVER. THe truck is designed to run at 226 so the dealer says. I bought the 197 degree thermostat from Ford and my truck runs great now. It runs between 195 and 215 all day in traffic, with air, up the pass, in a sand wash at 4 grand,...anywhere. I suggest you do not run the 180 thermostat.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

singlehanded

Reaction
Ok so run the a stock 195 thermostat but what do you think about the radiator? What year is your explorer radiator and did it bolt right in? What does anybody think about getting an aluminum one?

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
IT is out of an exploreer with a 4.0. I got it new off ebay from a radiator company in compton. I pain 125 for it. Believe me it works awesome. Aluminum radiator is good for the "bling" effect but come on now this is a truck for the dirt...not the show room. Invest your money elsewhere. I would suggest an electric fan if you like to hear the motor becuase my trucks sounds like a 747 with the fan clutch that is in it.

Kris

dezertchick

Reaction
I have an Explorer raditor in my 89 Ranger, bolted right in, a flex fan and 180 thermostat some more crap at least I never overheat now. I do have a 4 core aluminum raditor just sitting waiting to go in but why fix what isnt broken. I also scored a killer price on the Explorer radiator, place called Radiator Haus, 800-750-4780 they are in Riverside and San Bernardino.

singlehanded

Reaction
kritter was it silla cooling,where you got the radiator from? Are the explorer radiators bigger or just better flow?also do the ranger hoses fit?
thanks for all info everyone.....

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I am not sure what the place was called. The hranny lines are plugged, but transmission lines through a radiator is not a good idea anyways. It bolted right in and all I had to do was get the explorer bottom hose...top hose was the same. support@911radiators.com is there email address

Kris