• Forum membership has its advantages....

Radio channel licenses

MTPyle

We use a team radio channel that our team (Kelson Motorsports) paid for the FCC license for years ago.

it works pretty well as our team has different classes so not a bunch of us racing at the same time.

but every race we get other teams using our channel during the race. It has caused some Issues and confusion. The other teams do not say what car they are and since it’s our channel we don’t either.

The way I understood it was you either got your own channel or you had to ask permission from the person that owns the channel.

Maybe it’s not that simple. To be honest I have no idea how the FCC handles channels when in different areas. I am sure in some way we are all breaking the law. It seems the bands we all use are controlled so for me that means unless you have the License to operate on that channel you are breaking the law.

how do you guys decide what channel you use? Do you have the proper license for the specific channel?

It’s not like the CB or Family band where anyone can use any channel. The band we use is like Marine or Avaition which both are controlled by the FCC.

Maybe this has already been discussed?

Mike

edit. Yes you can get nationwide fcc license

michael.gonzalez

Short answer. 90% (Maybe 95-99.9%) of radio users do not have a license by the FCC (EDIT: I only have experience at the MORE races with radios in a race setting, otherwise I use them on weekend trips to Johnson Valley, Baja, etc). It's a bit every-man-for-themselves when it comes to radios in the desert.

Most races I've been in, we've had to share the channel with other race teams (We are not licensed and they are also not licensed, we also don't find out we are on the same channel until we are staging and all the teams are radioing to their pits, at this point, its usually too late to switch freqs).

If you think licensing a certain frequency "reserves" it from anyone else using it. You are wrong. Most won't care that your channel is licensed and they might tell you to suck it up and deal with sharing channels.

Last edited:

MTPyle

your right that by the time we find out there are others using our frequency it’s too late. Last race at Laughlin we had to turn ours off as the others kept making noises. So we went the race without comms

I bet many more teams than you think have the proper license.

Maybe it’s just the smaller teams that don’t so they just jump on any they want. but that does not make it OK. Seems like there has to be a better way

it’s $375 to get a frequency licensed.

But I guess if everyone thinks they don’t need one and can just do what they want then there is no value in the License

not trying to be selfish or rude. But it’s like I brought a bunch of gas to a race and your saying it’s OK for the ones that didn’t bring any to share what I have, even if that means I run out. Radio frequencies are a limited resource and valuable at that.

Maybe Rugged or PCI should get a bunch and rent them?

Just trying to understand how it works and what we can do to make sure we have comms at a Race.

Mike

jon coleman

i cant believe some people would go to the desert & not bring gas, sit in the camp & burn all your wood, drink your 12er of corona, while your group is out on a dune run...( tru story, someone in the group ' homeys' showed up like that, then they left withOut re- stocking the spent supplys!!, Capitol offense....)

Sdracer

your right that by the time we find out there are others using our frequency it’s too late. Last race at Laughlin we had to turn ours off as the others kept making noises. So we went the race without comms

I bet many more teams than you think have the proper license.

Maybe it’s just the smaller teams that don’t so they just jump on any they want. but that does not make it OK. Seems like there has to be a better way

it’s $375 to get a frequency licensed.

But I guess if everyone thinks they don’t need one and can just do what they want then there is no value in the License

not trying to be selfish or rude. But it’s like I brought a bunch of gas to a race and your saying it’s OK for the ones that didn’t bring any to share what I have, even if that means I run out. Radio frequencies are a limited resource and valuable at that.

Maybe Rugged or PCI should get a bunch and rent them?

Just trying to understand how it works and what we can do to make sure we have comms at a Race.

Mike

Don't you think it has been this way for many many years?

If you want to only hear your team on your frequency, you have it programmed with a privacy tone. Call PCI, they can program all of the radios on your team to have a privacy tone that only those programmed radios can call out and receive from.

michael.gonzalez

Don't you think it has been this way for many many years?

If you want to only hear your team on your frequency, you have it programmed with a privacy tone. Call PCI, they can program all of the radios on your team to have a privacy tone that only those programmed radios can call out and receive from.
I did not know this was a thing.

With this, you would have to program each radio in advance though, correct?

Let's say our race team all have the privacy tones programmed in. Then my buddy (Not on the race team) pulls up with his radio setup he just bought.

If my radio is set to ONLY receive signals that come with the privacy tone, I would not be able to hear anything he transmits, correct?

Sdracer

Let's say our race team all have the privacy tones programmed in. Then my buddy (Not on the race team) pulls up with his radio setup he just bought.

If my radio is set to ONLY receive signals that come with the privacy tone, I would not be able to hear anything he transmits, correct?
To my understanding, you are spot on. That is why the team that I first learned this from, no longer uses the toned frequency. Unless the race is solely covered by their shop owned chase trucks with that Privacy Toned Freq. KOH T1 race is the perfect example of that.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Replace everything get a frequency in the 800mghz range no more issues.

51rcr

Your frequency is prolly registered to your small local area. you can do traveling frequency like harvesting crews but you will still have to share when in another area if its legit also since theres not enough for the whole country for every business to have one. Thats just how desert is. Also i would guess one of the reasons most TTs on satellite with radio back up.

baja_racer

Shame on you for not using a licensed frequency.

MTPyle

Actually I checked into it and you can get a nationwide license. Take a look at this info that PCI provides.
Mike
2F974C47-C847-4CBF-9963-06B97F4A60C2.png

AZ7000'

We use a team radio channel that our team (Kelson Motorsports) paid for the FCC license for years ago.

it works pretty well as our team has different classes so not a bunch of us racing at the same time.

but every race we get other teams using our channel during the race. It has caused some Issues and confusion. The other teams do not say what car they are and since it’s our channel we don’t either.

The way I understood it was you either got your own channel or you had to ask permission from the person that owns the channel.

Maybe it’s not that simple. To be honest I have no idea how the FCC handles channels when in different areas. I am sure in some way we are all breaking the law. It seems the bands we all use are controlled so for me that means unless you have the License to operate on that channel you are breaking the law.

how do you guys decide what channel you use? Do you have the proper license for the specific channel?

It’s not like the CB or Family band where anyone can use any channel. The band we use is like Marine or Avaition which both are controlled by the FCC.

Maybe this has already been discussed?

Mike

edit. Yes you can get nationwide fcc license
No one on your team goes 56+ with a trailer in CA or 76+ in AZ without???

Getting picky with certain laws that suit your needs but not all of them is a slippery slope... Yes, other teams on your frequency is a super bummer.

MTPyle

What? Your saying because someone on my team went over the speed limit then its OK for others to take a resource they paid for?

What do you mean picking the laws that suit my needs? Like I will not slow down in pit areas during a race because it fits my needs. is that a option? What rules can I decide not to follow?

Your guys justification is crazy. Your saying its a limited resource so we have to share? thats not true you can buy more and bring to the desert. Your saying it's the way it is so its OK? Like man I have been steeling beer from the 7-11 for years and getting away with it, so now its OK if I keep doing it?

You can bring your own so you don't have to take from others. It's only limited because a few teams did the right thing and bought the frequencies.

I was just trying to understand and see if there was a better way. I was not expecting you guys to come and justify using a frequency thats not yours and act like I am the problem for expecting people to follow the rules. WTH??

I sure hope there are some reading this that think to themselves wow I didn't know you had to have a license and I didn't know I could get my own. I hope the mojority is not just saying too bad deal with others taking what's yours.

I think it would be best if everyone tried to be responsible and get permission to use the channels they are on. If they hear someone on the channel they always use maybe go find them and talk about it. Or go get your own frequency. Our team has not problem sharing the channel when our cars are not racing but I think you should come ask.

Rant over, LOL
Mike

Dave Cole 4454

You can have National Licensed freqs, but the only way to enforce it is for the FCC to catch the offending party and do something.

Our four operations channels and repeater are licensed.

This is part of racing and promoting.

Stuck mics or people walking on your channel happen. Try to talk to the team that ends up on your freq, they dont want to have race get wonky either.

Using tones wont make the problem go away. If someone is keying up on your freq without a tone, it creates static or interference on your toned radios. Tones give you privacy but not isolation.

If you do decide to tone. Tell PCI what your channel is and your tone. They will keep you in their database and when a crew member buys a radio or gets theirs programmed they can set it up correctly and consistently.

And MSATS solve all of this and more, but leave a mortgage sized hole in your wallet

D

Big Whitey

Mike, you are spot on on the radio issues, we have been looking into all of these issues recently so a very timely post, if you are paying for it, sharing sucks. If you are borrowing it be polite and ask or just pay the small fee and get your own. That’s what we are working doing to share with about 3-4 teams that all support each other anyhow

MTPyle

Dave,

Thanks, good info. I may look into MSATS. We have an iridium go mounted in the truck that we can use with our cell phones for voice if needed but that really only works when stopped, as we don't have it into the comms to use with helmets. But its been really valuable a couple races we had issues when comms would not reach the chase crews.

We finally got our comms working really well so now it matters if someone is on the same channel.

Big Whitey, thanks I am glad there are guys like you looking into it. If everyone was responsible with it we would not have a problem. I am going to look into it and make sure our teams license is current. For all I know its not and the other team owns it LOL that would be funny.

Mike

Jack

That is why the ham radio is superior for this use. I can add a frequency and PL tone at the race on the fly. When the "channel" is unknown, I can scan for the frequency and then search for the PL tone. All good. Business radio is useless when changes are needed.

johndjmix

We have both a commercial license for our frequency and I personally have my ham license.

I’m really surprised more teams don’t do this. We use our radios for business and racing. It’s nice to have them around town between trucks especially when we run an event.

Short answer to solve your issue....just have PCI program a PL code (tone). Problem solved.

—john

AZ7000'

What? Your saying because someone on my team went over the speed limit then its OK for others to take a resource they paid for?
If they paid for, yes they get it. Did you mean "I" paid for?
What do you mean picking the laws that suit my needs?
You chose the radio frequency law to follow but stated above your team went over the speed limit law, so you did not choose that one. One "suit(s) your needs".
Like I will not slow down in pit areas during a race because it fits my needs. is that a option?
I have no idea, that's why I didn't say it. I suppose it is an option
What rules can I decide not to follow?
Any, all, none, or a mix i suppose
Your saying its a limited resource so we have to share?
I don't think I said that. I am in favor for sharing limited resources tho, pit space and trailer parking come to mind.
Your saying it's the way it is so its OK?
No, I said it is a super bummer
Like man I have been steeling beer from the 7-11 for years and getting away with it, so now its OK if I keep doing it?
Didn't really say that either
Didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios this morning, hope your day has improved, obviously a passionate subject for you. On 3 teams I have raced with regularly over a dozen or so years on both sides of the border it has never not been a problem.
Rant over, LOL
Copy that 👍

Last edited: