• Forum membership has its advantages....

Radio channel licenses

MTPyle

Just talked to Rugged. they are going with Work with BITD to get radio frequencies when you register and then send the list to Rugged and PCI so they can check for conflicts before the race. Then at least we have a way to talk to the other teams before the race and coordinate.

I agree there is some value to sharing a channel with other teams but it will help if the teams know ahead of time who else is on and make sure they use proper protocol.

We will see if we can get this problem solved or at least improved.

Mike

Big Whitey

Guys we do use our team number, you can even watch the video I posted and my son says 6122 race. The problem was the other team on our channel did not use their number and we got lazy and assumed it was us. Obviously we could have confirmed and thats what we should have done.

The issue is not radio protocol, the real issue is others using frequencies that are not theirs.

I think the best solution is to get PCI and Rugged to share a list. Maybe even have RDC post the list and it can show team names and car numbers. You could look at the list and if that team is not at the race then you should be able to use that frequency.

We need to find a better way. I think having a shared resource would help.

But maybe some teams would not want their frequencies shared on a list?

Mike
Actually I believe Rugged has a list on they’re website. I don’t recall where it is, I think in tools or help, up in the right side, but I know it used to be there and you can print and laminate it for future uses

MTPyle

So I did some more research and turns out you can’t get a single frequency. You get a license to use a block of channels and others with a license can also use that block.

So we are stuck sharing. Haha. Oh well.

I still think the best idea is to have the racing body collect teams frequency at sign ups and provide that list to Rugged and PCI.

Mike

NRT_Chris

kyle_pc_75

I've tried getting this info at BOR races so Weatherman can be of more help. Trouble is, a lot of teams don't know their freq. At small races like ours, I often thought of tech having a scanner to help pinpoint/confirm what channel(s) the teams are running on but never went through with it. We don't have a PCI or Rugged trailer sitting around to help.

43mod

I must have a license my radio says Phillips on ch 7 from PCI ! The only two things i can add to this. Sharing is ok but i have yet to have the other party respond when we repeatedly ask them to please use their race numbers in transmitting maybe they are "tone deaf". This really sucks. The last super nit picky thing is hearing the rugged guy calling himself Weatherman. Be race central or whatever please. Thats way worse than an un licensed freq to me 🤡

partybarge_pilot

With the amount of spectator radios in Baja, VHF is pretty much useless. M-sat is the only way to go. If you have an issue, call your team and have them call SCORE with the nice tall mast base station you still keep on the chase trucks.

El Mamito USMC

I've tried getting this info at BOR races so Weatherman can be of more help. Trouble is, a lot of teams don't know their freq. At small races like ours, I often thought of tech having a scanner to help pinpoint/confirm what channel(s) the teams are running on but never went through with it. We don't have a PCI or Rugged trailer sitting around to help.
try contacting www.bajaracinggear.com Shannon is a great guy and he might be able to help, hes a PCI sales guy