• Forum membership has its advantages....

Radios

frankh

I have three P100 radio 6 channels 4 watts hand helds that are an older model but in good shape, I will give them to the person that post the best reason why they need them. I will bring them to the 500 or the next mdr race programmed on what ever freq you want. If you are a non-racer have a good reason. like the IP people that mark and pick the markers up for mdr. If you win, you have to give me the freq and if there are race team freq some type of proof they want you to use there freq. Are you can get them programmed some where else. This is not an auction so don't offer to pay for them. Don't know what I really looking for, guess that they will use them to better/help the sport. I will post the winner thurs night

Frank
N2S Racing

jimpat

hi... we would like just to use them for the june 30th whiplash race, as it seems that the class 8 coalition will have over a dozen trucks racing and our radio system is so bad that we going to have a chase truck every 4-5 miles around the course to relay the messages.
After 5 years of trying to get 3000$ worth of PCI radios to work , we gave up and PCI does not seem to help much
After that race, maybe you should keep them and have them again for some one that needs them, that way many people can use them specially new spectators to off road, they would really get a taste of what goes on just by listening to the transmisions like in 651.125, the PCI weather channel. Bob is very interesting and knows a lot....
thanks
jim patelli

spaghetti bender

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Frank, I don’t have any use for the radios but I did just want to say that I think that it is really cool of you to do something like that. Not to many people are willing to give anything away of value these days.

Shaun

billymanfroy

Frank,

First, that's a very generous offer. Whoever gets the radios will be very appreciative, I'm sure.

I will be racing the entire BITD series this year in class 7200. Last year I won the VORRA Class 7 Unltd Championship. This year's tt250 was our first try at BITD. Don't know if you saw a map of the course, but we attempted to do it with 1 (one) crewmember chasing, and 0 (zero) radios. That is not really the best of situations, as I'm sure you'll agree. Especially since I'm in a wheelchair, and literally have been stuck with the truck while my co-driver went looking for help. (Ask Klaus sometime about the flare gun story)

My biggest concern is safety, of course, and I have no valid excuse for not already having radios other than we always find other things to spend the thousands of $'s on. I tried to borrow PCI radios before Pahrump, but they didn't make it. BITD does an EXCELLENT job of marking the course and sweeping, I'm told, and the course is relatively close to roads, but I'd rather be able to try and contact someone if I'm broken or hurt.

My other concern is the racing itself. At the tt250, we hit a rock at MM102 and broke the pwr steering bracket off. It also bent the drive shaft. We limped it the 8 miles to pit #4 with zip ties for a fan belt (yes, that works), but no pwr steering or alternator, and a REALLY bad vibration. Radio contact with our chaser would have allowed him to meet us at pit #4 in time to get the truck fixed and continue. We must've been in 4th or 5th at the time we broke, because we made it further than anyone else that DNF'd, and 2 trucks came by us at pit 4 a long way behind us on time. We asked the BITD guy to radio ahead and have someone at pit 5 find our lonely crew guy and send him our way. The time between hitting the rock and our crewmember showing up was well over 3 hours.

I'll shut up now, but I would REALLY appreciate the radios and promise to put them to good use. I do have several more crewmembers committed to Tonopah, and I do have that same guy telling me I can borrow his 2 radios, but your sets would help us out tremendously. Here's a link to a pic of my truck on ORC: http://www.off-road.com/race/2001tt250/gallery/carstrucks/DSC_0187.jpg.html

Thanks again for the offer.

BIlly Manfroy

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I think that is a very cool offer. The one thing you can say about offroad racers is that they are very generous, and a close knit group. I am happy to say we don't require any radios, finally after all these years, radioless, we are thoroughly equipped. Of course, they are useful when they work. :) Thanks for reminding us how great is to be involved in this sportl

Ellen D

vorra65

Hell frank, I'm not proud. I say give Billy Manfroy's Team 2 of the radio's and the other to me. My Son and I race with Vorra and have no form of communication other than the intercom in the car.We run Sportsman, last year at Yerrington we couldn't find anybody to chase for us-so I put up an ad on the ORC Toyota Board and we got a couple of guys out of Nevada that were just interested. Well they spent the Day with us and actually came out and yanked our butts out to a road after we broke. Theyv'e got the Off Road Racing bug now.And to think they liked that rock crawlin stuff. A hand held would definetely be an improvement to our team.
And- Billy Manfroy Hauls ASS!!

L&SMotorsports

Hey Frank, you are one classy guy. You have offered me CV joints and other parts when I have been in a bind. And I know you have been answering questions from my brother on how to repair my car. My team and myself really appreciate all you help. Because of people like yourself, off road racing is the most enjoyable form of motorsports we have participated in.
Thanks
Tim

frankh

Well here is the deal then, We will go with vorra65 post. vorra65 and billymanfroy private mail me the freqs to program in them, If you are not going to either of those races give me an address and i will ups them.

Jimpat
this are hand-helds and the distant that you will require you will need a mobile, e-mail after the 500 and I will see What I can come up with for you to borrow.

Mdr571

It is all about what goes around comes around. When we have a problem I have found that most people will do what ever they can to help. I do the same and hope that the day that I need help there will be people there. I still remember in a lauglin race we lost the bolt that hold the power steering and flywheel on. Fleet Fuels did not think a sec about pulling it out of his spare motor. Thanks again dave.
and that is how i feel even if you are in the same class ( I only say that because i've been turn down for parts because the car was in the same class). I do not what to beat you because you had problems. beside nobody is doing this to make money so having the thrill, the fun and making it back home safe is what it is at.

billymanfroy

Thanks again, Frank. Rest assured your radios have found a good home. I just sent you an email with all the particulars.

Billy

frankh

bill Got your e-mail and the will ship today. There is a problem though I thought all three were 6 channel
radios but one is a 2 channel so vorra65 gets stuck with it. sorry about that but if i get any used radios in I will e-mail and will see what we can do.

Frank

billymanfroy

Frank,

The UPS guy just pulled up while my brother and I were out in the garage looking at the truck. I just wanted to say thanks again for your generous offer, and let you know that they made it, and you are welcome in our pits any time. I hope we don't need them, but it's comforting to know that we have them. Thanks again.

Billy

pjc

Chairman
Billy,

Consider ATT cellphones as a cheap alternate to radios. ATT has the best coverage in Nevada.

As for the negative comment about PCI. Well, I can only imagine that your radios are not manitained properly. Make sure your antennas are perfectly matched and that your coax and connecters are in the best possible condition for starters. The PCI Vertex radio in my prerunner out talks any radio I have seen so far, even with a non-perfect groundplane.

PJCinLV
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com>http://www.off-road.com</A>
Hated by Eco-Freaks and Bob Yen.