Rage at the River

KyleMurray

Reaction
I have to ask, what was up with the speed zones at the finish line during qualifying and on race days that weren't being enforced? When I asked a SNORE official if there was a speed limit, he said "I have no idea what is happening, but better safe than sorry".

offroadracer516

Reaction
I have to ask, what was up with the speed zones at the finish line during qualifying and on race days that weren't being enforced? When I asked a SNORE official if there was a speed limit, he said "I have no idea what is happening, but better safe than sorry".
There was no speed zone on race day. Just a stop and go at the start finish. Qualifying finish needs to be changed for next year for sure.

MTPyle

Reaction
yeah that start finish line was confusing. We kept slowing down as we thought it was 15 mph zone crossing the pit road. But saw guys hauling right up to the stop sign and hitting the brakes hard.

I am sure we lost 5 seconds or so each time being conservative. Would have been nice to know what they wanted to see so all racers did the same thing.

I don't understand why we needed to stop and go anyway?

Most start finish lines are full speed thru the time trap.

Mike

swiftracing5

Reaction
There was no speed zone on race day. Just a stop and go at the start finish. Qualifying finish needs to be changed for next year for sure.

There was a speed limit sign and a guy with a radar gun telling us to slow down, not sure if there was anything enforced but we assumed that was a speed zone.

MTPyle

Reaction
I got some great photos from Kelly St Clair. he always seems to capture the good stuff.
1544839547331.jpeg

1544839379471.jpeg

1544839422663.jpeg

Wendell #527

Reaction
There was a speed limit sign and a guy with a radar gun telling us to slow down, not sure if there was anything enforced but we assumed that was a speed zone.
. I love SNORE but that is a major failure in organization big time. That brings out the monkey-football analogies.

MTPyle

Reaction
We have only done 4 races but all 4 have been different organizations SADR, BITD, SCORE, and SNORE. It’s been interesting to see the difference between how they are all ran. They all have their strengths.

Mike

ffdfrontman

Reaction
. I love SNORE but that is a major failure in organization big time. That brings out the monkey-football analogies.

That damn guy!!!! I know exactly who you’re talking about. I had just passed a TT racing sportsman in my 11 car a turn before THAT GUY and sign (yes that happened), just to come around the turn with that truck on my ass to have dude start running into the course with his hands held up to stop, waving them like a mad man. So we locked it up praying that truck would too. Thankfully they did, but WHY and who the hell was that guy? He could of gotten us lovely killed pulling that poop.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Snore and more are by far my favorite organizations. Pay the most when you win. Spend the least to go play. And they don’t nickel and dime you at every opportunity. Every org makes mistakes. And honestly the amount of racing they get done in 3 days is unbelievable.

Dirtman

Reaction
SNORE clearly accomplished a magnificent event overall. Herding all those chickens in multiple heats with almost no glitches.

However, there was most definitely a 15 MPH sign as you crossed the road and a dude obviously using a speed gun just as you came into view of the timing loop/finish line. I agree with someone above that if not being enforced that it could easily make a 15-20 second difference over 10 laps between someone trying to observe the speed limit and someone not. Many finishing positions were decided by less. Would not be a very nice way to lose a race.

And with the automatic scoring technology these days kinda hard to understand the stop every lap holdover from the past. There are ways to reduce speed through S/F for safety and manual number verification. Remember the SCORE K-rail slalom? I would think simple cones and Casey's huge penalty rules for touching the cones would work just fine. I've always been a fan of Casey's race through timing loop and then ceremonial finish line a little bit down the road and SNORE did have the timing loop maybe 30' ahead of the flagman so there's was no reason to come sliding into home on the last lap.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I don't understand. The Race Director specifically said at the driver's meeting that there would be NO Speed Zones at this race.

snoreracer

Reaction
SNORE clearly accomplished a magnificent event overall. Herding all those chickens in multiple heats with almost no glitches.

However, there was most definitely a 15 MPH sign as you crossed the road and a dude obviously using a speed gun just as you came into view of the timing loop/finish line. I agree with someone above that if not being enforced that it could easily make a 15-20 second difference over 10 laps between someone trying to observe the speed limit and someone not. Many finishing positions were decided by less. Would not be a very nice way to lose a race.

And with the automatic scoring technology these days kinda hard to understand the stop every lap holdover from the past. There are ways to reduce speed through S/F for safety and manual number verification. Remember the SCORE K-rail slalom? I would think simple cones and Casey's huge penalty rules for touching the cones would work just fine. I've always been a fan of Casey's race through timing loop and then ceremonial finish line a little bit down the road and SNORE did have the timing loop maybe 30' ahead of the flagman so there's was no reason to come sliding into home on the last lap.
SNORE scoring origioanaly was not going to have a speed zone at the end of qualifying, I don't like it either but because of the cars drifting away from the scoring loop at speed and some cars not reading they slowed them down to get a read on the transponder. The start line started out as no speed zone in heat 1 and 2 on Saturday, on the 1st lap of heat 3 a car came in hot and wiped out 4 cones and missed the timing loop by about 6 inches. It was deemed a speed zone was the best fix in short notice. I will give you my word that for Battle at Primm and Rage at the River 2019 this will be fixed, no speed limit in qualifying and at S/F , just a stop and go

MTPyle

Reaction
What’s the reason for the stop and go?

I know in 6100 class it gives even more advantage to the SCORE TT Spec guys with bigger tires and bigger motor to stop and go. The 6100 trucks get killed off the line.

Mike

snoreracer

Reaction
What’s the reason for the stop and go?

I know in 6100 class it gives even more advantage to the SCORE TT Spec guys with bigger tires and bigger motor to stop and go. The 6100 trucks get killed off the line.

Mike
The stop and go does few things , 1st it slows down vehicles and gives the officials more control with flagging . Next if by chance a transponder fell off , this happened to my at a lucas oil race or is not working it give the scoring crew time to input the stop manually. Having a truck go by with 2in of mud and dirt on the numbers at 60 MPH is impossible to score

MTPyle

Reaction
Oh that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

How does BITD do it? I have only done one BITD race but I don’t remember stopping and we ran full speed thru the time trap.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but it seems possible since BITD does it. Or are you saying they do not have accurate timing?

Mike

KyleMurray

Reaction
Thanks for clearing that up Kenny. I am by no means trying to bash SNORE as this is my favorite race of the year and it went so smooth compared to last year. We were abiding by the speedzones just to be safe but saw many other racers at full speed in qualifying and in the heats. Looking forward to BAP, thanks for all SNORE does for us racers!

MTPyle

Reaction
Let me preface this by saying things in forums, emails, and text always come across worse than in person. I can come across as a jerk in text but if you were to talk to me in person I think you would have a different view, maybe. LOL

I have no problem saying what I think as I believe thats how we improve.

My suggestion would be to assign a volunteer to enforcement. To have elected people enforcing laws with the people that elect them is a very difficult thing. My sense is that SNORE wasn't going to enforce anything that wasn't a really bad violation. The fact that I personally saw many violations and not one got penalized means that there were many more that happened that I didn't see.

Having some people follow the rules and others not is a disaster for a race. We are all measured by the same system but if some cut corners or do things that we think we can't do then it's not fair. A race must be as fair as possible.

We need to take politics out of enforcement. It should not matter what brand or last name is on a race vehicle, or who sponsors what.

If I had a flat in the in field I would have stopped in the infield and changed it as I knew I could not go in the cold pits and I was just past the hot pits. I would have never considered going to my cold pit to change a tire. Thats because I would have assumed I would get DQ'd or a penalty if I went into the cold pit, as that was made clear in the drivers meeting. Clearly the two trucks that I saw do that were not worried about any consequences. So they are racing with a different set of rules than I am, which is not a good way to run a race.

The start finish line was confusing and not a good system. The guys that didn't follow the rules gained a lot of time. I don't think the rule breakers should benefit while the rule followers don't.

I am a pilot so I follow rules, most the rules are there to save your life in a plane. If I screw up I know I can be killed or I will get a call from the FAA. So maybe I am on the extreme side of rule following??

I dont know if we will race another SNORE race as it was pretty discouraging to know we were racing against TT Spec guys. We have a hard time competing with the BITD 61200 guys, no way we can hang with TT Spec guys on a short course, even if we had our stuff dialed in at 100% we can not compete.

Not trying to be negative just talking about the issues that I think need attention to improve. There were a lot of great things about the Rage and what SNORE did. The format was great, and we had a great time.

Mike

CMA GUMBY

Reaction
Seems that rules were applied depending on who you are. Things have changed within SNORE the last few years. Not sure we can continue to support...