Raising the rack on a VW Beam

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I'm having some issues with my tie-rods hitting my lower frame tube at droop. I've seen people add spacers on the spindle end of the tie-rods but then I'll end up with nasty bump steer. Has anyone raised both the rack and added spacers at the spindles? I was thinking about 1" up would help.

Also, this is for a play car not a race car.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Raising the rack will give you a ton of bump steering also, is better if you put a bend in the lower frame tub for clearance.
Most floor pan tubes bend up the beam.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I realize that raising one, either the rack or tie-rod end, will cause lots of bump steer BUT what about raising both the rack and the tie-rod end equally?

Giant Geoff

Reaction
That sounds like a good solution, but way more work, fabing up a new rack mount, cutting and grinding the old one off, making spacers at the spindles and hope by doing so it won’t get into the wheel, modifying the steering column and hope by raising it will not get into any thing above it. After doing all this, the rods end up hitting the top tubs anyway!

I would rather cut and replace 2 tubes.

Last edited:

TauMau

Reaction
My uncle's class 12 Mirage pulls 16.5" of vertical (not swing arc) travel with no bump steer. The tie rods were bent for clearance.

Attachments

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
Now there's an idea I didn't think about. Bending the tie-rods sure seems like you would be asking for trouble. Did you guys bend them or did it come from Mirage that way?

Geoff- The rack mount is only tacked and no steering has been made so moving the rack would be easy at this point. But I think the "correct" fix is to re-work the bottom tubes. But now this bending the tie-rods thing has me re-thinking it.

RVracing

Reaction
TauMau,
What happens to the tie rod when at full lock and full droop? To me it looks like it would the lower chassis rail wich could make for interesting steering:D

Cheers RV

TauMau

Reaction
That steering work was done by JFK. Ride height for us is on the straps (stops for this setup) so the front is at full droop in that pic. There is no interference in the setup at full droop/lock. Obviously a couple important factors are getting the setup strong enough and making sure both tie rods are bent to the exact same dimensions.

RVracing

Reaction
Thanks TauMau, The lower chassis rail must be further away from the tie rod than what I can pick in the photo.:)

Cheers Matt