Rally OiLibya of Morocco 2016

spalind

Just creating this thread. ;)

http://rallyemaroc.npo.fr/en/maroc-2016/

10/1-10/7

International event, Final of FIM World Championship and the last rally of the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallies, the OiLibya Rally of Morocco gathered more of 1000 participants, including 300 competitors of all levels, from the 4 corners of the world in 2015.

The 17th edition of the OiLibya Rally of Morocco will be from 1st to 7th October 2016.

Some stats:

1000+ persons on the rally
150 members of organization
714 participants in the race and assistance
200 accompanying and VIP
70 journalists and photographers

27,000 Liters of water consommed

3,760 rations distributed
4,248 rooms reserved
2,250+ kms traveled

The event itself has an interesting history and has occurred intermittently since 1934. Prior to the event kicking off in its current Rally-Raid format it had previously been a WRC event at times and more "stage rally" in nature.

Recent Results:

2013 Winners--Paulo Gonclaves (Honda) [Kurt Caselli finished 7th] and Orlando Terranova (Mini)

2014 Winners--Marc Coma (KTM) and Nasser Al-Attiyah (Mini)

2015 Winners--Sam Sunderland (KTM) [Alexander Smith finished 21st] and Nasser Al-Attiyah (Mini) [highest finishing UTV was 21st of 46 finishers and I see three official UTVs on the finishing list]

spalind

30 days from today! The biggest African Rally-Raid gets underway!

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Had a brief chat with Andy Schultz last night - he will be navigating for Harry Hunt in a Peugeot for this event - the plan is also for them to compete in the Dakar with the Peugeot as well.

Dirty Harry

Had a brief chat with Andy Schultz last night - he will be navigating for Harry Hunt in a Peugeot for this event - the plan is also for them to compete in the Dakar with the Peugeot as well.
Interesting, do you know which generation Peugeot?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Short Bus

Interesting, do you know which generation Peugeot?

Yes. I'd like to know too. I've been trying to piece together who will be in the PH Sport ones. I just saw a French article about Romain Dumas that said he was going to Morocco at the end of the month to test the Peugeot that he plans to drive at Dakar in January. It didn't say which Peugeot though. Dumas drove the first gen Pug last year.
For a guy with no off road racing experience, Dumas has done pretty well in some less than stellar equipment.

spalind

One of the top drivers who was expected at Rally Du Maroc has died this past weekend...

"The Russian rally driver Evgeniy Firsov died last Friday while testing his Prosport team Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX in a head-on collision with another car, which was also testing."

ZequeArgentina

Great news Mark!! So Mini loose one of his big clients, who turned to Peugeot.
I guess Khalid Al Quassami may also be part of the new team, so Harry Hunt is already confirmed, still 2 more cars available.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Press release from Sheikh Khalid:

FIA WORLD CUP FOR CROSS COUNTRY RALLIES, RALLY OILIBYA OF MOROCCO – OCTOBER 1-7

Sheikh Khalid: “It’s a new challenge outside the UAE and the aim is to gain experience”

ABU DHABI (UAE), September 22, 2016 – Sheikh Khalid Bin Faisal Al Qassimi is looking forward to a new challenge when he participates in the penultimate round of the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallies, Rally OiLibya of Morocco. Placed under the High Patronage of His Majesty the King Mohammed VI, the 17th edition of the OiLibya Rally of Morocco will be held from the 1st to the 7th of October 2016.

Sheikh Khalid, who will be co-driven by Frenchman Xavier Panseri, will be behind the wheel of the Dakar 2016 and Silk Way Rally 2016 winner, the rear-wheel drive Peugeot 2008 DKR.

Khalid bin Faisal will be focusing on gaining as much experience as possible in cross country rallying, which typically run over thousands of kilometers.

Sheikh Khalid Bin Faisal said: “This is a new challenge for me and I like to challenge my limits. The aim is to get more experience in this format of rallying.

“Apart from participating in Rally Morocco for the first time, the challenge will be getting used to the 2008 DKR as quick as possible; it needs a special driving style as we are talking here about a rear wheel drive monster not a 4X4 rally car. I’ve had the chance to test drive it in France a couple of months ago but testing is totally different than competitive environment. We hope for the best and to benefit from the new experience!”

The Rally Morocco is staged over five competitive days covering a distance of approximately 1882 km that requires the driver and his navigator to be in top physical condition.

With over 300 competitors and nearly 1,000 participants from the world over in the two-wheel and four-wheel categories, it is going to be a tough five days of racing for the UAE star and his French navigator.

spalind

I leave for the event on Wednesday of this week, finished up an interview with Bryce's codriver, Peter Mortenesen who is going to the event as well, this weekend and should be up here on RDC today I think. First time for me at one of these races, no idea what to expect in terms of how much info I'll be able to relay back here. Likely you guys will know the results before I do...

spalind

Entry list is out!!

Two American/Mexicans on bikes!

Rickey Brabec and Ivan Ramirez will both be racing! So I will have some specific Americans to follow and try and hunt down!

ZequeArgentina

I leave for the event on Wednesday of this week, finished up an interview with Bryce's codriver, Peter Mortenesen who is going to the event as well, this weekend and should be up here on RDC today I think. First time for me at one of these races, no idea what to expect in terms of how much info I'll be able to relay back here. Likely you guys will know the results before I do...
Wow, good coverage for the "inside the race" stories!!!
Have a nice race.
I have followed Dakar here in Argentina, but I have no idea how to deal with Moroccan tracks for follow up.

Entry list has been released, main entries are:

Peugeot with the new 3008 for:
Sainz
Despres

PH Sport with last year Peugeots 2008 for
Khalid Al Quassami
Harry Hunt

Overdrive with the 4x4 Hilux for:
Nasser
Roma
Van Loon
Chabot
Saled Khalifa l Attiyah

X Raid with Mini´s for
Hirvonen
Yazeed Al Rajhi
Terranova
Prigonsky
Vasilyev
Garafulic
Abu Issa

Others:
Zapletal with his Hummer with Msutang V8 engine
Serradori and Sireyjol with the LCR30
Several driver with MD Buggies, led by Jerome Pellichet
Several Predators/Buggafrique
Christian Laveille will run the stock (T2) Land Cruiser from Toyota Autobody

spalind

I am not a professional photographer (nor much of a professional anything) but will do my best to cover as many aspects as I can...Forgive me now for a few extra shots of the few Nissans involved....

ZequeArgentina

SouthRacing will service a Nissan Navarra for German Shroeder.
And Jerome Pellichet will run a Patrol by MD RallyeSport.
MD Sport has some buggies with Nissan engines as well, but Nissan´s are no so popular nowadays

spalind

SouthRacing will service a Nissan Navarra for German Shroeder.
And Jerome Pellichet will run a Patrol by MD RallyeSport.
MD Sport has some buggies with Nissan engines as well, but Nissan´s are no so popular nowadays
Schroeder is the one I want to follow the most...one of the V8 Nissan's from South Africa...They churn them out all the time...kinda like the poor-man's version of HallSpeed...Schroeder was doing really well in the Silk Way Rally until the last stage or two and he has a good deal of Dakar experience as well at this point. I expect him to do well.

spalind

Sitting at JFK for now...flight out isn't till 8:30pm and the air Morocco counter doesn't even open till 3...JFK may not be Denver or Detroit (two really nice airports in the US) but if this is the third world according to Trump...the world isn't so bad off...

Short Bus

Have a good time. I'm excited to here about your experience. I have a new passport and have ideas in my head about trips to see an FIA event some time.