Rally Roadbook Navigation Training - DVR

Hog Wild

Reaction
Once again we are pulling together a bunch of hardcore rally nuts to have some fun in the desert practicing our roadbook navigation skills, and hanging out with an elite group of Dakar veterans. This year we’ve created three new challenging routes totaling 600 miles. This will be a three day deal, following a new roadbook each day. No racing, go at your own pace. The roadbooks are identical in format to those used in Dakar. Terrain and navigation wise, one day here will be a lot like one day of Dakar.

The terrain is varied, mostly dirt roads, minimal torn up stuff, from near sea level to over 8000ft. There are also a few short sections of connecting pavement. All vehicles must be street licensed and have an adjustable odometer. Bikes must also have a 6" roadbook holder (cheap one is $70). All must have a digital compass or a GPS that displays heading. The location is between Baker, CA and Pahrump, NV. We haven’t picked a final bivouac spot yet, but it will be somewhere in that region. The date will likely be in October.

This is mostly a bike thing, but we welcome “cars” as well. I can make special adjustments to the roadbooks to skip the sections that aren’t suited for cars. One Dakar car veteran has already said he’s coming.

This is open to all who are going to Dakar or a similar marathon rally event, and those who intend to do so in the future. Our goal here, besides just having fun, is to help prepare rally participants from North American for the challenges of events such as Dakar. Every American, Canadian, and Mexican who has competed in Dakar on a bike in the last 5 years, and several of the car guys, have attended this event. We expect Jonah Street will attend again this year, as he has for the past several years. There are probably 15 others attending who have either raced in Dakar or been crew members in Dakar. So, if you want to learn from and hang out with people who have been there, THIS is the place to do it!

If you’re interested, send me a PM explaining who you are and why you’d like to attend.

Photos from past years:

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
Greetings from Egypt !!

It is really nice what you are doing over there, looks like the FIA ( french) style roadbook. I was responsible for making & writing the roadbook for the last two rallies here the "Egypt rally cup" & "Egypt desert challenge" We also did it using the FIA format & indications to prepare the racers for the big rally in october (Pharaons International Rally) www.jvd.it

Just sent you a PM

Great Job

Hog Wild

Reaction
It is really nice what you are doing over there
Since we have no marathon rally races in North America, this training is the only chance Americans have to learn how it all works and get some practice without the expense of traveling abroad.

looks like the FIA ( french) style roadbook. I was responsible for making & writing the roadbook for the last two rallies here the "Egypt rally cup" & "Egypt desert challenge" We also did it using the FIA format & indications to prepare the racers for the big rally in october (Pharaons International Rally)
I do my best to duplicate the standard format, while adding a few things to help those who haven't used this type of roadbook before. I now have about 3000 miles (4800km) of routes in California, Arizona, Nevada, and a little bit in Mexico, all documented in these roadbooks.

I wish I could get over there and do one of your rallies. We've been practicing!

FullsizeFun

Reaction
Looking good Scott! I would love to tag along just to log some miles. I dont plan on racing Dakar, but would love the experience. What kind of Fuel range is needed for this ride? Do you have a set date yet?

Hog Wild

Reaction
Looking good Scott! I would love to tag along just to log some miles. I dont plan on racing Dakar, but would love the experience. What kind of Fuel range is needed for this ride? Do you have a set date yet?
Each route is different for mileage between gas stops. If you have a crew who can bring gas cans to an intermediate point, then you can generally get away with something like 85 mile range. If you have no crew, then something closer to 130 mile range is often required. Your off-road vehicle must also be street legal (plated). Cars can get away with only a rally type odometer and a GPS since their roadbook is held by hand (co-driver). Bikes must have the special 6 inch wide roadbook holder, plus rally odometer, plus GPS. Were you thinking 2 wheels, 3 wheels, or 4? Call me for the other details.

Hog Wild

Reaction
Here's a vid from our recent prerun to validate the roadbooks: VIDEO
Reading the roadbook while going fast can be a problem! This is a narrow section the cars would bypass.

Hog Wild

Reaction
The date is approaching for the training weekend. If you haven't got on the list, you're going to miss out! I've captured GE aerial views of sections along all three of the routes we'll follow, and put them together in this video. There are also snapshots of the fun from previous years. The terrain we’ll cover is simply amazing! If a marathon rally is in your future, this training should be too. Enjoy!

9 megabyte WMV video

Oscar Fazz

Reaction
okay, okay...so i am interested and would like to check it out... Oscar Fazz 47 years of age been racing score for the last 7 years and had some success and had a 95 % completion rate... been riding my whole life in Mexico and just starting racing score 7 years ago to date... raced in the states with wiplash series, Bitd in a 16 car which is a 10 car for 2 years... taken lots of second places never a first and love racing and the two wheel animal...interested in checking it out....

Hog Wild

Reaction
okay, okay...so i am interested and would like to check it out...
Your timing is excellent, here's the golden plan... Enter to race in the Cortez Rally, which has two days just over the boarder from you, outside San Luis Rio Colorado, and one day crossing Baja. See the two threads here about Cortez Rally and/or Cortez Challenge:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/cortez-challenge.120483/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021996&page=4
Once you are entered, let me know and I'll send you a couple of FREE training roadbooks as described in this thread. They are only free to those entered in Cortez Rally, otherwise they are tough to get. Go practice and learn with those training roadbooks before Cortez, then you'll be ready to take on Cortez with the navigation knowledge you'll need!

Oh, and everyone who enters Cortez Rally gets an exclusive invite to join me on our next Grand Rally fun ride:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695886

That's a lot of bang for the buck, and a hell of a lot of fun too!