Rally still possible?

bfiguy

Reaction
With all the devastation in mid Baja; will we still be able to run the Norra 1000?
Hotels out of power, roads blocked, no phone system except possibly Sat phones I am wondering if it's gonna work. Any news from Perlman people?
I really want to go; hell I'll stack rocks if I have to to get past down bridges. Crossing my fingers....No Scallop tacos in Sta Rosalia ?????

Broncodawg

Reaction
Sounds like Loreto, Mulege and Santa Rosalia got hit hard and that would leave a pretty long stretch with no services. If the NORRA 1000 does go anyway, sure hope every square inch of extra space in chase vehicles is loaded with relief supplies.

Would it also be seen as pretty arrogant to race thru there with so many people in need? Maybe not if enough relief supplies are being flown in by the Baja Bush pilots and people are back on their feet.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Lots going on, thanks to the ingenuinety of the Mexican people. Take a look at what happened in Mulege today:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41361

Hwy 1 is completely passable from San Ignacio to La Paz, but with some detours around fallen bridges and washouts. CFE (the Baja power company) has generators running in all communities. They've learned from the past.

NORRA can hit a home run if the race does not tax local resources; but rather HELPS them. Every chase and support truck can haul a bunch of relief supplies. Every truck can carry fuel without using scarce local resources.

I'm ready to go. I've made room in my truck for whatever I can take to San Ignacio, Sta Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, Insurgentes, and Cd Constitucion. Waiting for Baja Bush Pilots to announce U.S. pick-up points for relief supplies.

I am sorry for the loss of property for Americans who had part-time or seasonal homes down there. However, the relief effort is aimed at the Mexican locals who truly need the help. That's where the effort is directed.

BigBro

Reaction
Sounds like Loreto, Mulege and Santa Rosalia got hit hard and that would leave a pretty long stretch with no services. If the NORRA 1000 does go anyway, sure hope every square inch of extra space in chase vehicles is loaded with relief supplies.

Would it also be seen as pretty arrogant to race thru there with so many people in need? Maybe not if enough relief supplies are being flown in by the Baja Bush pilots and people are back on their feet.
Everyone hurry and sell all race trucks, homes and personal items and donate everything. Maybe resume racing in the future after everyone is well positioned. :eek: