RallySchool / RallyCross

TimHayosh

It's that time of year again. The California Rally Series is sponsoring their SCCA-approved rally school Feb 22. It's a great opportunity to learn some of the more intricate elements of American Rally. Timing, scoring, car control, etc. There is a drivers section which will emphasize in-car technique taught by Pro-Rally drivers. And, there is a co-drivers section that goes into more detail of the TerrTrip computer as well as in-car practice using a routebook and the TerraTrip. I took the drivers section last year, I'm going back for the co-drivers. I highly recommend this school if you have an interest in rallying. It also makes getting your SCCA license a no-brainer.

It is held at a hotel in Ridgecrest. It was packed last year, better <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.californiarallyseries.com/crspro.htm>sign-up now!</A>

The next day, you'll get a chance to see what you learned. They have a CRS rally cross on Sunday the 23rd. There will be several "real" rally cars there as well as guys like me in the Hertz/Avis/Enterprise "Specials".

Happy motoring, Tim

Marshall

We did it last Feb. and learned so much in such a short time. I think our first rally would have been a nightmare with out the corse. Its allways a good time when racing is involved. I would recomend it to anyone interested in rally even if you just watch it on TV you will realize what is really going on. Marshall

curt

Patty has been really interested in trying the school to see if she can learn anything that might apply to her stadium and shortcourse racing....Will they let her run her 7 truck? I didn't see any rules as to what would be permissable to run/race...Thx, Curt

VORRA Class 7

TimHayosh

A good question. Rally is pretty much all about street licensed vehicles. They might let her though. Email Ray Hocker at: Ray@rallyusa.com to be sure.

Happy motoring, Tim

Chris_Wilson

Where can you rent something with hp and all wheel drive (WRX, Evo, 911 turbo, etc.)
just to play with for the school?

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Hey Chris, Like I was telling Jerry and Tim on the Evo 7 thread Cascade Autosport in North Bend WA. has an Evo for rent....I think they will truck it on down for you......Anything for a price$$$$ check it out at www.cascadeautosport.com

Start drinking till you see double and act single

curt

Thanks Tim, I emailed Ray and he said we could use anything for the school and rallycross. Patty is really looking forward to getting some professional advice on her driving style and I can't wait to see her drift the hairpins on the shortcourse instead of steering through them...Curt

VORRA Class 7

Marshall

The class is more of an overview of how a rally is run. The actual driver training is very minimal. They kinda have to run you through like cattle. There was 80 entrents at the Ridigecrest school last year. You just can't except too much one on one with numbers that high. An actual driving school would cost a bit more Im sure. Just FYI, Marshall

TimHayosh

I quite agree with Marshall. Most of the time you're driving in a circle of some sort. They get you used to the back-end getting loose, maybe some handbrake induced oversteer, and if you do well with that, a brief intro to left foot braking. Not much more. Only a couple of hours in the car. In spite of the limited time in-car, it was well worth it for me. I didn't see the rallycross course last year. Looking forward to doing it this year.

BTW: One doesn't need a high HP AWD car to have fun. I used to think so, but driving rental FWD cars really fast is just as challenging.

Happy motoring, Tim

Chris_Wilson

Sounds like it would be a waste to rent something fast then.

Chris_Wilson

I plan to do this. I don't like front wheel drive and I think it would feel too foriegn
from the class 8 trucks I'm used to. But I should keep an open mind.
What rent-a-car should I get for the Rally Cross? Auto or stick?
Would I damage the paint if I brought my M3 up?

TimHayosh

If you can find a manual transmission to rent, please let me know. I have never been able to find one. Last year (for the school) I used a Chevy Cavalier. My instructor said that my Cav was faster than some of the Subes. A FWD A/T car can get the job done. Remember, a RallyCross is all 1st maybe some 2nd gear. There are no straights to gain speed. Being able to throw the car around is the key (I think). Don't forget the duct tape.

I'm gonna try to get a Lancer or Cavalier or something small like that. Anyone know if Avis is renting Peugeot 206's? haha.

The M3 would be safe. That would be fun to see stirring up the dust! Imagine doing donuts in a dirt parking lot. That's the damage you would do to the car.

Happy motoring, Tim

CoiloverKid

I'll be there, along with teh rest of the gravelcrew. the school filled up too fast, so it's just the event for me....anyone have course notes? lol. cant wait to try out my ABS disengage switch.

hey KLAUS you didnt put my car in readerz ridez!!!!!11

-- Keep it sideways--

CoiloverKid

tough break out there tim, you were charging it!! sorry to see that tire fly off the bead. that bump was gnarly, scared me every time after. .. . i had a blast, though!!

-- Keep it sideways--<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CoiloverKid on 02/25/03 00:28 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

TimHayosh

Yeah, damn rental cars! Same tire left the rim at school the day before. Charged up to 45psi, but the course was just too rutted...dang Subarus!

Anyone notice that two of the top three times on the first leg were 2WD? Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's fast!

Mr. Coilover...who are you?!?!?!?!?! Why didn't you introduce your self?

I was very glad to hear they announced a total of 14 rally cross events for '03! I'm gonna try to make most of 'em. It would be great to see some more RDC people there! Get your mom's hatch back and go racing!!!

Happy motoring, Tim

TimHayosh

I just wanted to put a word out there about participating in rallycross...

1.) You do NOT need a "proper" race car. A street car is all that is needed. No cage, special belts, fuel cell, or anything like that is required. Your mom's hatchback is ready!

2.) I use rental cars exclusively! I'm talkin' generic, off-the-lot Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, whatever. Rallycrosses have a 2 wheel drive, street stock class. That's where you enter your rental. It's up to you how much you punish it. I was able to be competitive in a 4 door chevy cavalier (until the tire thing).

3.) A manual transmission is not required. It's prefered, but not required. I've never had the luck to find one for rent.

4.) Do NOT rent a convertable. That's about the only thing NOT legal.

5.) The above is true only of a Rallycross and not a rallysprint.

6.) I posted the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.timthedriver.com/2003_rallycross_schedule.htm>2003 rallycross schedule on my website</A>. It's unofficial. Go to www.californiarallyseries.com for the official word.

7.) Just show up in a car and have fun!

Happy motoring, Tim

CoiloverKid

i was the guy with teh silver subaru with the lightpods. me and the rest of gravelcrew were there, and i saw scott and sean stop out on the course to see that you were alright...i was trying to find you and some time to say hello, but couldnt. and by the time i'm like "where's tim" you were driving away on your spare... lol. i guess i'll see you in corona!

-- Keep it sideways--

TimHayosh

Indeed! Gonna try for Tombstone. There's also one in Vegas Mar 8. See you in Corona!

Happy motoring, Tim

Billy_the_Kid

How much does a school like this cost?

And rental cars, are you serious? What happens if you break something? Do you get insurance for that or something. I'll have to check and see if they have anything like this in my area.

Bill Schmitt

TimHayosh

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

How much does a school like this cost?

<hr></blockquote>

$75. Remember this is not a driving school. This is a "how to rally" school. At the end of the day they take you to a dirt lot and teach some things about cornering and car control. A real rally driving school is like $2000, but they really teach you how to control the car. There's only a few in the US. There is another CRS rally school in September. Go to www.californiarallyseries.com for more info.

And rental cars, are you serious?

<hr></blockquote>

Oh yes!

What happens if you break something? Do you get insurance for that or something.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes.

I'll have to check and see if they have anything like this in my area.

<hr></blockquote>

What area are you in? The SCCA has divisions and events all over the country. Go to SCCA.org for more details.

Happy motoring, Tim