Random Intake Question

Ryan562

So before I got my truck recently, I always had imports. Now I know that a great air intake system on cars is to have the filter tucked into the fender so that you're sucking up the outside air, unlike the "short ram" system which sits in your bay, and ultimately your car is inhaling all the hott air the engine is producing.

QUESTION IS.......do any truck owners actually use the same setup and tuck the filter in it's fender, or is that just stupid on a truck??? I looked around, and didn't see any trucks with that type of set-up. But thought it was worth asking :p

crazyeye

Yes that's a stupid place to put your filter. On a car or truck.

Ryan562

Lol, how's it stupid? There's a shield you get to protect from debris, and I live in So Cal so 90% of the year there's barely any moisture being absorbed. And it allows for cooler air to be inhaled compared to an engine bay.

JDDurfey

I would think that the benefit of "cold" air is less effective than keeping out all the extra dust that might be sucked into a filter in that position. And, unless it is very well protected, a damaged filter housing can result in a blown motor. I personally would rather sacrifice a small amount of performance and try to keep cleaner air and keep the integrity of my air box and intake tube in place.

but then again, I am no body important.

Ryan562

Never noticed them getting dirty too quickly on my cars. But than again, they never went into the desert or dirt like a lot of trucks do. So yea, that definitely makes sense. lol

JDDurfey

If you look at a number of Jeepspeed guys you will see they put the air box inside the cab of the Cherokee.

There is a huge difference between street and casual off road driving and the dust incurred during a race. On my dirt bike I could ride several days in Baja during pre-running and never touch the air filter, but during the race, we wouldn't even race the whole Baja 500 on the same filter. The performance goes way down on a clogged filter and you don't want to risk sucking in dirt through the filter and blowing an engine.

Slippery P

If this is a daily driver just run the stock air box. A performance gain will be minimal if any, you likely will not notice anything other than hearing the thing sucking air. If you opt to run a K&N type filter that needs to be oiled you will likely have Mass Air Flow sensor issues due to the oil blowing onto the MAF and contaminating it. If it's that important for you to run one go for it, there are always guys like me waiting to make money off your check engine light.

Oh, the "cold air" is no longer cold once it travels down the hot intake tube to the throttle body.