Ranger beams

fathead1

Reaction
O.K., I'm the new guy, so don't give me a hard time if this has been discussed before.
Is it practicle to extend my bent beams on my Ranger. i've looked through the threads and didn't see this one. Is it as easy as cutting at a certain point and extending them about 4" and relocating the
other stuff ( radius arm and coil mounts )

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you have the older style forged beams you can cut and extend them otherwise no. If the bemas are already bent then you just cut it after the coil hole and exted between that and the spindle mount...if you dont have them bent then you have to build the camber and caster into the extension piece which makes it a bit tougher but can be done.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Or you could just buy some beams that are already done and save yourself the headache..............

See ya in the dirt!

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I have always wondered, how do you determine the older fordged beam vs the cast beams?

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
The older beams 89' and earlier look physically smaller, have a smoother finish to them,more rounded corners. They also have the ball joints pressed in the beam, where as later post 89' have eccentric cams on the beam and the ball joints on the spindle.

I personally have cut and widened my beams 4-1/2" from the radius arm bolt out,gives great clearance for rubbing tires. Haven't had one problem since I did it in 96. They are now on my 97' ranger (swapped spindles)with straight radius arms and tires barely rub on them.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
We are going to stock these beams in the next few weeks. They will be the same dimensions as our late model custom beams. I will post some pictures when they are done.

fathead1

Reaction
Craig;
Did you change your beams to the pre-89 style? Can you send pictures? Also, I have Camburg Radius arms, and stock coils buckets. what needs to be changed as far as those and the shock mounting locations. The reason I'm thinking about extending instead of buying is because welding rod and scrap metal is much less expensive than new beams.

Jerry, how much do you think the new beams will be?

One more thing, MOTOXSCOTT told me I should ask you guys what is the best shocks to buy?
Just kidding, just kidding.
Thanks again for the help

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
PICTURE ONE

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
PIC #2

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Uhhhhhhh.........I hope when you say welding rod, you are talking TIG welding right? You better not be thinking about stick welding it, even if it will be a mild prerunner.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
If you extend outside of the radius arm bolt/connection you don't have to modify your coil bucket. I would just make a custom mount/hoop for the shock in this case. Also, I have heard that extending the beams from outside the rad. arm connection is a bad idea due to the extra leverage (length) on the radius arm. Is this true (maybe Jerry or one of the engineer types could answer this)? If I were to extend the beams from this point I personally would plate the entire beam. Just cutting and then adding 4" w/ no reinforcing or plating seems like it would be mighty weak.
The other way to go about this is the way Perry McNeil and some other do it. This way is to extend the beams at the mounting end (the end that connects to the frame/x-mem). Doing this will make you redo you coil buckets, or run coilovers though. Plus you will still have the problem w/ wheel rub on your rad. arms (VERY common on rangers).
I had thought about extending some beams before my current frankentruck idea (mid engine - well, almost - 14-16" back from stock location, J-arm, 3-linked 89 ranger), and I had planned on exetending the beams 2" by the mount and putting heims on the end of the beams, and then another 2-2 1/2" out past the radius arms to help w/ the tire rub problem. I was then gonna plate the whole thing w/ chromo. Just an idea. Steve

AZmiik

Reaction
Elcap what would be wrong with stick welding in this application. With the proper electrode selection I would say SMAW would be almost as fast as Mig and probably slightly cheaper. You need to remember that anytime you are doing something over 1/8" there is probably a better way than TIG.

Mike

fathead1

Reaction
not to worry, the guy that owns the class 1 car that I help chase for has a full fab shop. he'll know what to do once we start cutting. Just needed to know where to cut. does anyone have some pre 89
beams for sale??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
How much you want to pay? I dont have a pair "for sale" but everything has a price!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

1992f150

Reaction
I agree with AZmilk, SMAW would work well for extending beams, probably better than any other way besides a big fluxcore wire. Make sure you align it and clamp it well so it doesnt warp.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Well, I guess you guys are right, I know it would damn hard to TIG it, but I would think MIGing it would work better and be stronger. I guess it is just my grudge for stick welding, I hate it! I have to do it in my welding class and I can never get it, but for a beginner, I am awesome on a MIG. Plus I always thought stick welding in building off-road stuff or any kind of automobile stuff it was a big NO-NO. Plus I just think it looks like shiaat. I would never stick weld anything on an off-road vehicle or any type of vehicle for that matter if it is custom, but that is just me.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
at one of our races in san jacinto some dude in a jeep had a decent looking cage from a far, come to find out when he went to test it out, it did not hold up and one of the pillars came apart and he went to the hospital. After I inspected the car, it was all made from exhaust tubing and stick welded, the welds were no bigger than a tig bead, and with the powder coat, don't ask why, you could hardly tell from a distance. When he was being loaded in the meat wagon someone cracked a joke and said that he should beat the builders a$$, only to find out it was him.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.