ranger cant start

singlehanded

Reaction
Got my c4 all done on my 94 ranger but it wont start? It was a manual and is now an auto anyone ever swapped this and know what to do to get it started?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Tyson

Reaction
Well what is it doing when you turn the key?

Did you check the starter fuse?
Make sure the block was grounded correctly?
Check the battery cables after installing the new transmission (assuming you pulled the ground wire)
It will usually end up being something small that you'll kick yourself for later. . .hopefully anyway.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
My Ford that had the manual transmission had a safety switch that forced you to push in the clutch before it would allow you to start the motor. Did your truck have one? Did you remove this or is it still there?

singlehanded

Reaction
when I turn the key nothing. i tied the nuetral safety wires together also. I have the wire from behind clutch, out and dissconnocted is there something else that has to do with the clutch?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Try to jump it at the solenoid...then you know if the safety switch is the problem. Get a screwdriver and short circuit the the solenoid and it should turn over no matter what...be sure you are in park or neutral too so you dont get run over!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

92Ranger

Reaction
jump the pink wire to the i believe the black wire on the clutch switch, or you can just ground the pink wire.

dezertchick

Reaction
Do what I did when my Ranger started acting up, I brought a Bronco. Parked the Ranger in the garage.

singlehanded

Reaction
Wish it was something easy but the starter is fine but its not turning over the engine. So the teeth are not meshing with the flexplate.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
did you put the right flexplate in? did you use the right spacer? I might have the flex plate for that if you dont have it in there now. So the actual starter spins but doesnt engage?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

singlehanded

Reaction
it should be the right flexplate and spacer. The guy I bought it from had it in a 92 with a 4.o ranger. Ya I am pretty sure it spinning but not engaging. I took the starter off and tested with jumper cables and my battery and it spun good. I e-mailed the guy I bought it from maybe he used a different starter? any other ideas kris?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Make sure it is spinning by just listening for it. If it is definitly spinning check to see how good it lines up in there..make sure it is not grossly misaligned...if it is then fix that and it should crank. The starter we use is from a pinto...cant recall the year...I am not sure if the Ranger starter will work or not.

If you still have trouble talk with Ryan at TCS or Steve Culhane.

Kris

singlehanded

Reaction
It is spinning.Do you know a way to check to see if the sensor thing is pushing the starter gears out? I dont know how it could be aligned better the two bolts are going thru the holes dont think there is much play if any to move it or the bolts wont go in the holes.