Ranger crewcab trailing arm shock mounts

FabioP

Reaction
I need suggestions on where to mount the coilovers and bypasses. I will be building a prerunner kind of Ranger but it'll be crew cab (very common in Brazil). I am having a hard time figuring out where I could mount the shocks. There is just not much room between the cab and the rear axle (don't want to change wheelbase). I want to get about 24-30 inches of wheel travel. I don't have the shocks yet, but plan on using 18" coilovers and 16" bypasses.

Here's a pic for reference

TauMau

Reaction
With that type of application many people are forced to mount the shocks inside the cab. Why don't you want to change the wheelbase? I checked online and it looks like you should be at 118" w/b right now.

FabioP

Reaction
I am just afraid of it being WAY too long. What if I use the bed of a extended cab? That may be a good option.

Actually, the wheel base is already 125in.

baja619

Reaction
Shock mounts inside the cab / caged / and closed in. Convert your rear door to a suicide opening.

FabioP

Reaction
I kinda wanted to keep the rear intact just in case I had to carry a third person in it.

Kinda asking too much huh?

Giant Geoff

Reaction
No way, I think having 4 seats would be great.

King will make you a 30” travel shock no problem to make the link work. The only problem is, the closer you get the shock the axle the worst it works in the desert. All the time and money you would have to put into the link and it still only works like a good spring kit that cost a 1/4 of the link cost.

Do the 64” like they do on the Sport Trac?

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
No way, I think having 4 seats would be great.

King will make you a 30” travel shock no problem to make the link work. The only problem is, the closer you get the shock the axle the worst it works in the desert. All the time and money you would have to put into the link and it still only works like a good spring kit that cost a 1/4 of the link cost.

Do the 64” like they do on the Sport Trac?

Hey Geoff, I've never understood this:

All leaf spring trucks have about a 1:1 ratio on shock travel to wheel travel (shock is mount to axle with a slight forward tilt).

Most linked trucks have about a 2:1 ratio on the axle to shock travel.

Both can work very well... so why can't a four link work with a 1:1 shock on the axle?

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
I need suggestions on where to mount the coilovers and bypasses. I will be building a prerunner kind of Ranger but it'll be crew cab (very common in Brazil). I am having a hard time figuring out where I could mount the shocks. There is just not much room between the cab and the rear axle (don't want to change wheelbase). I want to get about 24-30 inches of wheel travel. I don't have the shocks yet, but plan on using 18" coilovers and 16" bypasses.

What are you going to do to the front to keep up with 24"-30" of travel? I'd think that a good leaf/bypass setup on the rear would preform more than well enough to work the the kits available for the front of it. Is this going to be driven on the street? If so I'd think you would be limiting it to 20" of rear travel so it's not too spooky.

If your set on a three/four link do a "mezzanine" or "Hemet" arm. Mark Newhan is the man!

See this thread: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36592

Last edited:

FabioP

Reaction
What are you going to do to the front to keep up with 24"-30" of travel? I'd think that a good leaf/bypass setup on the rear would preform more than well enough to work the the kits available for the front of it. Is this going to be driven on the street? If so I'd think you would be limiting it to 20" of rear travel so it's not too spooky.

If your set on a three/four link do a "mezzanine" or "Hemet" arm. Mark Newhan is the man!

See this thread: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36592

The front my goal is 18-20" of travel.

Mezzanine is always an option. More moving parts though.

Giant Geoff

Reaction

All leaf spring trucks have about a 1:1 ratio on shock travel to wheel travel (shock is mount to axle with a slight forward tilt).

Both can work very well... so why can't a four link work with a 1:1 shock on the axle?

I view things in a speed to dollar/labor ratio. If a high travel spring kit can go 60mph over 4’ holes for $5,000. and an link off the axle can go 63mph over the same holes for $20,000. then I would decide witch way I build my truck.
Building these things takes to long as it is so I have learned if "by doing something to the car" it must give me the highest performance gain for my dollar, or if it cost a lot for bad performance then I rethink what I’m doing. If I cut the build time and have the same speed as a car that cost 3 times more? Then that’s a feather in my cap.

FabioP
"I don't understand. Leaf springs?" Quote

The springs we are doing today have a very high performance level and we have won several races against 20 or more linked trucks each race. If you build the truck you posted, you can use the stock axle, driveline and gas tank with my spring and run fast with little cost; if you link the truck, everything from the cab back has to change and you will spend a ton of time and money to only go a hair faster.

1450-ranger

Reaction

There simply isnt enough energy in the springs to make the truck work, even with ZERO rebound damping. The truck will pack and your truck will work like poo.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction

Here's a pic for reference

If your set on wanting to run a link set-up, the only truck that comes to mind is Perry McNeil's Sport Trac pre-runner. He has the bypass and the coilover outside the cab and mounted at a slight angle towards the rear of the truck. The only photo I could find is this pic captured from a video.

Personally, if this truck is going to be a DD, I would rather have the shocks mounted outside the cab so you wouldn't have to listen to the constant clicking from the bypasses.

Andrew

Reaction
I'm running into the same problem trying to build a crewcab f-150. I want it link'd, but I also want the shocks outside of the cab and 4 fully functional adult seats (cuz let's face it, it's WAY more fun with more people). I've come to the conclusion that a cantilever or mezzanine rear is the only way I'll be able to get a fully functioning link'd rear.

Here's a link to my thread... http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69909

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go! I definitely want to see a build thread on that 4 door