Ranger leaf spring question

JBO

Reaction
I was wondering, what would the difference be between running a set of deavers VS. a longer set of deavers, that need a longer shackle...

I'm sure the regular ones ride nice, so how much better are the longer ones? or is it just more travel? or what? I'm thinking of running a set of deavers with a 2 link set up or something...

thanks, Jaron

singlehanded

Reaction
It would be a lot easier to just run stock length, flip stock hanger and get a camburg shackle. You can get like18-19 inches with that. Thats what I am running with some king bypasses no complaints here. And to get more travel you could fabb up a new hanger that would let the shackle drop more, I think thats what hit when cycleing my rear?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
OK I have never really investigated fliped shackles, what does the finished product look like. I asked a friend one time and they said it was rotating the shackle 180 deg, but others say the mount was rotated only 90 so it could fall more, some one fill me in?

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

slimjim

Reaction
the flipped shackle is like 180 degrees different. the stock arrangement has the top of the shackle attached to the shackle hanger (which is attached to the chassis), and the shackle hangs down. the leaf spring attaches to the bottom of the shackle.
with a shackle flip setup, the bottom of the shackle attaches to the hanger, and the leaf spring attaches to the top of the shackle.
you can use a spring with more arch, and keep the same up travel and ride height. you gain down-travel because when the spring is at full droop, the shackle can still move down.
longer shackles, with just the right angle bend can help maximize travel. if you have a ranger, and flip the shackles, the stock ones just barely clear the underside of the bed. so if you use longer shackles (flipped) you need to either ditch the bed, or cut holes for them to clear. flipped shackles are the only way to go on a leaf spring ranger imho.
you can do it yourself. torch out the rivets that hold the hanger. drill the holes out clean. use the right (pass) side hanger on the left side of the chassis, and vice-versa on the other side. use good hardware to re-assemble.

put on your seatbelt...

jarreptolson

Reaction
i have the deavers that are the stock length and love them, really good ride and corner better than the stockers. The deavers have a front eye wrap and i dont think that the 2 link is totally worth the time and effort. I have had the thing in 4x4 low range 1st gear climbing some pretty tough hills (have a few too many jeep buddies) and can't notice the leafs wrapping, and i have looked at a lot of video and dont see any signs of it wrapping. The only thing i dislike (very minor) is the added squeaks from the springs, every once in awhile you need to pull them off to give them a good cleaning and lube. Go with the stock length and get the extended shackle, you wont regret it

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I may be wrong(Erik can correct me) but the Deavers should all be the same lenght for the ranger. The difference is arch and number of springs. The prerunner pack or now called long travel pack is 7 leaves and the race pack is 11. The prerunner pack requires a flipped shackle(not sure if it needs to be lengthened) and will get up to 14", the race pack will yield 18" with a stock flipped shackle. I think the race pack is a better bet for most prerunners because with the extra leafs you can tune it in yourself with a little know how, to accomodate for spares, bed boxes, cage, fuel cell etc... instead of having an off the shelf item that is designed for most prerunner rangers without a cell, bumper, spare, etc... and is useless if you go to too much weight in the rear or need to carry a decent size load, also with the smaller number of leaves....it is not safely tuneable. I have a race pack and run my truck fully loaded down often and never have a problem, whereas the prerunner pack is rated to max at 550 lbs. Deaver also can take your main leaf and work it into a decent pack and that used to be their old "prerunner" pack. I just dont see why people would buy a prerunner pack and a custom shackle for X amount of dollars when they can buy a race pack and run factory parts with it for that same X amount of dollars if not less....I guess advertising is so good these days people jsut buy buy buy.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

JBO

Reaction
I'll have to see what Erik says, but If I can run a race pack with stock shackle flip, I'll do that...I'm chomping at the bit to start working on my ranger 4x4, I've got the funds freed up, I just wanna be confident about what I'm spending my money on...thanks for the tips.
Jaron

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I have a set of 9 leaf nationals on my 97' and I couldn't get the rear to droop out unless you stood on the rear end.I'm not sure what the standard eye to eye lenghth is, but on my truck and two friends rangers we moved the shackle mount back. Simply use the original rear holes for the front and drill new rear holes,you have to notch the rear under side of the bed, the shackle will swing back and hit the bed. As far as notching the stock mount for more travel be careful to not let the shackle swing down to far, it could bind on compression. bug the guys at kartek ,I made a new dropped hanger 1-1/2" lower so you could run a longer shackle and still be under the bed (no change in ride height).

I'm not positive but do you really need to swap hangers side to side. I thought they were symetrical?
some are all riveted others have rear bolts,drill out and use 7/16".

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Craig,
This is why we say you get around 16" of travel. The people who think they get 19" are counting when they stand on their axle and force it to droop.

As for the Deavers springs they make a standard length pack and a longer pack. The difference is that the long pack works with the Camburg shackle. When you add the longer shackle you change the angle. So Jeff and I came up with the longer spring. The longer spring will only work with a longer shackle. Don't buy the longer spring unless you run a longer shackle. The short spring works well for they guy who wants performance and the shocks under the bed 8-12" travel. The longer spring and shackle works well for the guy who wants to put shocks through the bed and achieve all the travel he can 15-16". If you try to force more travel your springs will not last as long.

drtdevil93

Reaction
we have 2 prerunner springs like jerry said, and then theres race springs.

the f31 prerunner spring needs the shackle mount to be flipped 180 degrees, but uses the stock shackle. you dont want to trim the mount to increase travel, if you go to far, it will try to make itself a non-flipped shackle. these give 15-16" of wheel travel.

the f23 prerunner spring also requires a flipped shackle mount, as well as a longer shackle (about an inch(the camburg one is perfect)). these give 17-18" of wheel travel.

the race spring is built custom to spec, they can give around 20" of wheel travel.

erik