Ranger parts on Explorers?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I have a 92" 2wd explorer that needs some legs. I have not found much for 2wd explorers. I know there is an abundance of used after market beams and arms ect. out there (I is po') and I was curious if the 2wd ranger suspension parts (beams mainly) would fit. I have heard that they will and will not. I am planning on keeping it simple, bent beams longer arms and maybe a different bucket. Thanks.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>

vwguy

i believe they are the same parts

its not speeding unless its a triple digit

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Explorer beams are a bit wider than Ranger beams?

TTEX

rdc

I imagine that they'd bolt right up. But! Rangers are narrower than Explorers! You could, in theory, mount up Ranger suspension components, but you would probably have some real troubles with rub. I've heard that some of the Ranger guys will go out and get Explorer beams (2wd or 4wd, depending on their application) and rear axles to increase their track width cheaply. I'll be that they need custom radius arms for that though.

David - No one of consequence.

John Bitting

Administrator
So could a 4x4 ranger owner mount up stock 4wd beams and axles from an explorer and have a 2" over per side cheap system.. That sounds like the way to go for ranger owners..

rdc

I think so. I don't have a Ranger, so I don't know too much about them; but in trying to find info on Explorers, you'll run into lots of Ranger stuff. Hell, I thought about ditching my Explorer for a Ranger or Bronco II so that it'd be easier to mod. On a side note, I learned something very interesting the other day. According to the webmaster of Explorer4x4.com, the 4-door Explorer has the same wheelbase length as a full-size Bronco. Maybe you could find a rolled Bronco with a ruined body but a solid frame and axles (or if you want 2wd, just a frame and suspension bits for a 2wd F150) and swap your Explorer body onto it.

David - No one of consequence.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

recently got a set of 2wd ranger beams and they are the same width. only differance i have seen is the inner pivot mount mounts to the frame differently and lower (closer to the frame) with the stock bend of the ranger beams I think i can get about 4" out of a set of stock beams. just gotta lengthen the arms

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
"DISCO FEVER"