ranger prerunner

boltonbros

Reaction
one of my buddies wants to build a truck. he has a 91 ranger and he only has about 4 to 5 grand to spend on it. I told him to go with leaf springs but i have no experience with them so any advice would be great. he wants to keep his bed and no rollcage, just something to have fun with. what kind of suspension could he get by with for this kind of money, any ideas on this subject?

Hang Loose

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I'd say a roll cage is pretty damn important if you plan on using it offroad at all. You never know when it will do it's job and save his life! But for $5k he can do some good work on that ranger. I'd say get a set of bent (or custom if he can afford um) beams. Eibach 5.5" coils, custom radius arms, 2.5" shocks and limit straps in the front. Then if he wants to keep the bed and not cut through it put a set of leafs w/ a shackle flip in the back and stuff a set of resivoired shocks (about 10" travel) in there. You can make a new upper shock mount and weld new lower shock mounts on the axle to make this easier. Add a set of tires, gears and a L/S in the rear and you'r set. If you got $$ left over you can buy fiber fenders for the front to gain a little more clearance. Pull the rear bedsides to clear larger tires in the rea and there you go - budget ranger build! This is one of many EASY and semi cheap ways to build a ranger that'll be fun in the dirt. There are many other ways and they all vary by how much $$ you have to spend and what you can do by yourselves to save $$. Check the linkz section on this site to see some of the MANY fab shops out there that can build rangers. Plus the classifieds on this site is GREAT for finding deals on used parts... Steve

Marshall

Reaction
Listen to SCR, spend money on the cage and build from there. I see tons on guys dump all there money on "travel". Not only will it save your life but your trucks aswell. I guess I consider "just playing" as alittle more serous than most. I like to Play hard.

boltonbros

Reaction
thank you for your reply it was very helpful. i will tell him he needs a cage and to save up. is there any other opinions?

Hang Loose

Tom_Willis

Reaction
look for a used prerunner. It's simple math. If you put bent beams, coil overs, new glass, a full cage, then Deavers, more shocks, trussed axle, yada yada yada, you don't get your money back when you sell it. Anybody who tells you they built a truck and sold it at a profit is either lying or very bad at math. For example, I have a Ford 9 inch with a tig'd truss, Currie axles, gears and limited slip, plus disc brakes, extra rotors, a boxed center tower with a monster heim for the upper link and wishbone. Over $3000. If it was posted on the classifieds, I'd get about 60 to 70 percent of it back. Just my advice, but save yourself a year of your life and buy something that's built already.

I live my life one paycheck at a time

Marshall

Reaction
look for used stuff aswell. You can get some great deals on RDC :) I hope I didnt sound discouraging in my post about the cage, just trying to help. I get a lot of satifaction out of building myself, plus I get to know my rig, if your friend isnt into getting dirty, I would say buy something used. but your still going to get dirty.

boltonbros

Reaction
does any one have some good pics of a ranger with long travel leafs in back and the shock hoops in the back with a bed still on the truck? i also heard that you are able to flare the stock bedsides how that done, i think i got a pretty good idea. don't you just unbolt any connections to the bed and put a jack in there and push it out that make braces to hold it out? i don't know cause i never did it but that my idea is there a different was of doing it? thanks for your replys

Hang Loose

boltonbros

Reaction
oh and when you bend you beams all you do is cut the beams after the differential and turn them a little and weld then back together with some braces right? and why would you even bother to bend them and not extend them or do you extend them? i kind of new at this so i have a lot of questions i do not have much to go off in hawaii. thanks for you help

Hang Loose

singlehanded

Reaction
If your talking long travel your gonna want to late the bed and get some glass. I thought the same thing when I started my prerunner keep the bed, but mine is gone and just got glass fenders. Or you can cut the fenders off your bed and mount them to a cage its cheaper. youll find that the bed will slam the cab if you do any major offroading, all the trucks at d-day with beds you would here a loud clunk when the hit the jumps. It also a lot easier to build and maintain and repair.just my opion thou.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight