• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Ranger rear housing

Dirtracer 619

What is a typical with for a ranger. Mine is about 62.5" and its more narrow than the front. So when its time to get a new floater how wide should i look for. And best route to go cost wise. I dont seem to do well with used parts so will have to be new, I know its kind of a vague question But just looking for ideas and suggestions
Thanks all

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Currie Enterprises has this posted on their website and it should help you determine the proper measurements you need when checking the width of a used rear housing.

Not knowing what your plans are for your truck, I can't offer suggestions on what the correct width should be.

Ordering- Currie Enterprises

Dirtracer 619

Race only in desert. Semi floater axels only last maybe 1500 miles before twisting them. Currently using currie axels. Which are not chrome molly. I dont think they make chrome molly. Which has me curious as to why. Maybe they would break before twisting? Should i look for some other axel that is chrome molly? Or stick with the currie ones.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

Kyle D

Currie does make chromoly axles. They are known as 300M. Their website shows them being gundrilled and cost is $21 per inch. If you’re tired of messing with axle shafts I would go this route with your new housing.

Dirtracer 619

I know about the 300m axels I called them today, they are for a floater axel only and I would go that way when i upgrade to a floater. ( not in my budget for the foreseeable future, thats an easy 4K)

For now i need to try and make this semi floater work, Was hoping someone can share there experience with other axels like strange, or moser or some other vendors

My thought is maybe chrome molly might be to brittle for this type of application and break instead of twisting

So if anyone has some ideas?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

Kyle D

You would be hard pressed to find any of the top teams that aren’t running 300M. I believe the issue with finding a 300M semi-floater axle is that semi floaters being expected to hold up to a brutal environment such as desert racing isn’t a common approach. The demand for those parts isn’t there so for a company to tool up for such a small market share just isn’t practical from a business stand point.

Dirtracer 619

Your right Kyle. The good parts go to the good rear ends. Mine is just a 9” that we trussed and then put in a 9+ 3rd member a spool and 35 spline currie axels.
About 275 hp at wheels on a 4600 lb truck. Just trying to make it work. We pull axels now each race and inspect for twisting When one starts to twist we replace them both

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert View attachment 190372

Kyle D

I’ve never been around their semi-float axles but a buddy of mine ran Dutchman full float axles in his trussed 35 spline 9 inch on 37s. It was over 350 to the tires and they lasted 2 full race seasons before a hub failure made one of them not reuasable. I would give them a call and see what they have to offer you. They were big heavy axles but they lasted.

DeRaRa

Try Dutchman. I had the same issue on my Bronco semi float axles would twist after a couple thousand miles I tried Dutchman 4340 axles and never had the issue again. I believe the 4340 is similar to 300m.