Ranger spindles

J_Dog

Anyone have any idea how much Baker Motorsports sells their Ranger spindles for? E-mailed them, but they have not e-mailed me back yet. Were looking to buy some better spindles than stock, as we keep breaking them. Any other suggestions? I read somewhere about Leduc 1-ton spindles, but could not find any info. They are for an 85 Ranger - 2wd. Thanks

Greg

What part of the spindal are you guys breaking? closer to the inner or outer bearing, where the snout is pressed into the casting, pulling the nut off the snout?

RRose

I am anxious to see his reply to your questions too, Greg.... those damn ranger spindals! I hate those things!

singlehanded

Just had mine tigged by imzz industries. But they havent seen any dirt yet and wont till I cage my truck from cab back this summer.

Greg

keep an eye on those welds, people weld there and dont realize the casting shrinks as the weld cools, leaving a potential for the spindal to get loose in the casting.

J_Dog

Yeah, pulling the snout out (where it looks like its the swaged on the inside portion of the spindle). Had the left one go on us one race and the right the next. Did learn how to change them out pretty quick now. Baker Motorsports sells these in the links below, but I don't know how much. They look pretty strong. Anyone else that sells them or any suggestions on beefing them up? I thought of welding them, but wasn't sure how well it would be to weld on stock cast ones.

http://www.bakermotorsports.net/images/Dscn0715.jpg
http://www.bakermotorsports.net/images/Dscn0716.jpg
http://www.bakermotorsports.net/images/Dscn0718.jpg

AaronDixon

just MIG weld the back of the spindle around where the pin is pressed in. All your trying to do is keep it from pulling out, so it doesn't have to be pretty. If you were breaking the pin off, that would be another thing...

Greg

I dont mean to sound like a dumb-ass, but if the snout is pressed all the way into the spindal upright, how could it come out (either pushing through because the flange will stop it, or pulling out because the bearings and spindal nut). I could see if the nut pulled off and the snount got beat on and made the press fit hole oval and then the snout would never really be a press fit anymore, but that would be a problem with the cast part and not the snout. The snounts are small, but i personally have never seen one break. But i have seen the thrust flange the inner bearing sits against, literally, get smashed and then let the bearings get loose. I made hardend washers to combat this problem, ive also seen the inner bearing race get loose in the hub and mees things up. Tell me more, I know ryan rose has issues with his spindals too.

WFODAN

My old Ranger had the snout pull completely out of the spindle twice . Niether time was it a bearing problem . It just simply failed and pulled out of the spindle . After we welded the backs of the new spindles it never happened again . Gotta love those press fits .

RRose

the avitar's in this thread are classic!

Jerry Zaiden

What baker is doing is making a new peice to adapt the 4x4 rotors. This is to use the larger wheel bearings. They press and weld in. If you are looking for the stongest way to make "PRE" 1989 spindles this is the way to go. Baker should have these in stock and will do them pretty fast.
The way 1995-1997 spindles press in is with a "flange" This is a stronger design then the 1984-1988 and 1989-1994 spindles. Plus the 1995-1997 spindles have stock trussing making them much stronger. But the one problem is the small outer wheel bearing.
I will take some pics and post them in a few days to show you what I am talking about. <font color="green"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="white"> </font color> <font color="#666666"> </font color>

J_Dog

Dan,
It doesn't appear to be a bearing problem, just the snouts pulling out of the upright portion of the spindle. When it comes off, the whole wheel and brake assembly is still attached, but it breaks our brake line at the junction on the frame. Looks like we will be welding the backs for now. Is the swaged fitting on the inside connected to the snout, and if so, how? The inner part of the snout (opposite end as the threads) has two small holes (one is centered and one is offset), but I don't see any threads inside or anywhere where it looks like it was spot welded or something. The centered hole is wider at the top and smaller diameter at the bottom. The offset hole is one consistent diameter. Does that swaged fitting have pins in it to match the holes in the snout to keep it from spinning inside the upright?

Another question. When you guys gusset the spindles do you normally leave off the brake vent tin after that? Or, do you make it fit aroud the gussets?

Jerry Zaiden

I will post a pictue of the 1988 spindles and show the "stock" pin. This spindle is not as strong as the 1989 and 1995 spindles (in stock form).

RRose

I am a little unclear what Baker is offering. Do you purchase a complete new spindal from them, or can you take your spindal to them, and have a new snout pressed into it? And with the new snout.... we are talking all new bearings, and a new hub?? I have pulled both of my snouts all the way out... to where the nut on them is flush with the spindal upright.... I am sure it is just a matter of time till they completely fail....

Hey "J_Dog"

i was just checking out your post on the ranger spindles about beefing them up. well we cryo spindles for $35 ea. and with the cryo process, you'll get around a 30% to 50% increase in strength, i'm not sure if the spindles wear anywhere on them, but if they do wear, with the cryo process it will be lasting around twice as long. You can check out our website at www.cryoscience.com unfortunately we don't have the spindle pricings on there yet. But anything that you have any questions on, you can just email me or give me a call. good luck with the spindles.

J_Dog

Jerry,
Are the 95-97 spindles a direct replacement for an 85 Ranger? They look a little stronger and with the 2 piston calipers braking would be better. I have a friend who owns an auto dismantler business and I could probably find some from him with the calipers and all for a decent price. Thanks for the info and pics.

Preston,
Thanks for the info. I have checked out your website before, but I will again. Sounds like a viable option, as well. Not a bad price, either.

singlehanded

I am 95 percent sure you cant use the 89-newer spindals on a pre 89 beam.