• Forum membership has its advantages....

RANGERCLASS poll... is this a crazy idea?

Steve Marolda

RANGERCLASS is really meant as an easy way for new people to get involved in racing but we've had interest from many racers looking for an affordable way to take their existing trucks out of moth-balls and get them back to the starting line.

So here are the questions....
What do you think of a "7S Claimer Class"?

Or....
How about a "Run what you brung" claimer class?

T.martin

A more budget minded class is a good idea, but bottom line racing isn't cheap. I race Jeepspeed and the rules are what keep it simple. In order for this to have a chance, look at the Jeepspeed rules. Limit tire size, limit shocks, limit engine mods, limit things to keep costs down but allow enough flexibility to ensure vehicles will finish. If you keep it simple to keep costs down, it won't be a very fast class. Speed costs money.

J Prich

RANGERCLASS is really meant as an easy way for new people to get involved in racing but we've had interest from many racers looking for an affordable way to take their existing trucks out of moth-balls and get them back to the starting line.

So here are the questions....
What do you think of a "7S Claimer Class"?

Or....
How about a "Run what you brung" claimer class?
Steve,
I think the best chance for success is running this in either SNORE or MORE. Needs to have a very simple, basic set of rules that's flexible enough to be desirable to both old and new guys. The current Class 2000 idea really came from MDR and the class 1500 idea of creating a sort of truck "drivers class" in which the suspension was fairly limited and simple. It just didn't get implemented that way and the broad rules that were meant to allow for a wider range of trucks also came at a cost of losing the simplicity. Narrow rules may limit some of the guys who would "want" to run the class, but the trade off is you create a class with simple, easy to follow rules that create an at least somewhat level playing field, without breaking the bank.

To the the gentleman above's point...will they be kind of "slow"? Sure, they aren't going to be super fast trucks. But if you have a field of 10+ trucks battling it out, who cares if you're doing 50 or 100? Racing is racing and if you're all in comparable platforms that's the real fun of it.

Steve Marolda

A more budget minded class is a good idea, but bottom line racing isn't cheap. I race Jeepspeed and the rules are what keep it simple. In order for this to have a chance, look at the Jeepspeed rules. Limit tire size, limit shocks, limit engine mods, limit things to keep costs down but allow enough flexibility to ensure vehicles will finish. If you keep it simple to keep costs down, it won't be a very fast class. Speed costs money.
You're right, speed costs money and that's the problem. Everybody talks about speed but nobody talks about fun anymore. What I think is crazy is spending a half a million bucks on a Trophy Truck to drive in a race where the winning speed 40-50mph. My 7S truck cost $4500 and I guarantee nobody had more fun than me.

RANGERCLASS is about the fun.

Steve Marolda

Can you describe the class you are wanting? The rules? etc?

Present the entire concept, please. Or its gonna look like these threads. (Not organized)
RANGERCLASS is an entry level class meant to make it easy for new people to start racing. This truck is something a guy can build in his garage with with a modest set of tools and minimum fabrication work, basically just the roll cage. The SPEC suspension will be a bolt-on kit. You buy a used Ranger for about $2000, bolt-on $12000 worth of stuff and head for the starting line. We would like see shortened races.... maybe instead of doing 4 laps we only do 3.
This sport was started by a bunch guys who could barely afford pizza and beer at the same time but it has evolved (like all motorsports) into a rich guys playground. We need an truly entry level class to entice new people to become involved because once those rich guys to get bored with their toys and start looking for the next shiny object this sport will dry up and blow away.

Attachments

cynicwanderer

don't make it brand specific. I.e. I think a low entry "race what you brung" is a great idea, but if you make it brand specific, like I-beam Ranger or Jeep or even Class 9 etc... then you are excluding a bunch of people who just want to race something simple and that don't fit the brand. make it generic, like xx" of suspension, limited wheel size, stock concept, watercooled stock 4/6 (under 3000cc). think out of the box, like if someone wanted to slap a honda D16 with asymetric transaxle into something, because they have one laying around, they should as long as the motor is stock and the suspension isn't crazy. having a specific brand/model, people tends to "specialize".

T.martin

I didn't necessarily mean that being slow was a bad thing. I'm still racing Jeepspeed after 10 years because it is fun. I just think that everyone needs to realize that this type of spec class would be one of the slower classes. Too many classes have been changed over the years, because people want more speed. Stable simple rules could lead to a fun class. I would reach out to SNORE and ask them about their class 2000 and get their opinion on how it can be made cheaper.

J Prich

I didn't necessarily mean that being slow was a bad thing. I'm still racing Jeepspeed after 10 years because it is fun. I just think that everyone needs to realize that this type of spec class would be one of the slower classes. Too many classes have been changed over the years, because people want more speed. Stable simple rules could lead to a fun class. I would reach out to SNORE and ask them about their class 2000 and get their opinion on how it can be made cheaper.
2000 has run it's course, in my opinion. The rules are basically wide open beyond having to have leaf springs and you aren't going to walk those rules back. As far as making it cheaper goes, I can't see the organization making the entry fee any lower than it already is. Trying to get outside companies to sponsor and use that money to subsidize entry fees ( more like Jeepspeed does) is one thing, but I can't see any reason why SNORE would say hey sportsman class x, you guys get to pay less to race than sportsman class y and z.

I don't know that you're going to get much cheaper than $450 ish a race in this day and age.

J Prich

For clarity- DO NOT CHANGE CLASS 2000.
Not gonna happen. You have guys with 3.0 (+) bypasses, V-8s, etc...no way anyone at SNORE is going to walk those rules back. That toothpaste is already out of the tube. You could make an argument to change the rules of the 7S Pro class that is already dead after having like 3 entries for one season...the class sort of already exists so you could make a rational argument to take something like that and make it your new rules class, but changing 2000 is DOA.

dan200

#BSF200
Not gonna happen. You have guys with 3.0 (+) bypasses, V-8s, etc...no way anyone at SNORE is going to walk those rules back. That toothpaste is already out of the tube. You could make an argument to change the rules of the 7S Pro class that is already dead after having like 3 entries for one season...the class sort of already exists so you could make a rational argument to take something like that and make it your new rules class, but changing 2000 is DOA.
I'm not into new classes period but if the class we are talking about is gonna have a go then it needs to be standalone and I wanted to be clear with my opinion on that point. And don't go messing with other classes either. 7s pro or whatever.

J Prich

I'm not into new classes period but if the class we are talking about is gonna have a go then it needs to be standalone and I wanted to be clear with my opinion on that point. And don't go messing with other classes either. 7s pro or whatever.
Changing existing classes that no one is racing doesn't hurt my feelings. Nor do new classes, if there is a viable reason to believe there would be participation. If these guys can get 5-10 trucks to show up at a few races, who cares? As Steve has proposed, these wouldn't be guys who are already racing in another SNORE/MORE/BITD class. The ONLY place you see true 7S trucks racing any more is in Mexico. So if they can find a way to get guys who aren't currently racing back out in the dirt, more power to them I say.

Regarding "7S Pro"..this was a questionable deal in some ways in the first place and there are literally zero entries now. It was created as the brain child of a person or two, both of whom raced it for a year and are now both gone. So it exists as a class in SNORE that never really had a decent audience and now is defunct. This "new" old truck class wouldn't take anything away from anyone else and re purposing an existing class that no one is likely to ever see value in anyway doesn't hurt anyone in my humble opinion.

J Prich

I didn't realize until now that the rules are basically specifically for one platform and one motor size. That makes me more a skeptic to be honest. Maybe there are that many old 2wd 4 banger Rangers out there, but I have a feeling you're probably unnecessarily restricting the participant pool.

Steve Marolda

I didn't realize until now that the rules are basically specifically for one platform and one motor size. That makes me more a skeptic to be honest. Maybe there are that many old 2wd 4 banger Rangers out there, but I have a feeling you're probably unnecessarily restricting the participant pool.
JEEPSPEED started with just a bunch of old used-up Cherokee's and they're doing ok.

Steve Marolda

Race what you bring, not "throw alotta cash at something cuz it's cool and out class your class".
No a claimer class is just the opposite... There's maximum spend established and then any race finisher can "claim" - buy the winning truck for that amount of money. That keeps everybody honest.

jon coleman

claimer rule , everyone can enter, but if your 40k rig wins, i get to purchase it for 10k.....think about it...