• Forum membership has its advantages....

Raptor stolen - then recovered an hour later!

johndjmix

So i wake up today, eat some breakfast, feed my dog Dakota....then head out to go to work. As i walk out the door i click my fob and hear nothing. I look up, Raptor is gone. F**K!!!!

First thing i think, my office manager forgot to make the payment. Check the bank...its paid.

Its stolen. Spare key was hidden out of range to start it but somehow he found it. Stealing a car from the average dude...sucks, stealing a raptor from one of us dezert guys....its like having a family member kidnapped.

So i pull up the ford pass app. See the location of it is a few towns over. I call the police and let them know. My buddy comes by and picks me up and we go towards the last location in ford pass. Thats when it updates and i see its moving. Ford pass only updates every 10 mins or so, so as we keep going to the location its at, when we get there its gone allready. Then we get lucky...it updates and shows is only about 3 blocks from where we are. We go look...nothing...then we get really lucky, the theif must have turned around and came back as it drives right by us. We start tailing it and call police. Guy is going very slow, like 5 under the speed limit.

Police were there is about 4 minutes...awesome work by them...the police fly by us and the raptor goes to a dead end. The guy stops, and is taken from my truck at gun point.

This is where I get very very very lucky. There is no damage at all. Not a scratch. MPG indicator shows high, so we can tell he wasn't even beating on it. The only thing that he did was leave some fast food trash in a bag on the floor....and open my survival kit. Everything was there basically. (might be missing one or two things not sure yet).

Maybe he just wanted to drive a Raptor???

He had no corona symptoms, but i wanted to be safe...and the truck felt sleezy after all this, so, 4 hours of cleaning everything with isopropyl, its back to normal.

So, well, kinda dezert racing related.....The lesson for all of our toys:
ALWAYS Make sure every vehicle you have has a GPS tracker in it. The fact the new trucks come with this really saved me from a lot of headaches. It was probably only gone about an hour!

Pic is where they got the guy, at the dead end. Truck is sitting just in front of the white police vehicle.

IMG_8525.JPG

Honda48X

Dry smart on your part to call 911 and have the location for them. I bet you wanted to teach him a little lesson..

jps1145

I always debated getting that app. No more debate! Good story, and good for you for getting your truck back so fast!

johndjmix

The only thing that sucks about the fordpass app is it only updates location every 10 mins or so, so we kept going to spots and missing him, after about 20 mins we got lucky and it updated 3 blocks from us....thats when we found him driving.

--John

PeterT

Crazy... my truck was stolen on Sunday too. Discovered it was gone Monday morning. Filed the police report around 8 am and at about 1:30 I got a call that my vehicle was located. It was picked up by a license plate scanner on a patrol vehicle. The thieves must have been aware that they were spotted. Witnesses said they saw 4 males and a female bail out of it and scatter, no detainees. I was able to get there quick enough that it didn't have to go through impound. The interior is trashed. Cops took out a meth pipe, weed, bolt cutters. There was food containers in the truck and soda spilled everywhere. They stole the remote head unit for my Kenwood TK race radio. Tore up the center console and headliner, I think just to get the OnStar mike. They wrote "F*** the cops" in permanent ink on the dash. The cop on-scene said they wrote that because they couldn't spell "police". Got my truck back, but there is a lot of repair work to do.

johndjmix

Correct. That might have been the reason there was no damage to it...

--John

Dezertpilot

I always debated getting that app. No more debate! Good story, and good for you for getting your truck back so fast!
I use the pass every single day, it's amazing lol.

johndjmix

Its under the flux capacitor. If you borrow it, just be sure you hang on...it gets rough when you hit 88 mph!

--John

John. Where do you keep your spare key, just asking for reference incase I’m in your area and need to BORROW the truck for a day or 2. glad to here you got it back with no real issues.

jon coleman

i got a 95 subaru legacy, anyone can Have it!!, 320k, runs and drives good , no reverse, 29 mpg, ac- cruise, stereo, please' borrow' it!!

Klaus

Administrator
What are good aftermarket vehicle tracking devices to use to combat car theft. Not so much race tracking.

Stealth
Low monthly costs
Wide coverage

PeterT

What are good aftermarket vehicle tracking devices to use to combat car theft. Not so much race tracking.

Stealth
Low monthly costs
Wide coverage
Klaus,
Since my truck was stolen I have been wondering the same thing. Found a couple YouTube videos that talk about using an old iPhone and the Find Friends app as a tracker. Seems like a good, cheap idea.

Klaus

Administrator
Klaus,
Since my truck was stolen I have been wondering the same thing. Found a couple YouTube videos that talk about using an old iPhone and the Find Friends app as a tracker. Seems like a good, cheap idea.
Ohh i like the way that can go... plus your vehicle would have a working phone onboard for other things like play music etc... has a battery for backup operation. I like it. So simple and many cell plans let you add another device into a family plan for next to nothing. And they work globally. Win-Win. Thank you.

isdtbower

I have been using the Garmin trackers. Not cheap but report evry 5 minutes or 2.5 minutes for more $. I can move them between rigs ...or trailer as I wish. Batteries last about 2 months unless driving around every day. Then about 1 month. But you can run them with a USB port. They contact your phone when anything moves and when low batteries. Satellite which works in our offroad areas. I wouldn't have one based on cells. But would be OK for most probably.

Edit. You can also give the tracker to anyone who is taking a trip where you want to have their back. They are really small with minimal weight so good for those that venture out.... Especially dual sport type rides, day trips without buddies, family members on trips, etc. etc. I suppose you could throw them into a backpack or computer case also.

Last edited: