Rarest Mustang

Ziggy

Reaction
What is the most rare Mustang Ford has made?
I found 8 mustangs in good condition in a warehouse I was asked to clean out and sell everything.One of them is a "California Special"

Tipracer

Reaction
kr500 comes to mind....350cs's are not that special....hertz cars are very hard to find and demand A LOT of money..

fordnut

Reaction
It depends on if you are talking about the ones off the assembly line or were done up by people such as Shelby or Tasca Ford. The 1970 Super Boss owned by Bill Goldberg is one of two built.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
It depends on if you are talking about the ones off the assembly line or were done up by people such as Shelby or Tasca Ford. The 1970 Super Boss owned by Bill Goldberg is one of two built.

Ya and the other one was wadded up on a aircraft carrier during the vietnam war

Bajabnd

Reaction

Some of the Saleens have low numbers, a friend of mine has a couple, those guys are are a total drinkin' the kool aid cult...

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I managed to make them a little more collectible by wrapping My 68 around a telephone pole. :rolleyes:

I might be able to match that. I cannibalized a good condition Z16 Chevelle and took the body to the dump, just for parts to keep my 66 El Camino running. Only 201 made, and no, this was not recently. :)

A friend of mine bought a '69 Boss 302 Mustang brand new. A car that never fell out of being very cool.

scapriss

Reaction
There all worth something! What condition are they in? Also what years? I have had too many to remember them all but am always looking for more. e-mail me if your looking to get rid of a few of those dirty old cars. thx Kent

Tech Tim

Reaction
It depends on if you are talking about the ones off the assembly line or were done up by people such as Shelby or Tasca Ford.

That is the question right there. Production Ford or Specialty? Then, out of the later, Production Specialty like a Shelby or Small run Specialty?

The 1970 Super Boss owned by Bill Goldberg is one of two built.

That would be very rare as are the 6 OG 1966 Shelby convertables. But neither of those two were available for purchase by the populace, so would either really count?

Cali Specials can fetch some dough if they are in good conditon. In poor condition they will fetch a $1,000 or so more than a similar condition non-Cali Special car outfitted with the same drivetrain.

Any 1968 and older Convertible is at the upper end of value, even completely clapped out in swiss cheese formation are fetching high dollars.

Brian S.

Reaction
When you ask which one is the rarest, you might want to establish what criterion should be factored into the equation. As FordNut alluded, I think everyone would agree that pre-production prototypes and test mules should not be included in the answer.

Whether it be a Ford Mustang or any other marque, it is generally accepted that the minimum criterion for gauging a car's rarity should include the:

>> year, make, model, body style and original engine.

To narrow it down further, some might also want to factor in the transmission. Others will often factor in paint color, trim and/or other options.

Using the minimum defined above, the rarest Mustang of them all would be VIN 7R03Q133290. Decoded and verified by Kevin Marti, that translates to a one-off:

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 428 cu.in. engine.

This was a standard assembly-line built Mustang at Ford's San Jose plant.

All other big block Mustang convertibles were the S-code 390 cu.in. This is the only one to receive the dual-quad topped 428 cu.in. "Interceptor" engine.

It was ordered by and delivered to Shelby American where became Carroll Shelby's "personal driver." It was the only Mustang convertible ever ordered by and upgraded by Shelby American.

Note: as Tech Tim pointed out there were four '66 GT small block Mustangs that received Shelby VINs, however, they were a creation of a California Ford-Shelby dealer, not Shelby American themselves.

source: www.1967shelbyconvertible.com

slanted66

Reaction
When I was at the Shelby American Collection in Boulder I saw this...1966 Mustang GT350-S. It had a Paxton supercharger installed at the factory. I think they made 55 of them. This one was the only one with GT350-S call our stripes and the first one NOT white and blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 392

Brian S.

Reaction
Posting to correct the record (it's important to do so)...

When you ask which one is the rarest, you might want to establish what criterion should be factored into the equation. As FordNut alluded, I think everyone would agree that pre-production prototypes and test mules should not be included in the answer.

Whether it be a Ford Mustang or any other marque, it is generally accepted that the minimum criterion for gauging a car's rarity should include the:

>> (1) year, (2) make, (3) model, (4) body style and (5) engine.

Using the minimum defined above, the rarest Mustang of them all would be:
Ford VIN 7R03Q133290 / Shelby American VIN: 67413C9A00139

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 428 cu.in. engine.

This was a standard assembly-line built Mustang at Ford's San Jose plant.

All other big block Mustang convertibles were the S-code 390 cu.in. This is the only one to receive the dual-quad topped 428 cu.in. "Ford Cobra 8-cyl 8v carb." engine. Note: the 390 and 428 were physically the same FE block, just with a different bore+stroke.

see: 1967 Shelby GT 500 Convertible - The World's Rarest Mustang - Car 0139 Production Order

The convertible wasn't intended to be a one-off, but rather was just the first one ordered. Unfortunately problems plagued the Shelby American operation from the launch of the '67 program and the plans for a convertible were pushed back until the following year. The one car ordered was still built and delivered in November 1966.

Note: as Tech Tim pointed out there were four '66 GT small block GT350 Shelby convertibles. These were actually considered 'experimental' and their purpose was to test the public's acceptance of a convertible for 1967.

see: 1967 Shelby GT 500 Convertible - 1966-06-07 Staff Meeting Minutes

Note: I could also point out that there's another car that would be tied for the title of rarest. It was the '67 Mustang coupe (some call this a notchback or a hardtop). This car shares the same order/build configuration (428-8v, San Jose) because it was ordered as as Shelby. Shelby VIN 67411H9A00131. This car does not appear to have survived, though it would be tied for 'rarest built production Mustang' since only one was built.

source: www.1967shelbyconvertible.com