rate this fabwork

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
Hey guys, this shop is near me, let me know what you think of there work, I have nothing to do with this shop, so if its bad flame away, I am NOT taking my truck there, but my friend was thinking about taking his, I think they are fine for doing lifts and crap but I dont know about there fabwork. Definately not engineered but better then I could do lol.

Attachments

cleartoy

Reaction
1st pic: The first thing i see when I look is the open ended tubes at the bottom of the fuel cell. It would have looked cleaner if 1 hoop was done rather than 2 straight open tubes and a notched tube between. Other than that I dont really have a problem with it.

2nd pic: Too far away.

3rd pic: I can look at that pic and tell he welded a little at a time to avoid warping the axle....thats good.
Again, if he would have gone 1 piece truss on the top and another single piece on the back of the axle it would have looked cleaner. He is using a horizontally mounted heim at the top of the axle for his link. I would think a vertically mounted heim would be better.

Whats the name of the shop and where is it?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
"He is using a horizontally mounted heim at the top of the axle for his link. I would think a vertically mounted heim would be better."

The way he mounted the heim is correct!

cleartoy

Reaction
Thanks Jerry.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Jerry please elaborate on why you feel he mounted the heim correctly. I am not a fabber nor do I claim to be. It just seems like that would be wrong. The motion of the upper wishbone is up and down similar to an upper control arm. I have never once seen heims mounted that way on an upper control arm and there is a lot more movement on a 3 link. It seems to me that it would go into bind if you had big travel. Thank you in advance.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
On a heim the race is pressed in. So if the bolt went in sideways you stand a chance of the race pressing out of the body. I have seen this happen. Look at Baldwins 3 link the bolt comes in from the top. Look at our 3 link the bolt comes in from the top. These designs do not use the bolt from the side.
Now when you look at a 4 link it is a little different because the bolt is not coming in straight from the side, it has an angle to fight against. But a 3 link is centered. Most fab shops that mount the heim in a 3 link with the bolt coming in from the side are just saving time but not building the setup as strong as they can. Just remember the upper links or wishbone is what holds your rearend in the middle of your truck.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
If the heim pops out of the race it can only move between the inner sides of its mounting plates.On a 3-link with a verticle heim (horizontal bolt) you only need clearance for articulation of one wheel up the other down. On a 3-link with a horizontal heim (vert bolt) you dont need side clearance but clearance on top and bottom of the heim. Either way you mount the heim your probably going to use the same reducers or misalignments. So if a heim pops off in either case your out of it. If a horizontal heim is stronger than why not mount a 4-link with the same method? well it would be twice the fab work making room under the heim for the nut,much easier to mount heims vertically like all the Chrisman rearends. -----

So we've already talked about trailing arms, but not much talk about the choice between a 3-link and 4-link. I can see a load advantage with 4, two bolts and heims to spread the load out, Plus damaged componets are easier to replace, two simple tube arms w/bungs and you get slight side to side adjustments. Whats everbody else's thoughts???

drtdevil93

Reaction
i have seen shops do it both ways. i chose to do mine with the bolt horizontal. i have seen a lot of trucks done this way, and havent seen or heard of anyone having problems with it (not to say that there arent people that have).

erik

ntsqd

Reaction
If I understand Jerry's argument for a verticle bolt arrangment it goes something like this:
With a vert bolt, all lateral dislocation forces on the SRE is out of the ball into the race then the SRE's body. The way forces should be transmitted thru an SRE.
With a horizontal bolt, those dislocation forces are working to remove the race from the SRE body or swage the race open enough for the ball to escape.
Neither design has an advantage over the other in fore/aft force transmission.

I have the same reservations about the current trend in mounting Uni-balls to control arms or uprights with the bolts in roughly the horizontal plane. Any frontal impact is working to remove the race from it's socket or swage the race open enough for the ball to escape. Not the strongest way to transmit the forces.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

drtdevil93

Reaction
TS- i'd agree with you on the lower pivot. on the upper, most built spindles have the axle centered with the lower pivot, putting little stress on the upper pivot. and with the upper arm usually being shorter than the upper, the upper becomes the limiting factor in travel, making a good case for a uniball with the bolt horizontal. i think im half trying to talk myself into this as my frontend is gonna see some changes soon...

erik

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
So since Kudella did it on Baldwins truck it is the way to go? There is nothing normal about the Baldwin trucks and they are true pieces of engineering...who knows how many other components were designed around or with the thought in mind of having the heim mounted like that....

If they thought that strength would be a severe problem there..dont you think they would have 4 linked it and halved the stress on the heims?

They also run there shocks lying down...so maybe thats the way to go too

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

WFODAN

Reaction
On my old black Ranger , the heim was mounted vertically . I never had any problems with it breaking and causing me to be out of a race . Yes , after a while it does wear out , but that's why you change parts like this every race .

Dan Vance

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
The Heim in our upper wish bone has 2 ( 1 1/2/ ) Races and 100 mi of testing. Still perfect!

drtdevil93

Reaction
the heim im my race truck has the bolt horizontal, and has about 300 race miles on it, and no sign of wear .... :)

erik

ntsqd

Reaction
""They also run there shocks lying down...so maybe thats the way to go too""

Not to spoof you Khris, but if they ran Green Valve Covers and had noticably more HP than anyone else, would those be the way to go too ?

Beware of copying what the other guy is doing unless you know for certain why he's doing it and that it will work with your set-up too.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

jwfab1

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I have never once seen heims mounted that way on an upper control arm and there is a lot more movement on a 3 link.

<hr></blockquote>

I havn't seen this done on an upper, nor on a lower arm. But I have seen a uniball mounted that way. This is Dave Winner's truck. Is there any advantage's or disadvantage's, other than limiting travel.

Jason

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
If your refering to the inner pivots they have plenty of travel for the arms. On the spindle upper you have less surface area for the heim to ride on ,your only using the top of the heim not the full diameter of the heim. Usually a vertical heim will give less steering angle at droop due to combined angles.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
That was pure sarcasm Thom...my whole point was to say exactly what you said

"Beware of copying what the other guy is doing unless you know for certain why he's doing it and that it will work with your set-up too."

but in sarcasm.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>