Ray Harvick?

Bredbaker

Reaction
Howdy Everyone!

In my research for the book I find myself stuck to find anything on line about former Stroppe driver, Ray Harvick. Does anyone remember anything or know if he is still around? Any relation to Kevin?

Thanks!!

germancarsonly

Reaction
I knew Ray. I worked for him for a while at his 76 station in Hemet when I was a kid. I also worked in his pit at Cajon Speedway. He raced a Super Stock at Cajon and these were the fastest stock bodied cars west of the Rockies. Ray's car had a Bill Stroppe chassis with a Holman & Moody 427 topped with 4 weber carbs. He was one of the early Stroppe Bronco drivers. In the early days of off-road racing the 4X4 class was dominated by drivers from Hemet. Larry Minor, Rod Hall, Carl Jackson, and Jim Loomis all drove for Stroppe in addition to Ray. For PJ's first off-road race Stroppe paired him with Ray so that Ray could give him tips on desert racing. I think it was the 1978 1000 and it didn't go well. When it was Parnelli's turn to drive he quickly was setting a pace that would destroy the racecar, but he didn't want t to hear it from Ray. They crashed a few times. They would race for a bit, crash, throw a few punches (rumor has it) and then repeat the whole thing all over again. It would be the last time Ray drove a Stroppe racecar. He then drove some for Vic Hickey in a Blazer and then some different buggies. Ray also raced a Jeep at Ascot Park every week. His main competition was Steve McQueen. They put on some excellent races.

The last time I saw Ray was at the 1980 Mint 400. In Contingency, he came up to me to look at my new racecar and approved of it. He was living around Fresno at the time. He might be related to Kevin as it isn't a common name

Bredbaker

Reaction
I knew Ray. I worked for him for a while at his 76 station in Hemet when I was a kid. I also worked in his pit at Cajon Speedway. He raced a Super Stock at Cajon and these were the fastest stock bodied cars west of the Rockies. Ray's car had a Bill Stroppe chassis with a Holman & Moody 427 topped with 4 weber carbs. He was one of the early Stroppe Bronco drivers. In the early days of off-road racing the 4X4 class was dominated by drivers from Hemet. Larry Minor, Rod Hall, Carl Jackson, and Jim Loomis all drove for Stroppe in addition to Ray. For PJ's first off-road race Stroppe paired him with Ray so that Ray could give him tips on desert racing. I think it was the 1978 1000 and it didn't go well. When it was Parnelli's turn to drive he quickly was setting a pace that would destroy the racecar, but he didn't want t to hear it from Ray. They crashed a few times. They would race for a bit, crash, throw a few punches (rumor has it) and then repeat the whole thing all over again. It would be the last time Ray drove a Stroppe racecar. He then drove some for Vic Hickey in a Blazer and then some different buggies. Ray also raced a Jeep at Ascot Park every week. His main competition was Steve McQueen. They put on some excellent races.

The last time I saw Ray was at the 1980 Mint 400. In Contingency, he came up to me to look at my new racecar and approved of it. He was living around Fresno at the time. He might be related to Kevin as it isn't a common name

Thank you, German (?) I appreciate all that input, it's stuff I didn't know before.
It is such an adventure trying to track down all this information, but the people of Race Dezert make it so much easier.

toddz

Reaction
Actually, Parnelli's first race with Ray was the 1968 Mint 400. Interesting stories from that race. Ray continued to drive for Stroppe until about 1970 or 1971.

We had him as part of our Legends Night at the 40th Bronco Anniversary in 2006 in Victorville, CA. He drove his motorhome down and spent the week with us. He was hilarious!

He is Kevin's uncle and was a darn good driver. I'm not sure if he's still living or not, but I assume he is.

Todd Z.

germancarsonly

Reaction
I know in 1969 Ray drove a Chevy factory Blazer some for Vic Hickey. At the 1970 Mint Ray drove a Meyers Towd that I helped prep for the race as part of Don Rountree's Sandwinder team from Riverside.

toddz

Reaction
There must’ve been some back and forth? I know he drove one of Stroppe’s Couriers at least once (which would’ve been later than 69 or 70). He told me he wasn’t interested in driving them because they were too slow and didn’t have enough suspension travel. He admitted in retrospect that he wished he had continued with Stroppe.

Todd Z.

5racer

Reaction
the one to ask would be jim fricker or Dave shoppe both alive in hemet or Jim loomis in hemet also

Bredbaker

Reaction
Sadly, I learned today in a conversation with Larry Minor that Ray passed away not too long ago.
Jim Loomis is alive and well and I should be interviewing him soon.
Jim Fricker is not available for interviews at this time.

toddz

Reaction
I am ray's son. I still have some of my Dad's race memorabilia. he past in February of 2018. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and words. As much of an Old Fat as he was, he will still be missed.

I had lunch with Jim Loomis yesterday and he is as big of a jokester as ever.
Great to hear! Thanks for chiming in here. Your dad was a great guy.

Todd Z.

Team Todo En

Reaction
I am ray's son. I still have some of my Dad's race memorabilia. he past in February of 2018. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and words. As much of an Old Fat as he was, he will still be missed.

Sorry to hear about your father. I was at the Bronco 40th and saw your dad speak with all the old timers. It was something I was really looking forward to at the event, and I'm glad I was able to be there. He was a great guy.

Bredbaker

Reaction

@Talldarknhandsom - I would be interested in hearing from you about anything your Dad left you that might go into the book.
Please contact me via email -- bredbaker at gmail dot com

Jeff2016

Reaction
Howdy Everyone!

In my research for the book I find myself stuck to find anything on line about former Stroppe driver, Ray Harvick. Does anyone remember anything or know if he is still around? Any relation to Kevin?

Thanks!!

This is a pic my Dad took at the '71 Mint 400. Pretty cool to see such a great group of racers as having raced as part of HM / Stroppe, and PJ sitting there so deep in thought. Ray's name really stands out.

PICT0093 1024x768.JPG