I did both lol.

Bought one and modified it heavily.

peezy

Reaction
yeah you got pictures:D

michael_loomis

Reaction
Sure, I'll post some close up stuff.

Basically, I bought a losi light kit, and modded it for more lights. I also bought a 9 volt battery and battery mount to power it.

I'll go take some pics.

peezy

Reaction
ok cool

michael_loomis

Reaction
backside of light bar.. nevermind the yellow LED it will be white when Fry's restocks. 4, 5 volt LEDs. ran two each in series ( thats + to - ) then ran those two groups in parallel to match the 9 volt battery (close anyways).

Below is the Light module. The Losi kit comes with this module, 4 chrome light housings, 2 headlights and 2 tail lights. I cut there LED's off, used the headlight wires to run all 4 of my roof lights, and will use the empty wire they had running the tail light LEDs to run 3 3.2volt LEDs for the rear ( two tail lights, one amber light, not done yet. )

Here is the battery pack. Everything is just double sided taped onto the truck.

peezy

Reaction
backside of light bar.. nevermind the yellow LED it will be white when Fry's restocks. 4, 5 volt LEDs. ran two each in series ( thats + to - ) then ran those two groups in parallel to match the 9 volt battery (close anyways).

Below is the Light module. The Losi kit comes with this module, 4 chrome light housings, 2 headlights and 2 tail lights. I cut there LED's off, used the headlight wires to run all 4 of my roof lights, and will use the empty wire they had running the tail light LEDs to run 3 3.2volt LEDs for the rear ( two tail lights, one amber light, not done yet. )

Here is the battery pack. Everything is just double sided taped onto the truck.

sick, i am hoping to do mine were i can have 2 leds on front bumber and then 4 on the light bar on top, yellow on back cab and then two red on back lights haha

michael_loomis

Reaction
sweet.. it should be fairly easy... just have to keep each light string ran in the correct voltage.

I saw some spinners at the hobby shop by my house.. I was thinkin about making is full disco!

Spinners and under chassis neon! LOL

peezy

Reaction
yeah that would be sweet. i dont want to much lights just fun in the dark haha. what u make your light rack out of to hold the leds?

michael_loomis

Reaction
I bought some 3/16 aluminum rod at the local hardware store, and bent it by hand. I drill 4 holes in it and screwed the lights thru it and a piece of thin sheet metal. Then I slotted the top of the winshield and slid the sheet metal into it and double sided taped it to the roof, lol

peezy

Reaction
what type of LEDs you are useing that will be good if i do try to drive in the dark jajaja.? liek 5mm,10mm

michael_loomis

Reaction
I dunno... there just the standard size LED. What you have to pay attention to, is the voltages...

peezy

Reaction
yeah thats what i am having problems with i want 2.0v lights and i want 6 haha witch is 12v but is there away to use just a 9v battery ?

michael_loomis

Reaction
I've seen 3.2 volt and 3.6 volt as the most common at Frys... run two strings of 3 lights.

you hook the positive side of one LED to the negative of the next... Example... 3.2v + to 3.2v neg = 6.4v, add another in series and it will be 9.6v

Its ok, if your battery voltage is a little lower.. when you OVER power them, they dont like that and fizzle out. Too much voltage drop is bad too.

peezy

Reaction
ok, i will most likly get the 3.2v leds. I will run 4 leds on one string to the light bar on the top. run another string to the 2 in front bumber. so i will have to have two 9v batterys or its all good to take two strings and hook it to one battery?

MikeL

Reaction
Here are two I have done. One was done to an already bashed up Slash, the other was installed on a new body. Both have 5 roof lights, 5 brush guard lights, amber light, four red tail lights, an antenna light, and an interior light. Powered by two 9v on separate switches.

Attachments

peezy

Reaction
sick. Dude all on one string? If you can (I dont think you would) But like draw it out kinda. HAha you dont have to if you dont want too.

Also on the yellow truck what did you duse to house the leds on the top of the body?

It looks sick in the dark dark are the super bright

MikeL

Reaction
They are not all on one string. 5 roofs, 4 rears, 1 amber on one switched 9v. 5 lower fronts, 1 antenna, 1 interior on one switched 9v. The large roofs and lower fronts are very bright white and make night driving easy. The other smaller lights are pretty bright as well.

The housings on the roof on both cars are made from electrical box connectors for shielded wire (like BX or romex wire in your house). I did some cutting and grinding to shape as I wanted. One set is painted black the other is just raw. Very easy to do.

Draw it up? Maybe if I find some spare time on my hands, but that is hard to come by lately.

peezy

Reaction
yeah i will give it a try haha. If all fails i just go buy a light system haha and mod it or something thanks