RC10

bajaboy

Anyone out there still run an RC10 , I'm thinking about buying one next week ? any opinions ?

Bajaboy

dunerking

Make sure it has the newer transmission,it has been a while but I think they call it the Stealth transmission.The old RC10's had like 6 gears inside,no good.Goodluck.

hit it hard

bajaboy

Your right about the transmission , i've been checking out the RC magazines out there and theres lots of ads about the stealth .

Bajaboy

Bryan_D

Go old school with one of the originals with the sweet gold colored aluminum tubs they were indestructable. I used to race them until we started using the graphite chassis. Anyone besides me ever run a Yokamo YZ-10? They were a 4wd electric car and they were the shnit of its time?
How many old school rc racers we got here?
Sorry didnt mean to jack your thread.

Jeep this Oval Boys

dunerking

Was that belt driven,if it was they were quiet as hell.It was a street(on road)car,right?

For Bajaboy,check into the RC10GT or the RC10T3.Personally the gas trucks are the only way to go.But if you are into electric I would say the T3 is nice,I always found it easier to tune the Associated shocks.Goodluck.

hit it hard

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I had one back in late 80s maybe early 90s, but the 4wd was not really a good class to race in so I sold it. I ended my racing with a JRX2 and JRX-T...man that's old school. I started with a Grasshopper then went to a hot shot then to an RC-10 with the gold chassis then losi and traxxis hit the scene and I tried a traxxis TRX-1 and was succesful but then they went downhill as far as race type cars so I stuck with Losi and then I left the RC scene in about 93. I picked up a XXX NT about a year ago and played with it a bit and raced it, but the good tracks are too far now and I dont like having to spend $100 bucks a week on tires, gas, odds and ends!!! IF anybody has a .12 they want to kick down I will put it back together and go racing with you!!!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

bajaboy

I'm just starting out , I think electric is going to be less of a headache . I don't think I have the RC skill yet to handle the speed of a gas car , although the thought of not charging batteries is a consideration ?!

I'm in OC, theres only that track in HB to run a dirt car right ? If any of you guys want to start running your cars again PM me . It might be cool to get all of us racing , I'll have my car by next week . I rather go with a bunch of you guys , those little 12 year olds are actually pretty good and I know they will make me look like a fool !

Bajaboy

Bryan_D

Yes it was belt driven but it was an offroad car that was amazing. I raced when I was like 8or9 and went to Bakersfield for the nationals one year. It was the first year that Losi came out with at truck and the Associated had only been out a few months. Before that we just took a stock RC10 and put a little wider arms and then put the truck tires on them. Actually before that we used the Kyosho Burns 1/8 gas car rims and tires that were like truck tires. Ahhhhh the good ol days.

Jeep this Oval Boys

AllwaysRcn

"How many old school rc racers we got here? "

I'm probably "pre-old school" or more like Pre historic but I still got my Sand Scorcher (tamiya) and my Rough Rider (also tamiya). Those were pre-frog....lol from around 1984 or so???

Bryan_D

I remember the frog and the grasshopper. Do you remember the Midnight Pumpkin that was a truck? Sorry you were ahead of my time also. I was 5 in 84 so that was about 3 years before I started racing.

Jeep this Oval Boys

Kbach66

I'd have to say that I'm semi old school. I had R/C cars since I was like 10, the first one was a hornet, then a sand scorcher. Then stepped up to the RC10. Had a few of those, and lots of on road cars. I raced the Thunderdrome at the cycling velodrome in like '91 and 92, whooped up on some factory guys in the B main for 3rd or 4th!! My pops and I used to go to bakersfield....forget the name of the track but it was off Whites lane or something....anyways, they had a dirt track and onroad track back to back....while one batt was charging for dirt, we were on the road track and vice versa!! Damn....the good days.

Anybody out there ever have a tamiya bruiser, or hi-lux? I remember seeing them at the hobby shop when I was a little buddy....damn they were cool....transmission, differentials, leaf springs!! Now that I'm "established" (which means my pops can't tell me it's a waste of money!) I'd love to get one to 'restore'. I checked on ebay....damn they're pricey! Must be a popular collectors item or something. Oh well.....someday!

dunerking

Wow the famous Rough Rider,all metal parts(or mostly).That was my first car as well,then stepped down and got a Subaru Brat(tamiya),then into the RC10 pre the Stealth transmission,which was a pain in the azz.Got out it for a number of years,but got back into it with the intro of the RC10GT,raced that for about 3 years(Ranch Pit and a bunch of local tracks),but got out of it when my house got broken into.Who ever did it stripped down my sandrail and stole all the parts,stole my gas truck with about $2000 worth of extras and my R/C airplane,thats just starting on what they took.Can't get started about that jsut pisses me off thinking about it.Man I hate thieves!!!!!Now I run cameras all around my house,hard way to learn(and expensive).I wish I could find those puzzies.

hit it hard

fathead1

If you have had a R/C car in the past, I would definately recommend GAS!
I got a T-Max last year after not even driving an R/C car for about 13 years. the few cars I had in the past were all electric
Thank god my wife got me the gas model. I got used to it in a couple of days. Plus, I don't know if it is that much faster than the new electric cars. You could always go with a smaller gear on the motor to slow it down till you get used to it. No more batteries to wear out, just keep putting gas in.
Where are you located? I'm in torrance, maybe we could hook up so you could drive mine before you buy. Hell, why don't we all get together on a saturday or sunday and get some racin in...
What do you guys think??????
Also I have a .15 t-max motor that needs rebuilt if some one needs it....

martininsocal

I had a grasshopper in 1984- upgraded with a 9volt Battery pack, Hot motor(for then) and fluid filled rear shocks. Damn those plastic spider gears!!! Don't throw it into reverse! All heavy plastic body. I then switched to a "flimsy" slot car style truck body(chevy s-10). Before that, my buddy had a Tamiya Funco SS buggy and I had a Lamar (sp) road car. Very slow by todays standards. My kids now have an RC10T3 (good ride) and a Traxxas(I think) Evader. Thing looks good, but falls apart as you look at it. I keep having to go to Pegasus in Montclair for parts every other week! If you want electric RTR, go with the RC10T3, you won't be disappointed.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Bryan_D

Slot cars those are the best. We have a track here in Phx that I used to race at about 2yrs ago. We got a road coures and also a scaled 1/4 mile. My cars were hitting the track at 55-60 actual mph and doing t he track in about .85 seconds. These were the drag cars. Then we had nascar 1/24scales that were pretty quick also. If I were to start over I would buy a t-max and just have fun with it. Do some little things but keep it reliable and not worry if your titanium dog-bones are gonna snap. Just have fun with it.

Jeep this Oval Boys

elcaprerunner

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! It's an Elco!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts