? RCR's FAVORITE?

pciscott

Reaction
? RCR\'s FAVORITE?

Looks like things are looking up for Robby! This is off the Ford Racing page:

CHILDRESS CHANGES ALLEGIANCE
[ 6/12/2002 ]

BY TEAM FORD RACING CORRESPONDENT

Berwick, Pa. — There was one small item omitted from the team press release that announced Richard Childress changing the No. 29 and No. 31 crews. The missing bit of info — the location from which the car’s owner would sit during the Pocono 500.

Childress, who has been wrestling with a combination that would make his three-car operation a little more competitive, has taken a real shine to Robby Gordon, driver of his No. 31 RCR Chevy. Childress has gotten to the point where he’s not hiding his feelings for Gordon; and went so far as to save a chair for Gordon during the Pocono Raceway driver’s meeting. When Gordon walked into the crowded room Childress jumped up waiving to attract Gordon’s attention.

The acid test came prior to the start of the race, as Childress’ war wagon mounted chair was set atop the orange and black Cingular war wagon. Then, moments before the race, Childress came and took his seat at the helm, all the while wearing a smirk that carried a great deal of attitude. The scene was reminiscent of the good old days of the No. 3 car with Childress, Danny “Chocolate” Meyers and Crew Chief Kevin Hamlin all together and looking like there were ready to kick some ass. There is no doubt that the Pocono crew was a cohesive unit — one that was ready to work on with the precious memories of how things used to be.

Making the scene all the more surreal was that the Pocono 500 was the first race since Childress took on GM’s Goodwrench Services sponsorship that he wasn’t perched on that team’s toolbox – so say RCR personnel.

Gordon had a good day going, and looked poised to post a top-10. Things went sour late in the race after a combination of problems knocked him back to a 19th place finish. Kevin Harvick on the other hand had a rough day of it and finished 39th after his car had drive shaft problems.

Apparently Harvick is a free agent at this time, or so one would believe with the number of car owners who claim the driver who has caused a stir in the Winston Cup garage has approached them. One owner, who is looking for talent for next year, was asked if he was tough enough to tame Harvick. After a smile came across the owner’s face he responded, “I don’t know anyone that tough.”

Harvick showed a lot of promise after taking over for the late Dale Earnhardt, but now that some time has passed there are more folks who point towards cheated-up cars rather than driver talent for the impressive runs he had last year.

GO ROBBY GO!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Clifford

Reaction
Re: ? RCR\'s FAVORITE?

Taken from Jayski.com:

Harvick a free agent? Childress switches pitboxes too UPDATE Childress not happy: There was one small item omitted from the team press release that announced Richard Childress changing the #29 and #31 crews. The missing bit of info — the location from which the car’s owner would sit during the Pocono 500. Childress, who has been wrestling with a combination that would make his three-car operation a little more competitive, has taken a real shine to Robby Gordon, driver of his #31 RCR Chevy. Childress has gotten to the point where he’s not hiding his feelings for Gordon; and went so far as to save a chair for Gordon during the Pocono Raceway driver’s meeting. When Gordon walked into the crowded room Childress jumped up waiving to attract Gordon’s attention. The acid test came prior to the start of the race, as Childress’ war wagon mounted chair was set atop the orange and black Cingular war wagon. Then, moments before the race, Childress came and took his seat at the helm, all the while wearing a smirk that carried a great deal of attitude. The Pocono 500 was the first race since Childress took on GM’s Goodwrench Services sponsorship that he wasn’t perched on that team’s toolbox – so say RCR personnel. Apparently Harvick is a free agent at this time, or so one would believe with the number of car owners who claim the driver who has caused a stir in the Winston Cup garage has approached them. One owner, who is looking for talent for next year, was asked if he was tough enough to tame Harvick. After a smile came across the owner’s face he responded, “I don’t know anyone that tough.”(see full story at Ford Racing)(6-12-2002)

UPDATE: Winston Cup car owner Richard Childress criticized Ford Motor Co. and its FordRacing.com Web site for a posted earlier this week claiming Childress watched last weekend's race at Pocono from driver Robby Gordon's pit box because of his disillusion with driver Kevin Harvick. The story, which did not have a byline, also claimed there were "more folks" who said that Harvick's two Winston Cup victories last season came from "cheated-up cars." "It's just like your competition. When you're down they try to kick you. It surprises me it came off that Web site," said Childress, who owns three Chevrolet Cup teams that have struggled this season. "It just surprises me that they want to get involved in starting rumors and making accusations when they don't know what's really going on." Last weekend was the first Harvick's former crew chief and team members from the #29 moved over to Gordon's #31 team, and Gordon's crew chief and team went to the #29. Childress said he moved to Gordon's pit because he has performed duties on the pit box with Kevin Hamlin, now Gordon's crew chief, and planned to continue in that role. "Yes, I'm going to try to help Robby's team because that's the team I've been working with. I can't just desert them and say, 'To hell with it,' " Childress said. "I have just always been on that (#29 team) box. I have always helped call the races with Kevin, that's just always been my position." Ford officials say there was nothing unusual about the story, that it is typical of the content of the Web site, which is intended for fans of Ford Racing. "In terms of Childress being disappointed, I'm sorry if he is, but I haven't heard anyone saying the story wasn't accurate or the story wasn't true," said Kevin Kennedy, public affairs manager for Ford Racing Technology. "The story was done by a professional journalist who is part of the NASCAR scene and is in the garage area every day, and we stand by the story," Kennedy said the Web site has an agreement with its correspondents not to use their names on the stories, so as not to disrupt their professional careers.(ThatsRacin.com)(6-14-2002)

Ryno

Reaction
Re: ? RCR\'s FAVORITE?

Maybe I am missing something here? News off the Ford website about a Chevy team? Is the TT raced by RG gonna be bowtie or blue oval? I would hate to see Robbie go back to Ford, just when Chevy is starting to compete. RCR is known for seeing talent, but after Dale passed, there has been a black cloud over the team. Anyone with any info?

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.